VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I was wondering if someone could please help me out. I am running a mac with QT Pro, Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro. I have several mpeg2 files that I would like to make into a DVD. Someone told me before that I had to convert the mpeg2 into a DV Stream, via QT Pro, in order to bring it into FCP. I was wondering if anyone has done this before and have seen a visablly noticable quality loss. Also, when I am finished editing it on FCP and wish to save it as an mpeg2 for DVD Studio Pro, will there be another quality loss due to conversion again? If I am doing this all wrong please help me. Thank you!

Case 5
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The quality loss is noticeable, and yes, you will lose quality in both the conversion to DV, and then back to MPEG2. If it's just the mpeg2 video that needs to be converted, you can use the freeware Diva to convert it for you. If you want to use QTPro, you'll also need the MPEG2 Playback Component. If there's audio as well, I'd suggest using DVDxDV to do the conversion.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  3. For best quality you could author the MPEGs as DVD with Toast, DVDSP etc if they are within DVD spec.

If you accept the quality loss or must edit the footage, you can convert MPEG to DV with MPEG Streamclip, for example.

MPEG Streamclip, DVDxDV and Toast Titanium 6 provide the easiest way to convert MPEG to DV. I'd suggest you try MPEG Streamclip first and see if it does the job for you.

MPEG Streamclip ($0) converts MPEG files (including transport streams) into muxed, demuxed, QuickTime or DV files, so you can easily import them in iMovie, Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro and Toast 6. MPEG2 conversions require the $20 Apple MPEG2 Playback Component (you can buy it online from Apple, but you already have it if you use either Final Cut Pro 4/HD or DVD Studio Pro). MPEG Streamclip also includes a player to set In and Out points, and perform a partial conversion. Support for AC3 audio is not available in the current version, but it may be added soon. You can also concatenate MPEG files but remeber to choose "Edit/Fix Timecode Breaks" before selecting "File/Convert to MPEG" after opening several .mpg files.

To convert from a DVD or MPEG to DV with MPEG Streamclip (v1.0.2 or later): Open a desired .VOB on a DVD (DVD/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB, for example) or a MPEG file. Select the In/Out points if you want to extract just a portion of the video. Choose File/Export to DV.../Compression: DV (DV25). Choose "Split DV stream in Segments" if the content is more than 9 minutes 27 seconds because iMovie can't handle longer clip files. You can import the converted .dv to iMovie or export it directly into iMovie project's Media folder to save time and HD space (iMovie prompts you what to do with the clip when the project is opened).

http://www.alfanet.it/squared5/mpegstreamclip.html
    http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/mpeg2playback/

DVDxDV ($25) can convert MPEG on a DVD to DV. It can also convert VIDEO_TS folders and .VOB files.

PAL users need to be aware that DVDxDV v1.092t's iMovie PAL preset exports as PAL-DVCPRO instead of PAL-DV. iMovie can re-import such PAL-DVCPRO .dv file but at least the Sony TRV320E refuses to play it in passthrough to camcorder mode: the camcorder screen remains blank and only audio is played if the clip is PAL-DVCPRO. iMovie 4 also distorts the video if a title is applied to such imported PAL-DVCPRO clip.

<http://www.dvdxdv.com/>

In Toast ($100), select the Video tab, add the *.mpg or *.VOB files or drag a DVD or a VIDEO_TS folder to Toast's window, select the files in the list, choose Disc/Export Video... and Toast converts them with audio to DV streams. The converted files may even be on the (X)SVCD or DVD disk so no ripping is needed.

http://www.roxio.com/

DropDV ($20) can convert MPEG1 and MPEG2 streams to .dv. v1.1.6 doesn't yet proerly convert PAL because it unproperly scales the image causing interlacing artifacts. It also has trouble with some MPEG timestamps and skips frames -- a workaround is to turn OFF "Synchronize Video to MPEG PTS timestamps" in the DropDV Preferences.

http://www.dropdv.com/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately, MPEG Streamclip does not support AC3 audio (the most common DVD audio format) at this time (v. 1.0.2). Until that support is added, this will be of limited use to most people. It also requires the QuickTime MPEG2 Playback Component to decode MPEG2.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  5. Check "ExportToQT" too:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22331

15$ shareware..

ProductÂ*Description:

This application will help You to export Your MPEG1/MPEG2/VRO/ReplayTV/TiVo/VOB/Hitachi VRO files to ANY QuickTime codec You have installed...

Product Requirements:

Mac OS X 10.3 or later
    QuickTime 6.5.1 Pro or later or later
    Apple MPEG2 QuickTime component
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Havema-1, I know that you answered this question in 2004 but I am needing help with converting .VOB files with MPEG StreamClip to MPEG4. I went on Apple's site to check out the MPEG2 Playback Component and found that there were quite a few angry people on their forum writing in about the fact that the Playback Component did not work for them. They had the video portion of whatever they were converting, but not the audio portion. Now, this will be useless to me, as well, if I don't have the audio portion of the video.

I have a DVD of soprano performances created for me at a lab from video tape, and in .VOB format. I'm trying to convert them to MPEG4 so that I can upload them to my own music website as well as You Tube. I don't want to waste my money if the Playback Component only works for 50% of those who buy it. Is there anything else I can do?

I have a MAC PowerBook G4 OSX 10.4.11.

Thank you!

MLK3329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MLK3329 View Post
    I went on Apple's site to check out the MPEG2 Playback Component and found that there were quite a few angry people on their forum writing in about the fact that the Playback Component did not work for them. They had the video portion of whatever they were converting, but not the audio portion. Now, this will be useless to me, as well, if I don't have the audio portion of the video.
    The MPEG-2 Playback Component only decodes MPEG-2 video. That part is true. It is mentioned on the Apple site a bit more clearly since the latest re-design, but the Overview on this component is hidden behind the 'Buy' button for this component. (You don't have to actually buy to read it though.)
    MPEG Streamclip has its own routines to handle audio in VOB/TS/MPG files, AC3 in particular, and only needing decoding assistance from components for the video part. MPEG Streamclip with the MPEG-2 Playback Component has been able to convert from unprotected DVD to MP4.
    Quote Quote  
  8. try ReduxEncoder, it has a preset for such a task..it is based on Visualhub which was my favorite conversion tool before it was discontinued...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Case and Pixel Zombie!

I appreciate your quick responses to my question. So...Case you are saying that the MPEG2 Playback Component should work for me after I buy it? And Pixal Zombie, you're recommending ReduxEncoder. I'll check them both out and let you know what happens.

Baldrick had suggested using Handbrake, but my Mac is a 2005 model and they no longer support it officially. I tried the 0.9.4 version that Handbrake suggested for older Mac's such as mine, but I couldn't get it to open after download. I was hoping that Handbrake was the answer to my dilemma.

Thanks!
    MLK3329
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OOOPPPS! Pixel Zombie was answering a question from 2004! LOL....LOL....LOL Sorry Case!

MLK3329
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    NO...you were answering me Pixel Zombie! Sorry again! I just saw the 2004 date when you joined the forum. I'm at work and rushing to send you my thank you's for your suggestions...not supposed to be using company time for this don't you know. LOL

Thanks again!
    MLK3329
    Quote Quote