VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by Sabro
    As for the other, I thought only gurls (no offense ladies) were the only ones that said SHRINKage sucks....hmmm
    Women want shrinkage, that's why Chinese Shrink Cream sells so well

It's the men that fear shrinkage

Search PM
    Originally Posted by Jah_Rankin
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    AFAIK No Compression means that it is just ripping the files and not transcoding them in any way. How can just ripping the files change colors ?
    When one chooses main movie only the transcoder have to seperate the other files from the movie, so there's some sort of conversion taking place, it may not do a full re encode, transcode, what ever u want to call it but it make some sort of conversion. If u look at the skin tones u will notice some parts are darker than others.
    Let's think about it logically, shall we ?

I would think it does is a direct stream copy if you like of the main movie, just like IFOEdit or Smartripper or DVDDecrypter or any other software would. It reads the IFO file and copies the cells. I wouldn't think it applies any filters or anything on the movie.

Have you had better results using something like DVDDecrypter or Smartripper ?
    If in doubt, Google it.

3. I'm not sure what the conversion process insist of but i know what my eyes can tell. My theory were clearly demonstrated in the snapshot posted earlier with the dark looking skin tones.
    AFAIK No Compression means that it is just ripping the files and not transcoding them in any way. How can just ripping the files change colors ?
    When one chooses main movie only the transcoder have to seperate the other files from the movie, so there's some sort of conversion taking place, it may not do a full re encode, transcode, what ever u want to call it but it make some sort of conversion. If u look at the skin tones u will notice some parts are darker than others.
    Let's think about it logically, shall we ?

I would think it does is a direct stream copy if you like of the main movie, just like IFOEdit or Smartripper or DVDDecrypter or any other software would. It reads the IFO file and copies the cells. I wouldn't think it applies any filters or anything on the movie.

Have you had better results using something like DVDDecrypter or Smartripper ?
    Live Life 2 The Fullest, Live The Life U Luv & Luv The Life U Live!

4. Originally Posted by hech54
    Very funny, Good 1, but not good enough. I can tell u however if u look on the skin tone of the actor face on both pics u can see those dark skin tones I'm refering too.
    Hey knucklehead...what about my previous post?

When Jah_RankinShrink is released...and it's also free...please let us know so we can evaluate it.
    If I release a product It will not be free for cheap rug rats like to utilize, spend some $$$ cheap bastard. The so called free apps is good for what it's worth, but the pic quality is still lousy as far as I can tell.

5. Originally Posted by ricky1756
    Did u know that this improves vision and thought process????? You're supposed to change the bong water, not drink it
    Bong water is healthier to drink than urine. After you run out of urine to drink hollar @ me and I'll get you some Imported bong water.

Search PM
    If I release a product It will not be free for cheap rug rats like to utilize, spend some $$$ cheap bastard. The so called free apps is good for what it's worth, but the pic quality is still lousy as far as I can tell.
    pot-kettle-black ?

Is this the picture you wer referring to ?

I am guessing that the top one is possibly the shrunk one according to your theory of darker skin tones. Don't forget this one was at 60.1% compression, whereas you claim that yours is happening at 100% (No compression).
    If in doubt, Google it.

7. Originally Posted by Jah_Rankin
    My theory were clearly demonstrated in the snapshot posted earlier with the dark looking skin tones
    Jah_Rankin, could you let me know exactly how your "theory" was demonstrated?
    ddlooping
    For DVD Shrink guides & goodies: DVDShrink.info
    My "other" site: Teaching-Tools

8. Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    pot-kettle-black ?

Is this the picture you wer referring to ?

I am guessing that the top one is possibly the shrunk one according to your theory of darker skin tones. Don't forget this one was at 60.1% compression, whereas you claim that yours is happening at 100% (No compression).
    So the correct comparison would be with a movie that needs no compression right?

9. Originally Posted by ddlooping
    My theory were clearly demonstrated in the snapshot posted earlier with the dark looking skin tones
    Jah_Rankin, could you let me know exactly how your "theory" was demonstrated?

All one have to do is Look @ the pic. . The black undertones is clearly visible in the snapshot.

10. Originally Posted by zappafan
    Blahh, Blahh, I copied GOD SEND, DORM DAZE, and LAWS OF DATING, Movie only mode, all 3 needed no compression, but the pic was lousy! There were discoloration, especially on skin tones. So u all can take that to the bank. The pic was clear but if one look 's at the flesh tones and finer details the flaws are there!!!!!.
    "God Send" = "Godsend" and "Laws of Dating" is probably = "Laws of Attraction"

There "were" discoloration!!!

Judging by your spelling and syntax I wouldn't take your word for anything.
    Hoop ti dooo, a few typo's and that makes you a science major now huh?

11. well i too am a cheap bastage and enjoy the time and effort and time put in to a prgram that i can use for free. so that i dont confuse anybody i suggest that if you want the best possible copy that you have 2 options. 1. spend a little $$$$ you cheap &*^%$# and buy the orignal or 2. buy yourself a dual layer burner with dual layer media and do a 1:1 with out any transcoding or compression. i think that my be your best option but then again thats just my dvdshrink 2 cents.

Search PM
    @ddlooping:

I too can tell that the skin color is darker in the top picture. However I believe this is because it was at 60.1% compression. I would like to see the frame comparision using no compression (no compression = original?)
    If in doubt, Google it.

Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    Very funny, Good 1, but not good enough. I can tell u however if u look on the skin tone of the actor face on both pics u can see those dark skin tones I'm refering too.
    Hey knucklehead...what about my previous post?

When Jah_RankinShrink is released...and it's also free...please let us know so we can evaluate it.
    Daddy's cash spends so well doesn't it?

14. Originally Posted by Jah_Rankin
    All one have to do is Look @ the pic. . The black undertones is clearly visible in the snapshot.
    Sorry, Jah_Rankin, I still don't get it.
    According to your theory, the top one shows black undertones, and is from the DVD Shrink backup?
    ddlooping

Search PM
    I'm outta here. You can't talk sense to someone that can't talk sense themselves.
    If in doubt, Google it.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ddlooping
    I fail to see what's funny about it.
    The top image is from the unprocessed copy (DVD Decrypter rip), the second one from the DVD Shrink v3.2 Deep Analysis "Maximum Smoothness" backup at 60.1%.

P.S: it could be 60.9%, I can't remember.

In any case, just use whatever you're happy with.
    funny - #2 looks better ... look along the top edge of his left shoulder
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)

Search Comp PM
    Blahh, Blahh, I copied GOD SEND, DORM DAZE, and LAWS OF DATING, Movie only mode, all 3 needed no compression, but the pic was lousy! There were discoloration, especially on skin tones. So u all can take that to the bank. The pic was clear but if one look 's at the flesh tones and finer details the flaws are there!!!!!.
    If they didn't need compression then why didn't you just use DVD Decrypter in ISO read/write mode?

DVDshrink is free and you used it, so by your definition..you are a cheap bastard

You're always going to get better results if you use the proper programs for the job at hand.

18. BJ_M, just out of curiosity, why does the top edge of Gandalf's left shoulder look better to you?
    ddlooping

Search Comp PM
    BJ_M, just out of curiosity, why does the top edge of Gandalf's left shoulder look better to you?
    there is a slight raggyness in the original that was not in the backup in that one spot -- also , there is a thread which shows in the backup but not to much at all in the original - which i find rather strange ...

you sure you didnt reverse these ?

it may of been caused by the resizing and compression for the web ..
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)

Search Comp PM
    if you stare at it awhile -- # 2 does look a tad softer though --mostly in the robe

21. I'm sure I didn't reverse the pictures.

Not sure why there'd be a thread showing in the DVD Shrink version and not the original.
    Maybe it's actually a compression artefact and not a thread.
    ddlooping

22. not for nothin, but dvd shrink is THE BEST copy software i have ever seen. dvdxcopy can't eve touch shrink with a 10 foot pole. there are none better and the new 3.2 is even better.

i dun know what jah is smokin but what ever it is, it isn't any good for his eyes.

Search Comp PM
    I don't think Jah is smoking anything. Maybe he should be! 8)

DVDShrink is brilliant.

No, I don't use it to copy "Lord of the Rings" etc... I use it when TMPG DVD Author tells me my project is oversize, so I shrink it down to DVD size!

PERFECT quality!!!!!!

Search Comp PM
    i thought dvd2one is supposed to be slightly better quality , i don't know myself ..

some people swear by one , some by another ..

how do you compare the two ?

25. Originally Posted by BJ_M
    You make backups of the same title, using identical compression ratios, then you watch them.
    You do the same with different titles, then pick the one that gives you better results overal.
    ddlooping

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    You make backups of the same title, using identical compression ratios, then you watch them.
    You do the same with different titles, then pick the one that gives you better results overal.
    i'm to lazy -- i KNOW how to compare --- but i'm interisted in what others thought so i dont have to bother ...

27. Oops, I guess I misunderstood you.

You could always compare using the following.
    Most of the work has been done for you.

http://www.dvdshrink.info/temp/beta/comparative_tests.html

These test were done with DVD Shrink v3.2 beta3.
    Others are available (see links on the page) but do not involve DVD2One.
    The results of the v3.2 b3 tests told me all I needed to know.

P.S: keep in mind there's been a noticeable improvement between v3.2 b3 and v3.2.0.15
    ddlooping

Search Comp PM
    thanks

shrink does look better it does appear --

29. You're welcome.
    ddlooping

30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dude, you know what's hilarious? You never, in all 5 or so of your posts talking about the obvious differences between the two pics, specified WHICH of the two pics was the one with these discolorations. This leads me to believe you really couldn't tell (as I couldn't tell) which pic was from the original and which one was the compressed video. Maybe with a lot of analyzing you could see the difference, but it's definitely not obvious, and very impressive at 60% compression. Although I do think you can't do a real comparison based on still frames. You have to see the video playing to really test the quality.

I too have thought the same thing as Jah_Rankin before when simply taking the main movie from a DVD and leaving it uncompressed. However, this always happens when playing it in PowerDVD on my computer. After playing the original, also on my computer, I realized that DVD's just don't look that great when viewed close up on a computer monitor. When played on a regular television, I get the picture that I'm used to. No compression = no change, right?