VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    Wow, the exchange rate for you Brits is fantastic over here:

We'd love to have you over for sightseeing and the like.

By the way, do you guys and gals buy US dvds and watch them on region free dvd players to save money?? Those rates are terrific.

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i don't buy R1 DVD's because i only just got a progressive DVD player, don't have a progressive TV. i'd rather have my film in 720x576 than 720x480 anyway...

It is a good rate, it went as high is 1.89 dollars to the pound a few weeks ago. it's almost worth exchanging my savings for dollars and waiting for them to increase in value. if that ever happens
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Flan - Is there any difference in the 96 extra horizontal (I think?) pixels??

Kevin

--By the way, I know there was a thread about Pal vs Ntsc but isn't just a matter of what you have access to? Why convert if you can get a perfectly acceptable disc in one format or the other?--
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. The rate was better, and yes I do buy R1 discs but recently I have preferred to buy from Japan
    If it's wet, drink it

My DVD Collection
    Quote Quote  
  5. I do have some region 1 discs, but I only buy them if I cant get what I want on region 2. EG Malcolm in the middle, Goonies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure how easy the extra pixels are to spot, but it's a 20% increase. When you factor that in with the 3:2 Telecine for NTSC (which i find ugly, although i know most don't see it at all) and the poor quality NTSC circuit in most TV's over here (poor in comparison to PAL at any rate) and it becomes worth the £3 extra for a R2 disc. plus what happens if you want to lend a disc to friend who has a R2 only dvd player, or a TV that doesn't do NTSC or PAL 60. or if your main DVD player is multi region and your others are not (as in my case).

I can see the saving would attract some people, but it's not for me.

Russ' situation is different, the japs use R2 with NTSC...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Flan - Thanks for the reply on the pixels. Also, I guess part of it is getting what's readily available. I mean if you use ntsc why not get ntsc (or vice versa with pal)?

Also, the Japanese NTSC - is that the same NTSC we use in the US? I was thinking of looking for a disc I have that is PAL but might be available in Japan. That way if I bought it all I would have to do is back it up as a region free disc and no frame rate conversion would be needed (correct?). (It's a music video compilation so I could just strip out the audio and put in the English if it's dubbed).

Kevin
    Quote Quote  
  8. Typical rate. I cashed a uk ten note at bank of america & after they took their share, came out to about $17.50 US
    Quote Quote