VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. well -- I'm happy to be the one to awaken a dead post! I bought this player 2 years ago but have hardly ever used the compressed video options. now i'm interested in doing so.

I will try to re-encode the xvid I guess as something else. (You're right -- on a Mac nothing that I know of tells me the information that you say Gspot does.)

What about the question of whether I need to burn in ISO format or if "Windows" (Julliet I suppose) format is fine?

Also now I'm faced with a different problem:

the .srt files won't play as subtitles on another set of MPEG-4 avis that do play fine (the video). The .srt files themselves show in the Data CD browser with an icon that is a red question mark with a circle. Is this normal?

should .srt subtitles play automatically, or do you have to turn them on? if i have to turn them on i may be SOL because I cannot find the original remote with a subtitle button -- I have a universal remote programmed for philips DVD.

thanks for indulging this somewhat off topic diversion.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by redrocklobster
    the .srt files won't play as subtitles on another set of MPEG-4 avis that do play fine (the video). The .srt files themselves show in the Data CD browser with an icon that is a red question mark with a circle. Is this normal?
    It's been a while since I've dealt with the DVP-642, but I think you need a firmware update.

Originally Posted by redrocklobster
    should .srt subtitles play automatically, or do you have to turn them on? if i have to turn them on i may be SOL because I cannot find the original remote with a subtitle button -- I have a universal remote programmed for philips DVD.

thanks for indulging this somewhat off topic diversion.
    I believe you select the subtitle file first, the select the video:

http://home.wi.rr.com/ntngod/dvp642_vs_dvp5140/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can use VLC or mplayer to get a little more information about a specific video file.

A standard data CD should be fine, but it'll help if you rename everything to the old 8.3 standard (filenames with a limit of eight characters, plus a period and a three-letter extension (such as .avi))

If the .srt files are in the format the 642 is expecting, the icon next to them will be a 'speech bubble' with an ellipsis in it ("..."). To use subtitles, they have to have the exact same name as the movie (if you have movie.avi, the subtitles must be movie.srt. .smi and .sub formats are also supposedly supported, according to the instruction manual, but the .srt/.smi/.sub files must be text-format (not image format). Then, you have to highlight the subtitle file, press Subtitle on the remote, then start the AVI. Does your universal remote have a Subtitle button equivalent?
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks so much for the info people... But still having problems here.

VLC does not give the information needed about GMC -- but never mind that, I will re-encode. The big problem right now is the subtitles.

I have burned in ISO with the old filename standard. the .srt and the .avi files have the same file name. they are in text format also (I didn't even know they had image format). Here is an example from one of the .srt files:

00:00:04,980 --> 00:00:11,089
    Skeleton Shrimp and Spider Crabs

00:00:36,700 --> 00:00:38,053
    Skeleton shrimp

Now then, they still show up with that question mark icon rather than the speech bubble icon. So I cannot even get to the point where I could press subtitle on the remote. If I select this file on the player and hit ok nothing happens.

The firmware of the player is 1223 (factory, never flashed).

Sadly the Universal remote I have does not have a subtitle button! So I was hoping it would just play automatically if there is an equivalent .srt file in the same directory.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll admit I haven't done much work with subtitles on a Mac, so I can't necessarily recommend a good app to check .srt files and fix errors in them... but I did a quick search, and wonder if this might help:

SubCleaner 1.0b4 (at MacUpdate)
    (seems to require Tiger)

I also ran a few tests against my 642:
    'valid' SRT: OK button doesn't select, but Subtitle button does
    'invalid' SRT (question mark): OK and Subtitle button do not select.

I've seen a few universal remotes that may approximate other button codes if you press more than one button, or have a Shift/Alt button... but in this case, it'd probably be better just to contact Philips and get a replacement remote. 'Subtitle' might well be one of those odd/exclusive buttons that won't have a universal remote equivalent.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks, ai. i used SubCleaner on all the .srt files, and it showed a successful message for each. then i re-burned the disk, but unfortunately i still get the (?) icon next to each. not sure what the problem is.

The humorous news is that I called Philips customer support again, and this time, after explaining that the .srt files weren't working and displayed the icon described next to them, was asked or told the following:

1. i should clean my lens (i explained that the media read fine)
    2. i was asked whether i could hear any sound (i said the divx played fine, it was the subtitles)
    3. after a long hold, was then told that the player would only display images if they were in jpeg format.

then i got a supervisor who told asked me, after me explaining again that the .srt files wouldn't play, what the file extension of the .srt files were, to which i said, uh, ".srt".

oh, the supervisor also told me the latest "software" for the dvp642 was 2.3.2 (oh really I though it was 4 digits and I had 1123?, oh, she said, i thought the "11" was a "II"...) and she said, despite what people have said here about not being able to flash the firmware on newer dvp642, that you could still upgrade the "software".

they need some people at tech there who have some clue. thank god there are these user forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not entirely convinced (yet) that the latest model of the 642 can't be re-flashed. I don't think there have been any firmware updates since its release, though.

Yeah, the 642 does seem fairly picky about its subtitle files. I spent a LOT of time trying to get the subtitles on a recent compilation disc to 'work' (or rather, get the 642 to recognize that there was nothing wrong with them, in my opinion ). The .srt files appeared to have nothing wrong with them, but the 642 still displayed the question marks. I finally ended up running the .srt files through TWO different subtitle fixing programs on a PC to be relatively sure and running a utility on the directory with the videos and subtitle files to make sure everything was all renamed in lower-case letters. Fortunately, I used a DVD-RW for all those attempts... this time.

And while I was running those tests earlier today, I used an old data DVD with a few .srt files I knew were bad (garbage data before the first line, but I didn't see it before I burned), for which the 642 had correctly displayed the question marks in the past.
    Today, it displayed the speech bubble icon for them, even though it still wouldn't let me select them. Weird.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, the DVP-642 is picky about subtitles files. I remember having a problem with one where I edited the file under Unix and it refused to play it. Unix uses a different new line character than Windows (which actually uses 2 characters for this) and only after I changed the Unix LF to a Windows CR-LF did it work OK.

Warning - I have NEVER been able to get any kind of HTML code like ... to work with this player. I can't make anything bold or indented in SRT format. Please also note that ONLY Latin and Cyrillic character sets work on this player and if you are trying to do something like display, say, Arabic subtitles, it is NEVER going to work.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Well... Even though I have a Mac, I ran the SRT files through a program called OpenSrt, which has a parameter file setup. Unfortunately they don't have a parameter file for the DVP642, just the Philips DVP-720, which I used. Then after seeing this post I verified that all the line endings are CR-LF (Windows). After burning, none of them work (all question marks). Zero of them from 3 or 4 different movies. I now have the original remote too and teh subtitle button doesn't do anything on those files.

The only other thing I can think of is the text encoding of these files, which is Western (Mac OS Roman). Not sure why since they were last saved under Windows XP. (But now I'm opening them with BBEdit on Mac oS X.) Could that make a difference?

And although this is off topic, I'd appreciate a recommendation of a player that DOES handle SRT & SUB subtitle files and handles XVID and DIVX well and fast. (This 642 is almost useless with at least 50% of the XVID and DIVX I want to play -- decoder is doo slow or maybe out of date.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure. At this rate, I'd have to take a really close look at the subtitle files I have, that the 642 doesn't complain about, to see how they're structured (including line endings). Text encoding could make a difference, but I'm not sure about that, either... as long as it appears to be plain ASCII.

What format are you using when burning the discs? ISO9660? I'm not sure whether or not that has a bearing, either, but at this rate...
    Quote Quote  
  11. i've tried ISO as well as Mac/Windows (ie = Windows) and both have the same result.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by redrocklobster
    The only other thing I can think of is the text encoding of these files, which is Western (Mac OS Roman). Not sure why since they were last saved under Windows XP. (But now I'm opening them with BBEdit on Mac oS X.) Could that make a difference?
    That sounds suspicious. Plain text files have no information about the encoding. I wonder if you have Unicode SRT files? Unicode uses 16 bit characters rather than 8 bit characters.

Although I don't know anything about BBEdit -- maybe it always just says Western encoding with plain text files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you would like to PM me your email, I will pass along a known good srt file. With a known good file, you can just burn and test. We can also exchange files, and I can verify if your "verified" files from your MAC software, are indeed valid.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've sent the srt file to you via email.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  15. guess what krispy? the file you sent didn't work either. but how's this for weirdness. i found in another thread in this forum that if i rename my .srt file to:

filename.srt;1

then it works! with the original encoding, format, no reconversion or cleaning (i did several different tests). the original line endings were CRLF and I didn't change that. FYI the file u sent had LF line endings (not CRLF).

i have no idea WHY this works but it does.

my question now is if i go ahead and rename .srt like this before burning, will that then mean they won't play on other players? and if this is the case, what if i put both versions in the folders (ie one with .srt and one renamed .srt;1)

hmm.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Which thread was this?

It's possible that the different extension might trip up some stand-alone players, depending upon whether or not (and how) they check extensions. Some do go a step further, and check things like AVI FourCCs. But, it probably wouldn't hurt to have a regular '.srt' copy around as well, since it really doesn't take up much space on the discs, as opposed to the videos.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Here are a few more data points:

I made an ISO data DVD with Nero Burning ROM. I didn't have any "bad" SRT files so I used a normal one -- 8 bit ASCII text with CR LF terminated lines. I used and old 4x DVD+RW for testing. I dragged:

FILE.AVI
    FILE.SRT;1

to Nero's compilation window. It automatically renamed the SRT file to:

FILE.SRT_1

After burning Windows showed:

FILE.AVI
    FILE.SRT_1

I tried the resulting DVD in a Philips DVP-5960, a Liteon LVD-2002, and Media Player Classic.

The Philips 5960 showed only FILE (it doesn't show extensions and it doesn't list SRT files) but when I played FILE I was able to get subtitles by pressing the Subtitle button on the remote.

The Liteon 2002 showed FILE.AVI (it does show extensions but doesn't list SRT files). It did not display the SRT subs when I pressed the Subtitle button. With a normal SRT extension this player displays the subs.

Media Player Classic did not display the subs. With a normal SRT extension the subs are automatically displayed.

I repeated the experiment with the UDF file system. Nero allowed FILE.SRT;1 as a filename. Windows showed both files as they were originally named.

The Philips 5960 did everything exactly the same as with the ISO disc. The Liteon 2002 just displayed a format error message (it doesn't play UDF). MPC didn't display the subs.

Lastly, I copied the two files to a FAT formatted USB thumb drive. Windows listed the files with the correct names (the munged 8.3 name of the SRT was FILE~1.SRT). The Philips 5960 did exactly the same thing as with the ISO and UDF discs.
    Quote Quote