VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by thecoalman
    If your looking for something that's not going to break the bank go with the bargain basement $500 DELL or Gateway. Those prices are hard to beat even if you put it together yourself.

If your looking for something with some juice try this site www.abspc.com The reason I suggest them is a few. Number one is the price, compare one of their systems to a comparable DELL and you'll see a signifigant difference. They also use all non-propietary components that comes with all the original manuals and documentation including the one for the motherboard. Their tech support isn't great but they'll get it fixed for you if anything goes wrong.

-or-

Build it yourself, it's really not that hard. The only downside to building your own machine is that you won't get a blanket warranty like you would from DELL or other assemblers.
    By bargain basement you mean? Figure of speech? You make it sound like a place...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Bearbegr
    Bargain Basement? Wheres that?
    I think it's a figure of speech, not a place
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. This is a bunch of baloney.

DELL systems (as well as Compaq, HP, Sony, etc etc) all have the same ATX standard cases/PSUs. Motherboards, again, many are using standard VIA and INTEL boards. Same stuff. It's no more non-standard than picking out your own parts at Fry's or CompUSA..
    Lordsmurf, stop pretending you know everything. Please actually do some reading before spitting spitting out "baloney" as you like to call it.

Here is a review of a Gaming PC made by Dell about nine months ago.
    The motherboard is proprietary and the case is proprietary.

Here is another article regarding Dell PCs. Not talking about 486 days...

Bunch of people complaining about HP 350N motherboard.

While there might be some out there with standard components, its a hit or miss game. So next time do some research before spitting out nonsense.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It probably comes down to whether you want to tweak or customise the PC at all.

If you do, I think you are better off going non-brand because it gives you more options.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    By bargain basement you mean? Figure of speech? You make it sound like a place...
    Sorry, figure of speech. Fairly common term where I live. Larger stores around here would put there clearance items in the basement hence the term bargain basement. It's an older area where stores actually have basements. Those comps are basically clearance items, sorry for the confusion.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jimmalenko

If you do, I think you are better off going non-brand because it gives you more options.
    All I would do is add a DVD RW... Then down the road add more Ram... That should be okay... right?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko

All I would do is add a DVD RW... Then down the road add more Ram... That should be okay... right?
    My only concern is that the Vendor might claim that you have voided your warranty if you do these mods yourself (you get someone other than the Vendor to make the changes). If you get the vendor to do the changes, then you are faced with often overinflated prices, labour costs and possibly postage and shipping costs.

I think this is important because the only benefits I see in buying a brand name is peace of mind (should use quality parts) and a (generally) comprehensive warranty. If you are going to rule one of these points of difference out, I don't see the point of spending the extra cash it costs you to buy the brand name because I don't think there are any poerformance gains to be had.

Just me though...
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I think this is important because the only benefits I see in buying a brand name is peace of mind (should use quality parts) and a (generally) comprehensive warranty. If you are going to rule one of these points of difference out, I don't see the point of spending the extra cash it costs you to buy the brand name because I don't think there are any poerformance gains to be had.

Just me though...
    www.abspc.com ......the best of both worlds
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by thecoalman

Just me though...
    from http://www.abspc.com/support/Warranty.asp:
    ABS desktop computer products are covered with a one-year parts and one-year labor warranty unless otherwise specified on special items. This coverage is effective the day the system is shipped from our warehouse. Any modification (excluding upgrading/downgrading components) of the hardware configuration without prior written approval from ABS will invalidate this warranty.
    Upgrading components seems to be the argument you could use if questioned. "I upgraded my RAM, Processor, DVD Burner... etc etc". It would seem that upgrading existing components is still within warranty terms although adding any new components will void it.

Interesting...
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by thecoalman

Just me though...
    Thier prices are not as cheap as ebay... I can get a Dell 4600 with 2 Year warrenty, 80 GB HD, 256 MBram, 2.8 Ghz for around $400....
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    For video production/editing, I would look at the fastest possible processor you can afford, at least 512MB RAM (preferably 1024MB) and possibly a bigger HD (DV is 13GB/hour).
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. If you have it built for you, ask to to see the receipt for each component purchased. Some good builders will not order the components until you buy, which helps show that you got all new parts.

If you live in a decent size city, there should be some users group who can tell you which local builders have survived the shake-out and will hopefully stay in business a while.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM

Thier prices are not as cheap as ebay... I can get a Dell 4600 with 2 Year warrenty, 80 GB HD, 256 MBram, 2.8 Ghz for around $400....
    Like I suggested before if your looking for a low end machine Dell or Gateway is the way to go. Try comparing the high end models.

As for the upgrade disclaimer on the warranty that's probably a standard thing. Maybe to avoid liability for overclockers. I had no trouble getting warranty work, matter of fact they sent me the components to fix it myself instead of having to send the entire machine to them. Besides how are they supposed to know whether you added anything or not?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    For video production/editing, I would look at the fastest possible processor you can afford, at least 512MB RAM (preferably 1024MB) and possibly a bigger HD (DV is 13GB/hour).
    Thats what I want, but am having trouble locating any around my price range... I really dont want to spend over 1000... I want the complete package aswell... (computer, Monitor, Epson R200 printer)... Anyone know if that is feesable?

Anyone here build computers well? Want to help me out? I think of myself and very computer knowledgeable, but building one is way above me...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by thecoalman
    Besides how are they supposed to know whether you added anything or not?
    You would have to send the receipt to validate your qualification for warranty, or they would keep a copy of the transaction on file for same. The receipt shows what parts you purchased so it wouldn't be too hard to work it out.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thats what I want, but am having trouble locating any around my price range... I really dont want to spend over 1000... I want the complete package aswell... (computer, Monitor, Epson R200 printer)... Anyone know if that is feesable?

Anyone here build computers well? Want to help me out? I think of myself and very computer knowledgeable, but building one is way above me...
    I would happily build one for you, but I think my location in Australia might prove a problem.

I don't know how aligned the prices are between where you are and australia, but have a go at building a PC here. Post the price in $AUD back here, then convert to your local currency. I would be interested to see if the prices are comparable.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You would have to send the receipt to validate your qualification for warranty, or they would keep a copy of the transaction on file for same. The receipt shows what parts you purchased so it wouldn't be too hard to work it out.
    Yes if you had to send it to them and removing the components you replaced wasnt an option. But they sent me the parts. I had a bad USB reader/writer, sent it to me no questions asked. I didn't even have to return the original. I'm just trying to say they are a pretty fair company.

$1000 dollar system, you have to look carefully at what your getting. this one has a 2.8 p4 800mhz fsb, 512mb 400mhz pc-3200ram, 120GB SATA drive, 8xdvd burner, dvd/cd player, decent video card, 2 onboard firewire ports and ethernet and thats just the major stuff. Find that in a dell for that price. http://www.abspc.com/app/config.asp?mono=1601

Edit: BTW when uying a monitor buy it locally uinless you get the shipping for free. Don't buy a system because it comes with a printer, generally there's a reason they are giving them away. Usually there money pits as far as the ink goes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lordsmurf wrote:
    This is a bunch of baloney.

DELL systems (as well as Compaq, HP, Sony, etc etc) all have the same ATX standard cases/PSUs. Motherboards, again, many are using standard VIA and INTEL boards. Same stuff.
    Hmmm and how do you know that DELL uses INDUSTRY STANDARD COMPONENTS. I would trust reading a article about DELL from a trusted computer website than take your word on this. I'm not trying to diss you in anyway. I posted that article on DELL not using INDUSTRY STANDARD COMPONENTS mainly on the motherboards and power supplies because it was posted at a computer forum where there were some who had their pc's fried because of the power supplies. DELL can get away with selling cheap pc's because they use cheap components. Most of their mid priced pc's all have intergrated video and may not even have a AGP SLOT if one wanted to add one. I still wouldn't purchase a DELL pc if someone paid me to.

To Bearbegr: purchase what you can afford, if you don't want to spend over a $1000.00 then build one yourself or purchase the components and get a local computer shop to build it for you. It's not that hard to build a pc. I just built a pc for under $800.00 which consisted of:

Pent 2 2.26 mhz chip (533 side bus)
    Asus Motherboard P4P800S (400/533/800 side bus)
    Kingston Memory pc3200 512 mb
    Pioneer 107d dvd burner
    Liteon 5232 Cdrw/Dvd-rom
    Maxtor 120 gb hard drive
    Visiontek 9200 video card 128 mb
    Antec SLK2650-BQE case with 350 watt power supply
    Rounded Ide cables
    Samsung floppy drive
    2 80mm antec case fans

As you can see this isn't fast video editing pc but it's decent enough for surfing the net, backing up dvds and doing basic pc stuff. It can be upgraded to a faster pent 4 chip if need be.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by thecoalman
    Yes if you had to send it to them and removing the components you replaced wasnt an option. But they sent me the parts. I had a bad USB reader/writer, sent it to me no questions asked. I didn't even have to return the original. I'm just trying to say they are a pretty fair company.

$1000 dollar system, you have to look carefully at what your getting. this one has a 2.8 p4 800mhz fsb, 512mb 400mhz pc-3200ram, 120GB SATA drive, 8xdvd burner, dvd/cd player, decent video card, 2 onboard firewire ports and ethernet and thats just the major stuff. Find that in a dell for that price. http://www.abspc.com/app/config.asp?mono=1601

Edit: BTW when uying a monitor buy it locally uinless you get the shipping for free. Don't buy a system because it comes with a printer, generally there's a reason they are giving them away. Usually there money pits as far as the ink goes.
    Thats just the PC right? (Dell is out for now... lol) Dell is defenetly more for somthing like that... When I said 1000... I meant for the Desktop computer, Epson R200 Printer, and a monitor... Thats really all I have... I have a laptop that I use for everything, but it is just not good enough for DVD editing and such... I do like that computer you showed me though...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    Pent 2 2.26 mhz chip (533 side bus)
    Asus Motherboard P4P800S (400/533/800 side bus)
    Kingston Memory pc3200 512 mb
    Pioneer 107d dvd burner
    Liteon 5232 Cdrw/Dvd-rom
    Maxtor 120 gb hard drive
    Visiontek 9200 video card 128 mb
    Antec SLK2650-BQE case with 350 watt power supply
    Rounded Ide cables
    Samsung floppy drive
    2 80mm antec case fans
    Nearly the same as the one I posted above with 2.8 p4 and a warranty. Don't get me wrong, the PC I purchased from them will be the last one I purchase pre assembled but there prices are hard to beat.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by jimmalenko

I would happily build one for you, but I think my location in Australia might prove a problem.

I don't know how aligned the prices are between where you are and australia, but have a go at building a PC here. Post the price in $AUD back here, then convert to your local currency. I would be interested to see if the prices are comparable.
    I emailed you... and Pmed you (i dont know which you read) I went to the site and built one, but honestly I did not know what to pick, and I think I picked all the wrong stuff cause the price was high...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thats just the PC right? (Dell is out for now... lol) Dell is defenetly more for somthing like that... When I said 1000... I meant for the Desktop computer, Epson R200 Printer, and a monitor... Thats really all I have... I have a laptop that I use for everything, but it is just not good enough for DVD editing and such... I do like that computer you showed me though...
    That's it, just a keyboard and mouse. Monitors are cheap, you can get a 19 in. CRT from Best Buy starting around $150. That was why I said purchase it locally the shipping will cost you $60 or $70. Set of $20 speakers and you ready to roll.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @dosun,
    You don't know shit. Your articles are old. The people in them, didn't know shit either. That ATX issue is merely a pin connector adapter in need. $5 at any computer parts store. Overclockers dinking with BIOS chips (stupid). A Dell motherboard (again, bitching about overclocking, most people don't care) .. branded DELL too, duh.

@BUDZ,
    "standard components" means things like ATX, normal Intel/AMD socket motherboards, standard RAM interfaces (SDRAM, DDR, etc), PCI, AGP, etc etc. Almost all computers have "standard parts" these days. Now ... if you want to talk about "OEM" vs "retail" ... you're on to something. That's really what you're talking about. But that's still an opinion issue too. Is OEM really worse than retail? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

@jimmalenko
    Seriously, that's not an issue anymore. Compaq, Sony, HP, Dell, they are all fine with opening the system. They won't hang up on you or charge you money if you open the system and add stuff. It may limit the help, but not much more. But for most of us, is the warranty worth it? I'd say no. I remember speaking to techs that knew less that I did. At some point, you're your own best tech. I mainly got my warranty because the Pioneer 103 was still new tech, and I didn't want to shell out $500-1000 if it broke.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I just did a quote:

Add $199.00 for a printer and you're looking at AUD$1406.20, which = USD$1,017.80
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    @jimmalenko
    Seriously, that's not an issue anymore. Compaq, Sony, HP, Dell, they are all fine with opening the system. They won't hang up on you or charge you money if you open the system and add stuff.
    Dell did it to us, so I speak from experience. We removed the tower case cover, which broke the sticker they put on the back of the case. They refused to honour the warranty because of this, even though we didn't modify anything.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by thecoalman
    That's it, just a keyboard and mouse. Monitors are cheap, you can get a 19 in. CRT from Best Buy starting around $150. That was why I said purchase it locally the shipping will cost you $60 or $70. Set of $20 speakers and you ready to roll.
    That my problem... I just can not swing that price... Know any other good computers for good prices?

*** On a side note*** Thanks people for answering my endless amounts of questions! I want to buy a computer, and I do not want to do it wrong! I seem to always do it wrong... 2 years ago we bought an Emachines computer, and OMG it was the worst PC ever! Replaced the dvd rom once, cdrw twice, and the enitire machine had sooo many problems... Please keep helping any way you can... Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @jimmalenko
    Seriously, that's not an issue anymore. Compaq, Sony, HP, Dell, they are all fine with opening the system. They won't hang up on you or charge you money if you open the system and add stuff.
    Dell did it to us, so I speak from experience. We removed the tower case cover, which broke the sticker they put on the back of the case. They refused to honour the warranty because of this, even though we didn't modify anything.
    How recent was this? In the past couple of years, this kind of thing has fallen to the wayside.

Yeah, eMACHINES were pretty crappy. They used CYRIX and other sub-par CPUs in them, at least most of them. Gateway equally sucked in this department. Lot of bad Celerons in there too.

A good PC, home built, you can piece together for under $500.
    If you want the newest of the new, in terms of parts, sometimes it's hard to beat the price of a pre-assembled PC. I remember it was a big discount to buy the COMPAQ I have here, as opposed to building it myself with the same parts. I pciked the specs I wanted, and it was shipped to my house.

WORD TO THE WISE! Don't buy a pre-made PC unless it's the newest of the new. A lot of those older discount jobs are what give companies a bad name. I've seen a lot of bad "budget" systems come pre-made. I've wiped more than a few of them, and have had to upgrade them right away to even make them useable (like many others, I've long done PC work on the side).

For video, I suggest a P4 and INTEL motherboard.. then go on from there, minimum 2 hard drives, a decent DVD burner (Pioneer and LiteOn are nice), 256-512 RAM.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    I just did a quote:

Add $199.00 for a printer and you're looking at AUD$1406.20, which = USD$1,017.80
    Thats AUD? I thought it was US... Thats right around what I want to spend... So how do I build that? Can I find the parts cheaper than offered at that site? Is that a good computer? Anyone?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @jimmalenko
    How recent was this? In the past couple of years, this kind of thing has fallen to the wayside.
    Would have been about 8 months ago now. Needless to say, it was the last brand name PC we bought. (We as in the company I work for).
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Post the price in $AUD back here, then convert to your local currency. I would be interested to see if the prices are comparable.
    I compared them.. came out to 1400 AUD which is a little more than $1000 USD there about the same but there wasn't the exact same components. DVD player was different, i had to select generic ram beacuse the geil wasn't listed, i dunno maybe Geil is Generic Ram etc.
    Quote Quote