VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/business/9442968.htm?1c

Local radio stated that the state has recieved over 300 complaints against Best Buy.

Ohio sues Best Buy for unfair, deceptive sales practices

Associated Press

NEW YORK - The state of Ohio sued Best Buy Co. Inc. Thursday, alleging unfair and deceptive business practices at the electronics retailer.

The Minneapolis-based company was accused of repackaging used goods and selling them as new products, failing to honor rebates, refund, exchange programs and extended service contracts. The Ohio Attorney General's Office had received hundreds of consumer complaints over the last few years.

"The sheer number of complaints coupled with the types of allegations my office received prompted us to file this lawsuit," Petro said in a news release. "The primary objective of this lawsuit is to bring Best Buy into conformity with Ohio's consumer protection laws and ensure that Best Buy's Ohio customers receive the service they deserve."

The lawsuit also alleged the failure to honor implied warranties of merchantability, substandard or inadequate customer service, and making false and misleading statements to consumers.

In his complaint, Petro asked the court to prohibit Best Buy from engaging in practices that violate the Consumer Sales Practices Act. He also asked the court to order Best Buy to reimburse customers who lost money or otherwise did not receive the full service they were promised. The complaint also asked Best Buy pay a civil penalty of $25,000 for each violation of the act.

In response, Best Buy issued written statement. "We are aware of the lawsuit filed by the Ohio State Attorney General's Office. We are investigating the claims, but cannot comment further on pending litigation."

2. I'm not the least bit suprised. On the contrary, it's about time...

3. According to a previous thread, an executive at BB talked about the evil customers who actually try to only buy from them when there is a sale, and take advantage of poor old BB. Well it looks like the customers are not the only bad people out there.

I recently was in a BB where they had a printer on sale as an open box item, it was cheaper than a brand new one by $20. However, the new one had a $20 rebate. I thought why wouldn't you just by a new one and get the rebate ( I personally have not had any problem, knock on wood, with any rebates from BB ). I looked at the box a little closer and saw that the UPC code was removed with box cutter like lines around where it used to be. I've heard that some people buy stuff from them, do what they have to for the rebate, and then return the item for a refund. This was the 1st time I'd seen any evidence of it.

If acceptable. I'd like to mention that there is a site called www.bestbuysux.org that has lots of info and some comical stories from dissatisfied customers and disgruntled employees of this chain.

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I live in south Florida, and avoid BB, too. I bought a scanner once and had to return to get the power supply for it from another box. They didn't seem to be careful about keeping merchandise sealed. Then I had to get a friend with dsl to download 35 MB of replacement drivers(since I only had a dialup account), because what came with the Umax only went as far as Win98. The price was great, $20 after rebate, but I don't want the aggravation. CompUsa and Circuit City are right across the street from the BB nearest home, so I'm not held hostage when it comes to specials.

5. I tend to avoid Best Buy too, but the only reason I keep going back is because they don't have a restocking fee. I have had soooo many problems with Best Buy, I have lost almost 500 dollars. But, I have also files 2 reports with the Better Business Bureau and lets see what happens.

Search Comp PM
    Best Buy used to be really good. Now it doesn't matter what city or state I'm in they just have a hundred different ways to screw you. I swear they actually have a policy of lying to you about the manufacturers warranty.

Find any product that offers a 3 year manufacturer's warranty on the box. Ask them how long the manufacturer's warranty is and I guarantee you they will say 1 year, and that you need their service plan because "these are known to break after about 1 year." Even if you ask them to look it up on the computer with you looking over their shoulder, they still claim the warranty is only for 1 year. This has happened to me on 3 separate occasions in three different stores. I will NEVER buy anything from a BB again.

Oh, and then there was that incident when I got LOTR in freaking fullscreen for my birthday because the BB employee talked my wife out of buying the widescreen version because "It's only for people with widescreen tv's."

7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Actually you shouldn't be complaining. You got FULL (meaning: complete, entire screen (product)) as opposed to just widened (stretched, which is never good). That was a good effort on part of BB employee worth commendation. Just imagine your wife getting something less the "full" for your birthday. Good instinct.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by proxyx99
    Actually you shouldn't be complaining. You got FULL (meaning: complete, entire screen (product)) as opposed to just widened (stretched, which is never good). That was a good effort on part of BB employee worth commendation. Just imagine your wife getting something less the "full" for your birthday. Good instinct.
    Are you being serious? Full screen has up to 50% of the picture cropped off the sides (hardly complete) and widescreen simply keeps the picture as it was filmed (its not stretched at all.)

9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Never been more serious Regards to your wife for a job well done.

PS. you can always go to BB and claim the other 50% (on a separate disc) or request 50% reduction of the price.

Search Comp PM
    I exchanged it for the widescreen version the next day. Here's why.
    http://www.widescreen.org/examples/lord_rings_fellowship/index.shtml

P.S. I hear Best Buy is hiring.

11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Now you watch on 50% of your screen. Either way it's just 50%. Never meant to be a Full Monty...

Search Comp PM
    Alright, no need to hijack this thread. To each their own.

Best Buy still sucks.

13. back a few years ago when i bought my latest pc (using it to type this now). the + format for dvd just came out. And at that time only burners were availbe and media still was not released yet. At anyrate i wasnt sure about using a minus in a plus, etc. I custom built the pc with them and was itent on using it for these dvd purposes. the ******* guy was like oh yeah sure it can burn on this. upon ordering this 2000$ plus system and then finding out the info was wrong, i forced them to take the pc back was not charged any restocking fee and made them get me the same pc with the correct minus burner i wanted.

But what a hassle it was, they were giving me problems and i was just
    like look "your store employee gave me the wrong information, which in turn caused me to buy the wrong system, so fix the problem now"

I swear i was 1 step away from punching the guy in the face. iwas just so aggrevated

However i scored one for the good guys. They had these rebate flyers on a small triangle metal shaped stand that was waist level and sticking out from a shelf. I caught my already ripped up camoflauge shorts on them and torn them even more (thank god for the stupid hardcore patches i had and used the pins to fix the hole). I made them give me a 30% discount. I said what if it went and and cut my leg open. So they were quick to comply.

it's 4 am im rambling--goodnight

Search Comp PM
    I'm afraid my opinion of Best Buy is quite a bit different than most (at least you guys). I've bought a lot of stuff there, returned stuff, and received literally dozens of rebates. Never a problem.

I will admit they don't always have the brightest,most knowledgable sales people but I've run across a bunch of dumb-ass "used car salesman" types at Circuit City and CompUSA too. At least I know the non-commissioned Best Buy folks are just stupid. I tend to do my own research anyway so low-price, returnability, and rebates are what I care about.

I certainly don't have any problems with a company that's trying to get rid of unprofitable "customers". Most of the company's comments in the Wall Street article centered around "customers" that tie up a salesperson for hours doing "research", then buy on the Internet.

Just my opinion and experiences with Best Buy, that's all I can go on.

15. I have never had a single problem with BestBuy here in Nevada. IMO they are a first class act.

16. I'm sure there are plenty of well-run Best Buy's, but overall, they are under tremendous pressure from the corporate level to push warranties and service plans, and these stores are slowly being weeded out. Since these plans are their main source of profit, they tend to regard any repairs as a loss, which is why so many people report problems in this area.

Re: verchad

I looked at the box a little closer and saw that the UPC code was removed with box cutter like lines around where it used to be. I've heard that some people buy stuff from them, do what they have to for the rebate, and then return the item for a refund. This was the 1st time I'd seen any evidence of it.
    Usually they deduct the price of the rebated from the refund, which is probably why the item was $20 less when you looked at it. Being open box, they should have taken more off the price.

My initial experiences at BB were quite positive, but over time, they deteriorated to the point where I decided never to return after one particularly bad experience.

They are opening a new one close to where I live, and I'm not at all looking forward to it. It's on an access road to a major shopping mall. It's only 2 lanes, and gets very backed up on holidays. I hate to think of what it will be like this next Xmas. Whoever approved that site made a major bonehead play....

17. I believe outpost.com does the same thing. From a recent order I got from them. Only thing is, if you have to return it, you pay shipping both ways. So I bought a ps2 HD (someone wrote '2' on the box, maybe thats the number of times it's been returned??) but it wouldn't boot. So, I sent it back but they made me pay shipping both ways. That deal cost me $20.....

18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't make a large purchase at best buy again. A few years back I bought a pc from them and the sound card was bad or the mb had a bad slot. I took the pc back the very next day and was told I could not return it because the sound card was bad. They told me I could only return the pc if it did not have any problems. It took nearly 2 hours to get them to take a broken item back. Its good to know that I can return working items but not broken ones.
    As far as customers wasting employees times I find that hard to believe. Every time I'm in one of San Antonio's 3 best buys the employees or either standing around talking to each other or lying to some poor customer who does not know any better. Best buy is good for media and that's about it imo.

19. they really SUCK......

6 months, 5 calls, to get the ****.....rebate......i always go to CC, more friendly.

Search PM
    I've never had a problem with any Best Buy in the Pittsburgh area either. The only problem with Best Buy is the employees being told by management to push those stupid extended warranties. I just stop them before they start talking and go purchase my item.

Search Comp PM
    Every time I'm in one of San Antonio's 3 best buys the employees or either standing around talking to each other or lying to some poor customer who does not know any better.
    kirpen, maybe it's a store / regional thing. I just left a Best Buy that's a few miles from my house here in Kansas. Just looking around but no less than 6 employees in 20 minutes asked me if they could help. Actually started to irritate me. I did overhear a couple of employee / customer conversations and have to admit the salespeople were "slightly off" about what they were telling the customer. Probably not intentional but I guess that doesn't help the poor customer.

Of course, why is the customer in a Best Buy (or Walmart, Target). Is he really expecting the top-notch small store owner-type of professional expertise. He's probably expecting it but he's obviously not willing to pay more than $12 an hour to get it. Actually he is expecting it but he won't get it from the $12 an hour 19 year old. He won't get it at Walmart, Target, and all the other places he shops for the lowest price. They do low price, they don't do experienced, professional help.

I don't feel too sorry for a lot of the "give me the lowest price" customers that have done absolutely no product research, joined forums like this, etc. One way or another, you get what you pay for.

The small specialized Audio, Video, PC Stores are mostly going away. Five here in my area have closed this Summer. Each said that they just couldn't compete with BIG BOX prices. The fact that they had great products, excellent service, trained professionals, take it home and try it for a week (without buying it first), and liberal return polices. All that, and can't make a lving because of low prices. IMHO, the customers are as much to blame in making the Best Buys what they are. And I don't expect it to get any better.

My rant for the day.

Search Comp PM
    Never had a problem with Best Buy, as long as I can return stuff, No restocking fees!

23. It is a shame to see how far Best Buy has fallen. I still fondly remember them when they were called "Sound of Music" and were a little hole in the wall shop on the campus at the U of M. I still remember the first Japanese receiver they were trying to sell, Nikko, and how much resistence there was to anything "made in Japan". Oh well, those were the good old days?
    Still a few bugs in the system...

Search Comp PM
    It's funny that when it comes to a great deal of electronics, 'Made in the USA' negelcts to mention the 'with all foreign manufactured parts' section.
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.

Search Comp PM
    I really could use a Best Buy right about now. I'm in a small town in the middle of the country with nothing but a Staples and a Wal-Mart; and the PS on my server is dying. Although, I just remembered Radio Shack. Maybe they will have some overpriced PS I can blow my money on. Mail order is great when you don't need it ASAP, but there's something to be said for having lots of retail stores in the area. I miss Chicago sometimes.

26. With all the retail stores in this area, I still do most of my shopping via the 'Net...

Search Comp PM
    I like shopping online, but I can't tell you how much I'd saved over the years buying Open-Box hardware from Micro Center. Plus, it would have been nice to just pick up a new PS as opposed to ordering one.

Search Comp PM
    I have had only good experiences with Best Buy including several no-questions-asked returns and friendly service. It is the cheapest (and therefore) the best electronics store in New York. J@R comes in second. All others stores like Circuit City and Compusa are shit unless they have a sale.

Search Comp PM
    Speaking of CompUSA and sales...
    They've 'had' a Generic (Maxtor) 250GB ATA133 drive on sale with an Internet Only price of $129.99. I got my weekly email update from them about this price 1st thing Sunday morning when the ad broke. If you choose In-Store pickup, the price jumps to $180. I've checked their site every day since Sunday and the only option I've seen offered is In-Store Pickup. Basically they haven't been having any in stock to sell, or so they'd lead me to believe. Sounds like the old "bait-and-switch" to me.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=302225&pfp=BROWSE

30. Ive had too many problems with BB, ill never go there again either. Too many to mention here actually, lol.

Good deal spotting the 250gb hdd for 130 bucks..Except its a generic one, meaning No Brand name at all. If im going to put 250gb of valuable hard-worked on data on the drive, i at least would like to know what brand name is behind it. Normally if it was something stupid like a cd burner or a usb2 port, i wouldnt give a shit about brand.