VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see other drives like the nec-ND2500A can upgrade with firmware to dual layered. Is there any sort of firmware lite-on is gonna make so I can do the same? what about some1 not from lite-on making an unofficial firmware upgrade?

I really dont want to rebuy a DVD burner when the technology exsits so I dont have too.. Its also not fair that some brands provide an upgrade and mine doesent. I would of bought a nec if I knew I could upgrade through firmware.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Well, you don't even say what model of Lite-On you own so who knows?

If it can, it will be at 2.4x. Get ready for lightning fast 45minute burns at $10 a pop! Woo-hoo!

You'll probably want to upgrade your burner if/when you get into DL. Don't bash Lite-On for possibly not including a feature that it may even have.

-Evan-
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Without fully knowing or going into the technical side of it, I think the burner would need to be physically capable of burning DL in order for a firmware upgrade to "magically" transform it from single layer to a DL burner.

In short, AFAIK not all single layer burners can physically do DL, so a firmware upgrade isn't going to change that.

If it can't physically do it to begin with, then it ain't gonna matter what firmware it's got - it still won't do DL.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by 007craft
    I really dont want to rebuy a DVD burner when the technology exsits so I dont have too.. Its also not fair that some brands provide an upgrade and mine doesent. I would of bought a nec if I knew I could upgrade through firmware.
    Fair ?

You chose it. You bought it. Your problem.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AFAIK, the only Lite-on burners that can be upgraded to DL are the 812S, the 451S and the 851S.
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    but i have a 451S.. so how do i do it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    go to this site the LITEON FORUM: http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&forumid=44

you can also go to this site to download the necessary programs for the liteon burners: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/

don't be lazy and ask how to do the firmware upgrade. Read the links I gave you. Then ask questions at cdfreaks.com LITEON forum if you have problems in upgrading the firmware to make your 451 dual layer.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a LiteOn 851 patched to a LiteOn 832. Try the Code Guys' website:

http://codeguys.rpc1.org/

They have done a remarkable job of creating patched firmware that allows LiteOn 451, 851 and 812 drives to behave like a LiteOn 832, which will burn DVD+R9 (Double Layer) disks.

Be advised that using patched firmware is not for the faint of heart. You could damage your DVD burner and also void your warranty. Besides, with DL media still costing > $10 US, is it worth it? BTW, the newly announced LiteOn 1633 will burn DVD+R at 16x and also burn DL disks at 2.4x.

The Code Guys have also developed a piece of freeware call OmniPatcher that allows you to customize your LiteOn firmware with a wide variety of tweaks, including burning lower rated media (for example 4x) at higher speeds.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a LiteOn 851 patched to a LiteOn 832. Try the Code Guys' website:

http://codeguys.rpc1.org/

They have done a remarkable job of creating patched firmware that allows LiteOn 451, 851 and 812 drives to behave like a LiteOn 832, which will burn DVD+R9 (Double Layer) disks.
    LOL! Did I not give the codeguys link on my previous post???? YUH! !!! DUH!!!

__________________________________________________ ___________

Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by QuaiBoy
    If it can, it will be at 2.4x. Get ready for lightning fast 45minute burns at $10 a pop! Woo-hoo!

-Evan-
    Hey, I spend 60 minutes burning single layer media on my 1x. After 3 years, I finally decided to upgrade my 1x burner. Unfortunately, I bought the new drive at Staples. The piece of crap lasted aprx 4 months.

I don't do much burning on my PC, so I don't mind. But there are worse things than spending 45 minutes to burn an 8GB DVD.

As far as firmware "upgrades" go I'm a little paranoid. DVD burning is unstable enough without using a drive that wasn't originally intended for dual layer. But that's just me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    LOL! Did I not give the codeguys link on my previous post???? YUH! !!! DUH!!!
    Look at the times on the posts, By the time I posted mine, you had just posted yours, but it wasn't yet visible to me. I must type too slow
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ViRaL1
    AFAIK, the only Lite-on burners that can be upgraded to DL are the 812S, the 451S and the 851S.
    I have the 812SX - which is the External version of the 812S (usb connection) - can this be upgraded to DL also, or just the internal version? or does it make a difference?

I got a pretty good deal on this at CC - about $110 + tax after rebates. My LG drive died and I picked up this one to use temporarily until the replacement came, and was planning on ebaying it later if I no longer needed it. The LG replacement came quicker than I thought, so I can still return it to CC - but if it can be upgraded to Dual Layer, I may just keep it.

Roy
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After looking at the CDfreaks thread, you will see that firmware upgrades are easy and safe using the Omnipatcher. I have done it numerous times with no problem. Most of the time (always for me) upgrades make the burning more stable. I have the 451@832 and my burns at 8x are better than ever. I haven''t tried DL yet because of the cost, but even at 2.4x it would save time because there will not be a need for transcoding.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just be forwarned when you flash and if it goes wrong this quote from Liteon should be taken.

"Customers, please be aware, that LiteON IT will no longer provide services to the products that have been " Illegally Firmware Upgraded ", such as flashing to other models' firmware.

Good Luck
    Quote Quote