VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I just spoke with one of the people at Rima.com about the Prodisc media changes and he said he is as much in the dark as we are. He said that the 1632 part number was still S03 but that the 1631 was now MCC. He also said that he was low on the 1632 and he was not really sure what was coming from them next. He also had no information as to what was happening, whether this was a change or just a substitution due to shortages or what. I emailed Prodisc last week and still no answer. Supposedly MCC is good media but there is another report here of a poster who got Prodisc MCC and had problems. I ordered one of each so I will get MCC for sure and I will let you know at the end of the week what it burns like. According to CDFreaks media tests MCC DVD-R looks rather picky and I could only see exceptional burns on NEC 2500 and Liteon 812S.
    Still a few bugs in the system...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What doesn't someone burn a disk then run CD/DVD speed and Kprobe on it. If its really not a knock off then the quality will show.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I will run a test on these sometime during the day and keep everyone posted.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have received an answer back from Supermediastore and they are changing the media codes on the web site and have also asked Prodisc for some clarification.

Flaystus: I have seen quite a few scans over at CDFreaks and they are very irregular. Some are OK and some show problems. It seems to depend on the drive and firmware (no surprise there). Also there seem to be two different MCC media codes and people have reported receiving both. Just assuming that this is an improvement doesn't seem to be a safe assumption although lordsmurf has said that MCC and Prodisc worked together on the S03 and one would assume that they know what they are doing. So far I rarely see a disc that writes well in all drives. TY seems to be the exception. At least we now know what we will be getting when we order Prodisc. As to any improvements I will wait to see how they burn for me. If they are in fact better I will line up to buy before they change again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chas0039
    I have received an answer back from Supermediastore and they are changing the media codes on the web site and have also asked Prodisc for some clarification.

Flaystus: I have seen quite a few scans over at CDFreaks and they are very irregular. Some are OK and some show problems. It seems to depend on the drive and firmware (no surprise there). Also there seem to be two different MCC media codes and people have reported receiving both. Just assuming that this is an improvement doesn't seem to be a safe assumption although lordsmurf has said that MCC and Prodisc worked together on the S03 and one would assume that they know what they are doing. So far I rarely see a disc that writes well in all drives. TY seems to be the exception. At least we now know what we will be getting when we order Prodisc. As to any improvements I will wait to see how they burn for me. If they are in fact better I will line up to buy before they change again.
    Actually I know someone who had a Verbatium burner that didn't even see TYs as burnable disc.

But as far as the codes, I didn't say assume the best. I said test it some, if it turns out good then likely your fine.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just recieved my order of these disk and had excellent to bad results.

Out of ten burns 8 play perfectly and two freeze numerous times during playback. One at the very begining and the second one after about 1/2 into the movie. Use a NEC 2510a internal and a Sony DRU 530ul external firewire.

Used Nero 6.3 and had both great burns and the two bad ones. About the 7th burn I switched DVD Shrink to create and ISO and bunr with DVD Decrypter and no more problems. I never had problems with NERO at all using the older Pro Disks or Ritek Ritdata G04s. 100% good burns with those disks.
    No DVD can withstand the power of DVDShrink along with AnyDVD!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hrm... that doesn't soundlike the MCC that I know... this is bad news.
    Quote Quote  
  8. i'm not liking the sound of this. well i placed an order last week for prodisc white inkjet printables. they should be here this week. sound's like i'll be getting MCC.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Flaystus
    But as far as the codes, I didn't say assume the best. I said test it some, if it turns out good then likely your fine.
    Sorry, I was not referring to you in my comments. I was just thinking outloud.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jtoolman2000
    I just recieved my order of these disk and had excellent to bad results.
    Could you supply your media code please?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Well, here is the scan of the discs that I got. I stopped it at 16% since there were too many errors. I think I am going to be returning these discs pretty soon.

PS: 8 out of 10 discs look like this

Quote Quote  
  12. Might I ask which firmware you have for your Liteon and if you are going to do any Kprobe scan? Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Actually, my LiteOn drive is brand new, so I have no idea what the firmware is. I'll definitely do the other test after a while.

But, the discs to seem bad, don't they?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aanaravs
    But, the discs to seem bad, don't they?
    No.

All we know now is you cannot read them perfectly in that drive at that time. This can mean many things.

More testing needed.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  15. I just received 200 from RIMA with the new code-MCC 01RG20 For 80 bucks with shipping..I was just about ready to call them to complain when I realized they werent Prodisk. But it looks like according to this post, they are the new media..JUST GREAT...My last order with Supermedia they were the s03--I wish i bought more of those then. 100 out of a 100 work perfect..... I have 200 of these new ones..it figures...

Bogusid
    Quote Quote  
  16. Here is another test that I did from DVDInfo:
    Quote Quote  
  17. Guys what program do I need to use to test these discs. I was one of the first people that started a post about this since I had the new code. I have a SONY DRU-510 burner so I can test these out for you. So far though they play fine in my stand-alone pioneer DVD player. So let me know of the problem and Ill be happy to test them.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Here is the result from Kprobe2 on the LiteOn burner. This test was done with a different disc, im the same batch.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, you guys have 02R media...check these out. I got these today from supermediastore.

_NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A 1.07
    Current Profile: DVD-R

Disc Information:
    Erasable: No
    Free Sectors: 2,298,496
    Free Space: 4,707,319,808 bytes
    Free Time: 510:48:46 (MM:SS:FF)
    Supported Write Speeds: 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x

Pre-recorded Information:
    Manufacturer ID: MCC 01RG20
    Quote Quote  
  20. I think the 01 stands for 4x.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey aanaravs, I just burned a DVD at 4x...name a couple apps to run tests on it with and i'll post the results? Using an NEC-2500a 1.07
    Quote Quote  
  22. Run the speed test from DVDInfo Pro and scan the disc surface using Nero CD/DVD speed. Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay...burned a full disc at 4x. Then confirmed data. Here is the read test from DVDInfo.

Seems to be pretty good stuff to me. Will re-run a test tomorrow...as of now, letting ink from an epson r200 dry on it.

Seth
    Quote Quote  
  24. Those of you that have both S03s and MCC Prodiscs, do the MCCs feel thicker (sturdier) than the S03s, physically?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MCC 01RG20 is the same media code that my 4x Verbatim dvd-r have. I have burned 75 of these w/ no problem. but it sounds like the new prodisc are MCC 02RG20?? I just got 100 prodisc from rima last friday and they are coded as S03. Why cant companies leave stuff alone.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by aanaravs
    Here is the result from Kprobe2 on the LiteOn burner. This test was done with a different disc, im the same batch.

Thanks for all your work. FYI you probably should run this test at 4X, that is the generally considered standard for comparison. It is hard to compare this scan as I am not sure what speed you burned at and you do not have the most current firmware. However, this is not much worse than the current scans I get for S03s. Looks like they might be a decent replacement.
    Quote Quote  
  27. This is another test that I did. Same image file, different disc from the same batch and burnt @ 4x. The previous one was burnt at 8x.
    Quote Quote  
  28. aanaravs:

Thanks again. That looks like a really good scan, assuming there is a fairly even graph. I should have mine by Friday; hopefully they will burn as well as yours. I'll have to see which burner thay prefer. This should be better than the S03s. Hopefully they don't raise prices. I especially like the low PIFs.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Thanks for the info. I guess I will be keeping these then
    Quote Quote