VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This question was asked of me and I had no info on this because I dont do much recording on rw's, so I thought I would post it for some feedback

Hey, I've been having some trouble with my DVD+RW's lately, and I was wondering if you had any ideas on why this is occurring.

I've been using about 20 different DVD+RW's to record movies until I can watch them and then usually record over them. However I've found that after just a few re-writes, they become useless. When I put them in the computer doesn't even recognize the disc to erase/format/record/play. In addition they tend to form visible little "spots" all over the burning element. They're not external spots as they don't wipe off. Plus, they tend to form in a similar pattern: a group of three larger spots with a lot of small ones scattered throughout the rest of the disc. It's really strange. It's happened mostly with a batch of Memorex discs, but also with a couple of other brands. I'm at a complete loss as to what's happening...any thoughts?

Thanks
    Jeff
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Obviously gremlims are tampering with the fabric of space near your DVD's again. I recomend bug spray with deet to keep them away sir.

Seth

Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most likely cheap dvdrw that goes bad faster,i` ve had a few go bad after a dozen erases with spots and bought a better brand with are still going strong after a lot of erases.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try doing a full erase with DVDInfoPro from time to time...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have had plenty go bad on me. All of them Sony branded. Manually doing a full erase does not seem to help either. They are all probably 10 years old. They fail in multiple drives too, so I don't think it's my DVR, since they work badly on my PC as well.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, DVD RW discs can go bad. I'd suggest using Verbatim brand +RW discs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. RW discs are the most likely to deteriorate over time. But good ones can be rewritten hundreds of times before failing -- you're more likely to stop using them because you've scratched them rather than because they've worn out. I have some 10+ year old Verbatim DVD+RW discs (written once) that still read fine. Other's that have been rewritten a few hundred times. I wouldn't buy anything but Verbatim +RW these days.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some of my failed RW discs are old and only used a few times. No scratches.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Do you really think the + or - matters?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Do you really think the + or - matters?
    In this particular case, yes. The +RW discs are superior. There is an old article on MyCE.com that compares the two and explains the advantages of the +RW format compared to -RW: http://www.myce.com/article/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW-203/
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Why are you guys replying to a 10 year old grave robbery by zzyzzx?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Why are you guys replying to a 10 year old grave robbery by zzyzzx?
    Why do you care? If the admins don't like it they can lock the thread or delete the posts.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If the admins don't like it they can lock the thread or delete the posts.
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...

Stop it! You're killing me! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just checked the discs, they are ~10-15 year old Sony DVD+RW that are going bad. Some of them were not used much, but some were used a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I suppose I'll have to check my collection of equally ancient DVD+RWs, since I have some "interesting" off-brands of questionable quality. Don't think I've used them since we got the networked WDTV player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I probably should be checking for a program that can check the disk integrity as well, since I mostly use these in a vintage 2007 Philips DVR (3575 type) which might also be the problem.
    Quote Quote