VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Well I Just got these DVD-Rs and when I popped them in DVDDecrypter I got the following Manufacturer Id: MCC 01RG20

Just want to make sure that this is the one everyone has been getting and that its good. Please let me know. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That is a surprise (unless I am behind or something). MCC is supposed to be very good. My regular matte are ProdiscS03. You may just have started a buying frenzy.
    Quote Quote  
  3. are you sure that its good? I mean I thought I was supposed to have the same one that you have, as those are the ones reviewed. I think CMC or something is a very bad company, but I never heard anything about th eones I got. Did I get screwed?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MCC (Mitsubishi Chemicals) = good
    CMC (CMC Magnetics) = shit
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zgrm100
    are you sure that its good? I mean I thought I was supposed to have the same one that you have, as those are the ones reviewed. I think CMC or something is a very bad company, but I never heard anything about th eones I got. Did I get screwed?
    No, you did not get screwed unless it is fake media or a trick or something. MCC is Mitsubishi Chemicals and though it is made in Taiwan, it is much better than the CMC Magnetics media it is made next to. According to digitalFAQ, MCC is 1st class media whereas ProdiscS03 is 2nd class media.
    Quote Quote  
  6. wow so I actually got a better deal? Thats awesome!

Just curious though. Does that mean the prodisc changed their manufacturer or something? I havent seen any1 get these discs with the same media code that I got.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just recieved news that forum member aanaravs also got the same MCC media code for this product. I am starting to wonder if I shouldn't buy those printable Prodiscs myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are these the ones you are talking about zgrm?

http://www.supermediastore.com/prodisc-4x-dvdr-silver-inkjet-printable.html

They are the only printable not explicitly stated as being ProdiscS03 by SuperMediaStore.

If they are, I will email SuperMediaStore, ask them if they can confirm that I will be getting MCC media, and jump on this deal like a hungry dog on a meatball.
    Quote Quote  
  9. nope this is the exact link. So you guys are saying i got an awesome deal? If yes then i think im going to buy another 100-pack while I can still get the new media code.

http://www.supermediastore.com/prodisc-4x-white-inkjet-printable-dvd-r-media.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zgrm100
    nope this is the exact link. So you guys are saying i got an awesome deal? If yes then i think im going to buy another 100-pack while I can still get the new media code.

http://www.supermediastore.com/prodisc-4x-white-inkjet-printable-dvd-r-media.html
    Hmmm. If I were you, I would try to confirm with SuperMediaStore that you are definitely getting another MCC spindle. Otherwise, they can end up sending you a ProdiscS03 spindle and you will be out of luck. Other stores have been known to practice "bait and switch" tactics with Taiyo Yuden media and while SuperMediaStore is pretty reputable and probably wouldn't do that on purpose, they may very well have two different kinds of media codes on their discs.

Our friend aanaravs has posted a thread about this on the SuperMediaStore forums so hopefully they will reply with some clear answers.

http://www.supermediaforum.com/showthread.php?t=180
    Quote Quote  
  11. great, thanks. Keep us posted.
    Quote Quote  
  12. The link given by zgrm refers to WHITE inkjet hub printables, and also states these dvd-rs are S03.

Product Code: DVD01X0117
    Manufacturer: Prodisc
    Media ID: ProdiscS03
    Don't know why they would sub with MCCs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by noki
    The link given by zgrm refers to WHITE inkjet hub printables, and also states these dvd-rs are S03.

Product Code: DVD01X0117
    Manufacturer: Prodisc
    Media ID: ProdiscS03
    Don't know why they would sub with MCCs.
    No reply from them yet in either email or forum. I am still holding out hope.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I ordered mine and they came back as MCC 02RG20 as well. Only problem, I backed up a ps2 game, and these wouldn't play. The ProdiscS03 play fine, but these won't.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dawgedogg
    I ordered mine and they came back as MCC 02RG20 as well. Only problem, I backed up a ps2 game, and these wouldn't play. The ProdiscS03 play fine, but these won't.
    Oh, the irony. Maybe you can send me your spindle of MCC and I will send you my current spindle of ProdiscS03 which really are quite good. (joke)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is not the first time PRODISC media has had MCC ID's
    I've been told MCC helped PRODISC with the S03 line of 4x media.
    Specifically in getting a good AZO formula.
    Whether this is true, don't know, but sounds believable to me.
    And the source is usually pretty reliable.
    Quote Quote  
  17. hmm ok. So is it safe to get the 100 pack?
    Quote Quote  
  18. So is it safe to get the 100 pack?
    nah, go with the 500.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, since SuperMediaStore has not yet responded at all on this subject, it is NOT safe unless you don't mind getting ProdiscS03.
    Quote Quote  
  20. 100 Prodisc 4X DVD-R White + Sleeves $38 at SuperMediaStore.com

100 Prodisc 4X DVD-R White $38 code d3doff (DVD01X0117-100P)

100 Prodisc 8X DVD-R Matte $45 code d4doff (DVD01X0180-100)
    100 pack ProDisc 4X White Inkjet Printable DVD-R No Stacking Ring with Paper Sleeves
    DVD01X0117-100P
    Regular price: $143.00
    Sale price: $41.00
    Quote Quote  
  21. I read another report last week about the exact same thing and I emailed Prodisc and SupermediaStore. Ten days and no response. I don't mind getting better media for my buck but I resent substituting when it is clearly listed as S03, and with no warning. It also looks bad for them to ignore repeated emails. Shame on you Supermedia!
    Still a few bugs in the system...
    Quote Quote  
  22. i just called supermediastore tech support, no one is there to pick up the phone. I then called rima and meritline, they all said the code is still S03 for their prodisc. there is a guy called John in meritline, he actually did a testing, and he told me supermedia store should get the same disc because they buy from the same vendor.
    Quote Quote  
  23. another question, why MCC is better than S03? what else discs are using MCC code?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can confirm that my recently purchased spindle of 50 ProDisc 4X White Inkjet Printable DVD-R have this MCC code. Although the label on the plastic spindle says Prodisc 4X W.I. DVD-R DVD01X0117. They have seemed to work fine for backing up movies, but less so with console games.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hopeinlife
    i just called supermediastore tech support, no one is there to pick up the phone. I then called rima and meritline, they all said the code is still S03 for their prodisc. there is a guy called John in meritline, he actually did a testing, and he told me supermedia store should get the same disc because they buy from the same vendor.
    Good try. I think I am pretty much fed up trying to get them to confirm it and I am probably just going to buy Maxell DVD-Rs from NewEgg. You lost a customer SuperMediaStore. You hear that!

another question, why MCC is better than S03? what else discs are using MCC code?
    MCC is Mitsubishi Chemicals. The discs used to be made in Japan but are now made in Taiwan with the same dye and equipment. They have a pretty good reputation around the forum and on digitalfaq.com. They also sell for much more under different brands, Verbatim and Sony for example. Check the media list for more info.

ProdiscS03's are the current value media darlings but it is generally agreed that they are not as good as 1st class such as Maxell, Taiyo Yuden, and to a slightly lesser extent MCC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 888888
    No, you did not get screwed unless it is fake media or a trick or something. MCC is Mitsubishi Chemicals and though it is made in Taiwan, it is much better than the CMC Magnetics media it is made next to. According to digitalFAQ, MCC is 1st class media whereas ProdiscS03 is 2nd class media.
    You sum up my thoughts exactly. If they are real MCC then thats rocking.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess I'm a little bit late with this one but yes, my recent Prodiscs from rima.com have the MCC 01RG20 code as well. From Rima they told me these are the new Prodiscs. They came in a blue wrap packaged spindle.

Enjoy!
    Quote Quote  
  28. That is strange as last week Rima told me that their Prodiscs were the S03 media code. Looks like I will have to specify media code with each order. Nuts! Just when something is working right they go and change it. Well I hope my drives like MCC (for however long that lasts).

Gregg, could you please provide the Rima part number? Thanks
    Still a few bugs in the system...
    Quote Quote  
  29. Hi folks,

This is Roger from Supermediastore.com. Regarding the media code issue, we have contacted the CEO of Prodisc USA and he confirmed that some Prodisc DVD are using MCC codes. Those MCC codes are supposed to be used for Verbatim branded DVD only but now they have Verbatim's authorization to use those MCC codes for some Prodisc DVD media. Since MCC coded stampler and dye are made by Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation which has good reputation in the industry, the discs with MCC codes have the same good quality and compatibility as other discs, probably better. For new shippments coming into USA, he said those discs might still have MCC codes but he can't guarantee that. So in my opinion, if you got MCC coded discs, you are lucky.

They are some folks in this forum already tested those MCC coded discs. You can find the testing report here

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=234061&highlight=prodisc

Supermediastore.com offers 60 Day money back guarantee for all Prodisc DVD media. If you are not totally satified, you can return those discs to us and no restocking fee would be charged.
    Quote Quote