VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone out there know anything about a LCOS tv is this like a plasma tv. Is an LCOS tv better or worse than plasma, or no comparison. Looking for a little information on LCOS. Thanks All.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Love them both, plasma are cheaper, but still expensive, LCDs are more so. I think LCDs give a better looking picture but you'll pay more for a simliar size.

My own opinion is that LCD technology will rapidly outpace plasma simply because of the sheer number of lcd displays manufactured for monitors, laptops etc. So the price will probably drop significantly compared to plasma as the market just isn't as large.

I'm giving it a couple of years yet, and then hopefully 50 inch LCDs will be around the £1000 mark, my target price!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dyanmix1,

If you seriuosly looking for a 'next gen' TV, then you should consider getting something with DLP. A quick search ought to show you that you'll get the best of both worlds in high def.

I've been looking around to see what's out there. And the price point and quality are much better in this category. Not, that I've purchased one yet but I've got a coworker who has and is very happy with it.

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents....
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did a little searching on LCOS and here is a site that talks about it.
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/lcos.htm

It looks like the LCOS is a cross between an LCD and DLP projector, you will need a screen to project the picture on. And of course with plasma you just hang it on the wall.
    Quote Quote  
  5. LCOS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) is a technology not a TV set per sey.

In simplistic terms it is a form of LCD technology with its own set of advantages and disadvantages.

It can be used for both rear projection (Box like TV) and front projection (projector with a seperate screen). Note LCD can be either rear/front projection, where the LCD chip is much smaller than the actual screen, but is magnified/projected onto the screen. Or it can be flat screen, where the LCD panel is the full size of the screen and you actually look directly at the LCD panel (the kind you hang on the wall.)

As far as I know they do not make a flat screen LCOS like plasma or LCD flat screens.

If you want more info on the pluses and minuses the link to projectorcentral above is a great place for info on Front Projection, while the forums at www.avsforum.org will have endless information on all of the different types.

Personally, If I were to have my picks:
    -Large screen hang on wall-> Plasma
    -Large screen sit on table-> DLP Rear Projection
    -Really large screen kick ass setup-> DLP Front Projection

-Suntan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I second that

Also, I'm among the few who believes on plasma technology.
    La Linea by Osvaldo Cavandoli
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A fried of mine works in the consumer electronics industry and sells al ltypes of screen. Acording to him the failure rate on plazma is 10 times higher then on led type displays.

Barrybear
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A fried of mine works in the consumer electronics industry and sells al ltypes of screen. Acording to him the failure rate on plazma is 10 times higher then on led type displays.

Barrybear
    Quote Quote  
  9. Firstly, I don't think there are any commercial LED screens that compare to plasma screens.

If you are talking about LCD screens, I would think that the failure rate of LCD screens is pretty high. A fair proportion of screens don't even leave the factory.

Secondly, show me a LCD screen even close to the size of a cheap plasma screen!

IMHO, LCD in its current form is dead end display technology.

Watch out for organic LED technology and the various types of bistable LCD technologies!

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    neomaine,

I've just bought an In-Focus X2 (OK bit of bragging) But I love it, picture is imense and fantastic quality. Downside, its a little on the noisy side, but hey it gives you an excuse to crank up the srround sound!

I went for a projector rather than plasma/lcd simply because of the viewing experience/price far outstips current flat panel displays.

Now when I can get a 8 foot wide lcd/plasma for about £1000, I might just change my mind
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yes they all have there pluses and minuses. The stories about plasma burnin and phosphor half life are somewhat irelevent with the latest gen Plasmsa, but they do take a lot more power/disapate a lot more heat than an LCD of the same size. Also, most of the 43" ones are not truely HiDef (853x480 instead of 1280x720) but they do look kick ass.

The DLP rear projection TV sets look great for the cost/size/hassle compared to CRT rear projection, but they are still a box requiring a table to sit on (which takes them off my list as long as my wife has a say) and if you can see the rainbows (I can't) then that sucks.

DLP Front projection gives you better performance than LCD front projection (IMO) but the rainbow issue still exsists and you need more of a dedicated room for it as setup is more complex and ambient light levels need to be controlled.

At the end of the day if it looks good, I will watch it and not really give a damn about the technology behind it.

-Suntan
    Quote Quote