LiteOn SOHW-1213S
    LiteOn SOHW-812S
    NEC ND-2500A
    NEC ND-2510A
    Pioneer DVR-107
    Pioneer DVR-A07
    Pioneer DVR-A07XLA
    Toshiba SDR5272

So which dvd rw should I get from this list ? I would need the following requirements:
    -it will be my only dvd drive, so it has to be a good reader.
    -it needs to burn well with cheap dvd +/- media
    -bitsetting capability
    -dual layer would also be nice
    Quote Quote  
  2. You will soon get NEC ND-3510A which I have ordered. It is a better deal. Otherwise NEC ND-2510A is also very nice. Been using it for about 5 months.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Why don't you try Pioneer 107? I had one for about 7 1/2 month, and it is still working fine. And the price is just fair and fine to me. Exactually I bought an NEC 2500A at some time, but NEC just got retired way earlier than Pioneer.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd get the Benq. Once you burn a few +R bitset to DVD-ROM with it you will fall in love. It is fast, produces great write quality, set and forget bitsetting, and should have a dual layer firmware by the end of September. From your list, I don't have any experience with LG or Toshiba drives, but I have used some Pioneers, NEC 2510a and 1 Liteon (411S). After the Benq I would choose the Pioneer but it doesn't meet your requirements, no bitsetting or +R DL support. Also look at what each of the companies has done in the past as far as supporting older drives. NEC and Pioneer don't seem to put much more than added MID codes to new firmwares where Benq has added new features. And I don't mind a company adding features to a firmware and selling it to me for $10.00, any of the rest of them going to do that over sell you a complete new drive?
    Quote Quote  
  5. ^^^
    Thanks for the info ccbadd, I was thinking of getting the BenQ as well. I just have a quick question though
    Originally Posted by ccbadd
    And I don't mind a company adding features to a firmware and selling it to me for $10.00
    I think I heard BenQ was going to offer the DL support firmware for free, do you know if that's true?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I heard BenQ was going to offer the DL support firmware for free, do you know if that's true?
    Yes, +R DL support will be free and available by the end of September I hope. What I was talking about in that earlier post was when Benq offered 800A owners an upgrade to 4X -R support also for $10.00 in addition to releasing a dual format drive. Most other manufacturers simply put out the same drive with a new firmware and make you buy a new hardware when it is not necessary.

Some other things to look at:

Did you notice that only a few drive manufacturers upgraded there firmwares to support 4X -/+ RW media to existing drives after the spec became official? They added it to later version of there hardware, but there was no technical reason that a drive that could -/+ media @ 4X could not add 4X -/+ RW support over 2/2.4X support that was already there.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Bank on Benq
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote