VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, this is my first post. I am a total newbie when it comes to video/dvd stuff.
    I am trying to get several avi's I have onto a DVD.
    The avi's have this information (found from info in VLC)
    Stream 0:
    Codec - XVID
    Type - video
    Resolution - 640x352

General
    duration - 45:00

Stream 1:
    codec - mpga
    type - audio
    channels - 2
    sample rate - 48000hz
    bitrate - 128000 bps

File:
    Setting - HAS_INDEX IS_INTERLEAVED
    ---------

I have followed a tutorial, located in one of the moderators sigs.
    I have also tried using these programs, and have not had any luck
    dvd2onex
    ffmpeg
    mpeg2 works
    sizzle

Any help/insight is appreciated.
    thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a basic guide.

Oops, sorry. Just noticed that you wanted help for a mac. Please ignore.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    look to the link in my siguature, should set ya straight
    Quote Quote  
  4. What happens when you try ffmpegx or MPEG2 Works? Both of these are (IMHO) the standard tools for conversion. They handle XViD files very well in my machine, and I have converted dozens of divx/xvid avi files into dvd ready mpeg2s. What happens when you try to convert with these apps? Do error messages pop up? How long are you allowing them to work? It should take a good 3-6 hours for the conversion, are you cancelling out before that?

The easiest way is to get Toast and install either the Divx or 3ivx codecs into Quicktime. Then select DVD under Toast's video tab and drop the AVIs into the window. The quality of the resulting MPEGs may not be the best possible, but you cannot beat the ease of use.

::edited for typos, grammar and general dtupid mistakes::
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been wondering about all of the recommended methods for encoding DVD's from various sources I've read for the Mac OS, lately I've been simply importing a file into iDVD and leaving it at that, is there a technical reason why this is not a good method?
    -laugh while you can monkey boy! - Dr. Lizardo
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by NarenFish
    I've been wondering about all of the recommended methods for encoding DVD's from various sources I've read for the Mac OS, lately I've been simply importing a file into iDVD and leaving it at that, is there a technical reason why this is not a good method?
    It's a matter of control and video quality. Using a variable bit rate encoder with a good bitrate calculator will maximize your image quality. iDVD does not give you control over bitrate and that means colors and images can begin to look blocky and artifacts may begin to show up. It also stops you from creating DVDs greater than 2 hours long. If you want to archive videos at a lower bitrate, or fit more episodes onto a DVD you are SOL. The audio in iDVD is encoded as PCM audio which takes up more space than an AC3 track. If you have an AC3 encoder that leaves more space for video which again means better quality.

With that said, do whatever works for you. If you see no difference in quality, if you just want the menus and simplicity of iDVD then go for it. Some of us go pretty hardcore into trying to squeeze the best video out of our DVDs possible. I have a bit of an obsessive personality anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, for clearing that up, I did notice that what I was burning did seem to take up more space than I expected. I still appreciate how little time it takes iDVD to encode the file though.
    -laugh while you can monkey boy! - Dr. Lizardo
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by galactica
    look to the link in my siguature, should set ya straight
    I have tried it, and still no luck, you would be the moderator I mention here:
    I have followed a tutorial, located in one of the moderators sigs
    ...sorry, I just couldn't remember your name when initially positng.

I have those codecs installed, so I'll give that toast thing a shot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been making DVDs from avi files for a while now. It's time for me to pen my methods into a new guide.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by pixeljammedia
    What happens when you try ffmpegx or MPEG2 Works? Both of these are (IMHO) the standard tools for conversion. They handle XViD files very well in my machine, and I have converted dozens of divx/xvid avi files into dvd ready mpeg2s. What happens when you try to convert with these apps? Do error messages pop up? How long are you allowing them to work? It should take a good 3-6 hours for the conversion, are you cancelling out before that?
    I have tried both, both go through about 2-4 hours of converting for each avi I have. They make some sort of .m2a file (i think) Then I open sizzle and try and get a video_ts folder thing, then instead of burning that to a DVD i try to open it in the mac dvd player. Its able to open it, but when it does, I get an error.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Before you bring them into sizzle do you check the .m2vand .mp2 in VLC? Why don't you use the authoring parts of ffmpegx or mpeg2 works instead of Sizzle? What presetr so you use in the two programs? Does the VIDEO_TS work in VLC?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Ok, so I tried ffmmpegX again last night. I just used the 'DVD' quick present and by doing that I got these files
    E1.ac3
    E1.m2v
    E1.mpg
    E1.mpg.DVD (folder) -> AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS
    E1.mpg.dvd.img

I tested all the files in VLC and was able to get them to work. My question is, now what do I do? I figured I had to use sizzle now, but it was my understanding that the only reason you were to use sizzle is if you wanted to get a VIDEO_TS with chapters and all that, since I already have that, now do I just drop it into Toast? I don't have very many blank DVD's so I don't really want to waste any.

thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jeremy_scott
    ... now do I just drop it into Toast?
    Yes. Either the img into the copy tab window or the VIDEO_TS into the DVD=ROM (UDF) section of the Data tab.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I tried to do this, but still no luck.

I am able to watch the video_ts folder through the apple dvd player. but when I dragged the video_ts folder into toast and burned the DVD it did not work. I am using toast 5.2 could this be a problem?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jeremy_scott
    ...I am using toast 5.2 could this be a problem?
    Well why didn't you say so?!?

In Toast 5.2, select Other>DVD
    Then click New DVD
    name your DVD something in all caps and no spaces (underscores "_" are okay)
    Drag in your VIDEO_TS folder.
    Click "Add" and name the new folder "AUDIO_TS" (no quotation marks)
    If any files show up like "desktop db" or stuff like that then delete them. All you should see are the 2 folders. Then burn
    Quote Quote  
  16. sweet, that worked!!!

I watched a minute or two of it, and the quality was a sorta iffy. I used the "dvd" quick present in FFmpegX. Can you point me in the direction of gettting better quality using FFmpegX?
    Quote Quote