VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've read multiple threads/guides about how the Return/Default settings for key-pressed interaction works in VCDEasy, but do those settings apply to standalone hardware DVD/VCD players or do they also apply to software PC players like powerDVD/winDVD?
    The guides say that "Return" refers to "Stop" and "Default" refers to "Play/Enter." I made a menu-based VCD that applied these settings, and Return/Default don't seem to work properly on my software player (winDVD). For example, I use MPEG stills for menus and MPEGs for the actual video content. When an MPEG is playing, I set the "Return" setting to go back to the MPEG still that represents the current video in the menu. Instead, clicking "Stop" on the player causes the entire VCD to just stop playing. Shouldn't clicking "Stop" invoke the action mapped onto "Return?"
    Also, when navigating the menus I set the "Default" action to play the MPEG clip that the menu currently shows the cursor on. IE: 1[] 2[x] 3[] My menu has 3 options and when the "x" is on option 2 and the user chooses the "Default" action, then the #2 MPEG clip ought to play. However, trying this feature on winDVD simply doesn't work. I can navigate my menus correctly, but when I click "Play" on a menu option nothing happens.
    I've tripled checked my settings on VCDEasy and everything seems to be fine. I haven't checked how this would work on a standalone VCD/DVD player, but software players don't seem to work well with these VCD's (they play fine, but navigation is iffy).
    Anyone know what's wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi!
    I've made some tests with the Interaction in VCDEasy. I've got the keys Return and Stop to work as the guides says. However when I play my VCD/SVCD in PowerDVD, then the same thing happends for me as it does for you. The keys doesn't work in PowerDVD.

I really don't know if this is a bug or if it's something related to software based DVD-players. Personally it's not a problem for me, because I usually play my VCD/SVCD on my standalone DVD player.

// Znooky
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hey thanks for the info. I was actually able to test my vcd's on a friend's standalone player today and they work as expected. I guess it's just the software players that aren't so compatible with VCDEasy.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The PBC functions work for BOTH stand-alone DVD players AND software DVD players.

The issue, however, is in terms of key mapping.

Most DVD players (not surprisingly) have a remote control designed primarily for playing DVDs. As such, many won't have VCD specific keys such as "default" and "return". As such, these keys will be mapped to one of the other buttons. To which other button is not uniform across manufacturers though they usually make sense.

The "default" option is often the "Play" or "Enter" button and the "return" option is often the "Menu" or "Stop" key.

There is a similar situation with software DVD players. The GUI is primarily designed to play DVDs rather than VCDs. For PowerDVD, there is a "return" button which looks like:

PowerDVD XP has not have the "default" option mapped as a button. This is a software limitation.

Best regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote