VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Alright, I don't really keep count, but I think I just passed the 5K mark on PRODISCS03 media. Here's what I see:

This is one of the best media, especially for this price range.

PRODISC coasters do not "break up" or anything of the sort. When a Prodisc is bad, normally the whole disc is bad, in fact it usually chokes at burn within 2 minutes. Successful burns are normally perfect discs. This is my favorite way to get coasters. I'd rather know from the first minutes of the burning stage than have to burn the whole disc and get to the end of watching it or a data verify (15x to 200x longer this way).

Some of the coasters may be to blame on the drives too. I know one machine is not operating under the best IDE conditions either, but it works well enough for me to not care to fix it.

Out of each 100-pack, I get maybe 6 coasters. So 94% isn't bad at all. True, I could spend 3x more money and get a few less coasters, but the $$$ saved is better.

My personal Ritek usage generally crapped out 10-11 RITEK media.

Understand this is a "burn abuse" test too. I make TY masters and then replicate whatever the order requires on the PRODISC. The client gets a couple of MASTER discs and then the rep order (anywhere from 20-100 discs).

So all the PRODISC are 4x on-the-fly burns, which is already more unstable than from-hard-drive burning. Even MXL and TY spits out 2-3 discs per 100 in this burning style.

So, is PRODISCS03 good media? From my personal experience, I'd have to say yes. Add that to others I test media with, and then comments in site like this, and then DEFINITELY is you answer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You mind if I ask where you buy your Prodiscs?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 888888
    You mind if I ask where you buy your Prodiscs?
    Most of them have come from supermediastore, at least my recent ones.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Are the Prodisc Inkjet printables the same as the "regular" Prodisc? (I'm not so sure about the Riteks anymore.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Been using a lot of the ProdiscS03 printables, both silver and white hub discs. They have been very good in the burnin. The only slight probm is that the white hub ones when printed shows that the print surface is not perfectly flat. The prints look very good direct on but if u look at them at a slight angle, ther are lines/ridges? that shows up when a light is reflected on them...very minor. I thght it was my printer (Epson 200) but I printed white RiDataG04 and this doesnt happen. But the Prodisc are cheaper then the RiData so I'll keep using the S03...very good burns.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I like the Prodiscs, but my experience has been a bit less successful.

I'm using the white printable Prodiscs from Shop4Tech.

I've burned about 40 of them and have had probably 8 or so coasters.

Only one or two coasters on my Panasonic E-30 stand alone recorder.

Most coasters on my Pioneer A05 with the Gradius firmware. Most failures are when burning a ISO disc image at 4x with DVD Decrypter. I test all my discs with Nero DVD Speed and the surface scans on the coasters show solid red errors over the last 10% of the failed disc on the last few discs I did.

What's interesting is that I don't seem to get these errors burning at 2x using Decrypter or when burning an ISO at 4x using Nero. Wondering if there is some sort of bug with the AO5/Decrypter at 4x and the Prodisc.

Still, I like the printable surface and the price. With printable Riteks running at 35% more delivered, I'm going to order another 50 pack today.

jb
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If Prodiscs are grade 3 then my cheapos are grade 4. My success rate is about 1 in 100. Though they have very bad PI/PO, surprisingly, all 99% of them are playable in my DVD players without any noticeable defects.
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
  8. My first set of discs that I bought were some Memorex S03's that all burned and played flawlessly... Shelved the movies... pulled them out 6, 8 months later and some (only a few) are starting to exhibit some jitters and freezing. Granted... they were $50.00 for 50 pieces (about a year ago) so the price was right... but some of the discs are now worthless.

Lordsmurf.... how old are some of your S03 burns? Notice any failures due to 'time on the shelf'?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Sam Ontario
    If Prodiscs are grade 3 then my cheapos are grade 4. My success rate is about 1 in 100. Though they have very bad PI/PO, surprisingly, all 99% of them are playable in my DVD players without any noticeable defects.

I have seen the same PI/PIF ( if you mean that 120 errors or so are bad) and yet I have never seen another disk that will go through the CDSpeed transfer rate test all the way up to 14X with a straight line. All my Prodiscs do this, which accounts for their great readability on anything.

I have only burned 400 or so but these are also my disc of choice for my Pioneer 107. Now to see how they do on my new Liteon 832S.

Now for the big question: Should I stock up? Will they go the way of the Ritek G04s?

lordsmurf: Thanks for the feed back. I have been sold on these for a while. Have you any experience with the Prodisc 8X?

ADDED: I have now run this disk with the latest Kprobe and the latest patched firmwares on Liteon 812S and Pioneer 1007D and both had Kprobe scans with PI errors in the 60s and 40s. Very good for a 36 cent DVD.
    Still a few bugs in the system...
    Quote Quote  
  10. This flys in the face of everything I've heard about DVD - R media. I've always thought that Riteks were the best media hands down and Prodiscs were more of and economy priced alternative. I have a poineer A06 and i've always used the compusa brand media, but recently they've become really unrelialble (about a 50 % failure rate). I'm about to order another batch of DVD-R's, what has the best compatability? Has anyone had any experience using the Pioneer A06 with Riteks and Prodiscs?
    The distance between genius and insanity is measured only by success...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A few of my earliest test burns were some DVD backups. I just watched both of them a few days ago. Most of those discs are for customers. For myself, I only use MCC, MXL and TY actually.

No experience with 8x media. I've only got a 4x max set of burners. I won't add another drive until Pioneer releases the 16xSL and 2-4xDL drives. Hopefully -R4xDL is what I'm wanting. I use 8x at 4x burns when I get them.

I've still never seen a disc "go bad", not even my earliest cheap trash from 2001-2002 (LD, Princo, RITEKG01, etc). As I say in several places, that's not really possible because of the science of the media.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by trickyman
    ...Has anyone had any experience using the Pioneer A06 with Riteks and Prodiscs?
    As a matter of fact, I have! Link in sig tests 13 DVD-Rs with the 106. Ritek is still my favorite.

-Evan-
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm up to almost 200 of them in the JVC DR-M10, I haven't had a bad one yet. If you live closer to the west coast you can get them from http://www.rima.com the price is about the same as Meritline, but shipping is less. They get to where I am (Utah) in 2 days.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by QuaiBoy
    Originally Posted by trickyman
    ...Has anyone had any experience using the Pioneer A06 with Riteks and Prodiscs?
    As a matter of fact, I have! Link in sig tests 13 DVD-Rs with the 106. Ritek is still my favorite.

-Evan-
    Also look here...

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76
    Quote Quote  
  15. Lordsmurf,

What kind of tops did your Prodiscs have that you bought?

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  16. lordsmurf,

Well.. if you burned 5000 prodiscs and a lot other DVDs, probably you can say the lifetime of DVD burners.

My first DVD burner died after ~250 burn, which was short of expectation. But in fact it was a good timing, because the 1 year warranty was barely alive.

I've burned thousands of CDs and a CD burner survived more than 1000 burn. How's your experience with DVD burner? Can you name brands or models with good durability?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Just got my 1st 50-pack Prodisc from rima.com, so far so good, burned 3 disc and no error. One of them was done in 4x while the others were 2x (DRU-500A, the 1st generation). Nero DVD-Speed shows a perfect curve on the 4x one so I think they're all OK. The dye color is slightly lighter purple then the Maxell one but not as light as the 1x Princo I got long long time ago. For $26 shipped can't beat that.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    which ProDisc to buy? The 4X DvD+R or DvD-R s'??

Thanks
    *New Mac user*, been PC user 4 life
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Regal

Thanks
    If same price, IMO, go for the +R. If -R is 10% less than go for -R.
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chas0039
    Originally Posted by Sam Ontario

I have seen the same PI/PIF ( if you mean that 120 errors or so are bad) and .......
    Lots of my cheapos are actually over PI max 600~1000. They play fine in all of my DVD players.
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Sam Ontario
    Originally Posted by Regal

Thanks
    If same price, IMO, go for the +R. If -R is 10% less than go for -R.
    I might be wrong but I think lordsmurf has done his Prodisc burning on DVD-Rs, code S03. Do not assume that a good -R disc will mean the company also makes a good +R disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD-R here. No need for lesser-compatible DVD+R format.
    As said, be aware -R and +R and even -RAM/+RW/-RW from the same company will not always be the same quality.

Life of burners? My 103 from mid-2001 still burns fine, though it's in another PC now, given to a family member. Never seen a burner die, not really, not on its own accord.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I get about a 1.5% coaster rate on Prodisc S03 (can't really remember which specific ones though).

Last night, I did a 8X burn and it failed verification. So, I am running all the ones I did at 8X to see if it's a firmware type problem. I know they are only rated 4X but they are such good quality, I wouldn't try it with anything else.

RIMA is cheaper for me.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I never buy +R, for the reasons Smurf said above.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I love ProdiscS03's, but my experience with good +R media set to DVD-ROM book type is almost(only my Aopen DVD-ROM drive has trouble) just as compatatble. I have several different burners and ALL burn ProdiscS03 perfectly, Ritek.... NOT.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have a nec-2500a with a hack firmware (107v2b4dl) I can burn prodisc at 8x. have burn them with nero, copytodvd, and recordnow. All burn perfect . I burned about 500 to 600 hundred now problem, Just some human mistakes. Love this disk!!!!!!!!! Are Way better then ritak..
    Quote Quote  
  27. 35/50 (15 not burned yet) have been flawless with silver matted Prodisc 03s.

And for about 40 shipped at Rima.com for 100, I'm going to stick with them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've burned about 50 now. A few choked during burn. One seems to burn fine, then wouldn't play or even see there was any data on it. I'm to picky though so I used most of the last of them for Data disk, I'll stick with TYs and Ricohs for Movies.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I just want to note that smurf burns dvd-video, not data (even just mpeg4 encodes).

Data tends to be different. Small amounts of corrupt data is acceptable in dvd-video as long as it's distributted over the disc, but video is more succeptible to PO type errors since it "breaks" on the screen. Data can afford some slow-down in extra error correction but will not tolerate any uncorrectable errors. In general video is not demanding just because it's read back so slow.

Players can also be DVD-ROM based or video based and they tolerate different errors differently. So be careful in testing.

In my opinion, consistent high PI error (in mutiple drives) indicate an iffy disc that's just good enough for playback. But if prodisc has consistent enough quality control then good for them. Still wouldn't trust it for data, though.

HEX
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use them for data too. They're fine.
    Quote Quote