VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by Treebeard
    while its not a full to the brim disc, the results are better than what I got w/ my Riteks. I usually got a little fluctuation on the Riteks somewhere throughout the disc. to lordsmurf.
    I feel that 2x-5x reading should be smooth for any acceptable media. (Though everybody has a different standard for the word "acceptable". )

If the reputation I heard is true, prodisc S03 wouldn't require a sweat in 8x CAV test for most drives. 8x CAV or 12X CAV reading test is a very good tool to judge the quality of a media. (I say this because too many people are obsessed to Kprobe test. It is a good test but shouldn't be taken as the single standard to judge the quality of a media.)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a 50 discs spindle ProdiscS03 last week. Burnt one disc OK last night and tested play OK on some of my DVD players. But my Electrohome 8168 and Citizen 3838 will not play it - not very compatible with -R!
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
  3. My Prodisc review and others can also be found here
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  4. CD-SPEED (read speed) is NOT a good way to test quality of dvd-vid. Not only are you NOT testing on the drive you'll probably play with, you're definitely not testing at the relevant speed. So any correlation would be completely incidental ... not that that's ever stopped anybody.

HEX
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by agenthex
    CD-SPEED (read speed) is NOT a good way to test quality of dvd-vid. Not only are you NOT testing on the drive you'll probably play with, you're definitely not testing at the relevant speed. So any correlation would be completely incidental ... not that that's ever stopped anybody.

HEX
    There is no one test sees it all answer, agreed!?

the only real test is, I burn it, it works in my handfull of computer, dvd players and friends players, nuff said. I also never get complaint from clients I have sold dvd's too.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by indolikaa

Listen up, *******!

**** you, *******.

Well, that makes two of us, huh? Way to pretend to take the higher moral ground...or not, I won't pretend to understand.

Look at it from my perspective. All I've done in this thread is question whether doing a lot of burns of dvd-video is adequate verification of quality. I've throw around ideas of better ways of doing things -- and all the gratitude I've gotten in return is some smurf guy and "cohorts" I guess pile on insults. Now, like you, I'm not one to take that lying down, you get the idea...

On a more personal level, there were other forums where I've posted a lot. I would spend tons of time over maybe two year, and I've still only got ~1000 post... maybe I was thinking too much and not typing enough. Perhaps why I stopped was because I felt I ended up just helping people who won't RTFM or won't just click everything and figure it out ... and not really learning anything.

Let me put it another way: Most people just want to emulate a successful setup, so if you spend a LOT of time helping people, you might as well just make a "profile" for whatever application and write a guide and point them to it. It's a engineering solution to a technician problem. On the other hand, I like to push boundaries, try new things, and I get the feeling internet forums are becoming ever less conducive to this.

Originally Posted by indolikaa

And get this, English is not his first language!
    I think you're presuming English is my first language... I bet his first language was at least latin-derived! :P

HEX
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by agenthex

Listen up, *******!

**** you, *******.

Well, that makes two of us, huh? Way to pretend to take the higher moral ground...or not, I won't pretend to understand.
    WTF?! Where did 'higher moral ground' come into this argument? I was insulting you. It's really not that hard to understand.

Look at it from my perspective. All I've done in this thread is question whether doing a lot of burns of dvd-video is adequate verification of quality. I've throw around ideas of better ways of doing things -- and all the gratitude I've gotten in return is some smurf guy and "cohorts" I guess pile on insults. Now, like you, I'm not one to take that lying down, you get the idea...
    I am looking at it from your perspective. You're being an *******. Saying things like 'some smurf guy' and "cohorts" only reinforces that. What makes you think we are a bunch of cohorts of LordSmurf? Because some people happen to agree with him, or because not everybody agrees with you? You then throw some childish accusations around regarding my reading comprehension. And you don't understand the purpose of my post?

You've taken the liberty of drilling holes in your DVDs to see if they will still play. Fabulous. I'll sleep better knowing if I ever find myself with a drill in my hand on the bad side of a bender, my DVD collection is safe.

On a more personal level, there were other forums where I've posted a lot. I would spend tons of time over maybe two year, and I've still only got ~1000 post... maybe I was thinking too much and not typing enough. Perhaps why I stopped was because I felt I ended up just helping people who won't RTFM or won't just click everything and figure it out ... and not really learning anything.
    You've got 21 posts here. I apologize, but I fail to see your point.

Let me put it another way: Most people just want to emulate a successful setup, so if you spend a LOT of time helping people, you might as well just make a "profile" for whatever application and write a guide and point them to it. It's a engineering solution to a technician problem. On the other hand, I like to push boundaries, try new things, and I get the feeling internet forums are becoming ever less conducive to this.
    How does drilling holes in a DVD help a newbie to emulate a successful setup?

If this is your idea of pushing boundaries and trying new things, I will wait with baited breath for you to explain, in a guide, of course, how drilling holes and putting pieces of tape on a DVD helps a newcomer to this hobby.

I think you're presuming English is my first language... I bet his first language was at least latin-derived! :P
    Swedish comes from the Indo-European language family, and it's Germanic in origin. That would make it a candidate for the honor of being a Latin-derived tongue. It's not my modersmål, I'm afraid, but I believe you got this one right, Professor.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by indolikaa
    WTF?! Where did 'higher moral ground' come into this argument? I was insulting you. It's really not that hard to understand.
    "Higher moral ground" comes into a lot of arguments. When you insult someone in a manner that makes yourself look the better (more intelligent, moral) man, you claim higher ground. It's very simple, eg: "Let me explain something to you. I'll try to limit my speech to words with less than 2 syllables, if at all possible. I don't want you to get confused, or disoriented, by the incredible powers held within the capacities of my skull..."

I am looking at it from your perspective. You're being an *******. Saying things like 'some smurf guy' and "cohorts" only reinforces that. What makes you think we are a bunch of cohorts of LordSmurf?
    You really haven't thought about forum dynamics much. In any forum, if a "newb" comes in asking tough questions, disrupting the flow of thing, they basically get cracked on the head...by every oldtimer. Now, it doesn't matter if the old-timers can't agree on the time of day, this becomes a uniting factor. I also know all I have to do is weather the punishment, repeat what I do, and it just becames part of the flow of thing...

You then throw some childish accusations around regarding my reading comprehension. And you don't understand the purpose of my post?
    And I will continue to do the same. The whole ecc thing was really an insignificant part of nothing. It was insinuated by some folks with no sense of curiosity and just blown way out of context. I don't know why it keeps being brought back. It's a long dead horse, get over it.

Swedish comes from the Indo-European language family, and it's Germanic in origin. That would make it a candidate for the honor of being a Latin-derived tongue. It's not my modersmål, I'm afraid, but I believe you got this one right, Professor.
    English also comes from Indo-European (Germanic) family, and they connect to "latin" family much longer back. Not really my subject, though.

In any case, please re-read my prior post, and maybe it'll sink in that I'm an engineer first (I know you don't get a lot, probably because most are timid, get discouraged and leave), and ******* second (it takes two *******s to tangle anyway).

HEX
    Quote Quote  
  9. indolikaa, I re-read how this thing between us started, and would like to apologize. You were trying to interject some wit into the thread and I was looking for someone to stick it to about the drilling thing.

Then it just got out of hand as pissing contests are wont to do.

HEX
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by agenthex
    indolikaa, I re-read how this thing between us started, and would like to apologize. You were trying to interject some wit into the thread and I was looking for someone to stick it to about the drilling thing.

HEX

moral high ground? <looking around the room>
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    indolikaa, I re-read how this thing between us started, and would like to apologize.
    The backslide.

You really need to learn to to finish a flaming properly
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    indolikaa, I re-read how this thing between us started, and would like to apologize. You were trying to interject some wit into the thread and I was looking for someone to stick it to about the drilling thing.

HEX
    No need to apologize! You have put forward your points and I do think they are valid and open my mind. Ignore the insults, they are not worth anything.
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
  13. The topic here is Prodiscs right? I mean I did read a few posts about Prodiscs at the beginning didn't I? Then someone started drilling holes in discs and then there were a few off color comments that reminded me of Cheney talking to Congress. Some more drilling I guess. Somewhere there was a question about what language the poster spoke and I'm not sure about that. Do Prodiscs come in different languages?

I remember someone asking about electricity and lightning (some guy named Franklin I think?). I am pretty sure I remember someone else suggestion that I stick pieces of tape on my DVDs.

Now I am confused. Should my Prodiscs have holes in them? Should I write to the dealer and ask for the special ones with holes? If I can drill these myself would someone send me a template? After I get the right discs, is there a special tape I use to cover the holes? I know this must be important and related to my Prodiscs because that IS the topic right? It's in the title!
    Still a few bugs in the system...
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by chas0039
    Now I am confused. Should my Prodiscs have holes in them? Should I write to the dealer and ask for the special ones with holes? If I can drill these myself would someone send me a template? After I get the right discs, is there a special tape I use to cover the holes? I know this must be important and related to my Prodiscs because that IS the topic right? It's in the title!
    They should only come with one hole. It should be exactly right in the middle of the disc (about the size of your pinky finger)

After you record to your disc, you can drill a small hole in it, so your DVD burn knows not to record to it again. (Like the tab on VHS cassettes)

My Prodisc review and others can also be found here
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Sam Ontario

HEX
    No need to apologize! You have put forward your points and I do think they are valid and open my mind. Ignore the insults, they are not worth anything.
    Hey Mr. Ontario,

Why don't you mind your own business, dumbass. The apology was directed at me, not you!

Mr. Agenthex,

Although you didn't need to do so, I welcome your apology and accept it without reservation. You had an opinion that you felt could be backed up by personal experience. I poked fun at it, you took it the wrong way, and we ended up exchanged pleasantries. No bid deal, it happens from time to time on these forums. I'm not one to keep quiet when I feel my toes have been stepped on, and I do respect people who aren't afraid to stand their ground and fight back.

Cheers!
    Quote Quote