VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Thanks for the tip. The Hybrid VBR option was set to AUTOMATIC. Changed it to FIXED. Let's hope that does the trick.

I also tried reading the file straight from the DVD-RAM using TMPEnc DVD Author but it wouldn't take it because of the different formats within the programme.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by petersu
    Thanks for the tip. The Hybrid VBR option was set to AUTOMATIC. Changed it to FIXED. Let's hope that does the trick.

I also tried reading the file straight from the DVD-RAM using TMPEnc DVD Author but it wouldn't take it because of the different formats within the programme.
    Yes when I said OFF I should have said FIXED and when I said ON I should have said AUTOMATIC.

You do want it set to FIXED.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have the combined VHS and DVD_RAM DMR-E75V so this thread has proved to be invaluable.

I downloaded the TMPGEnc MPEG Editor but it doesn't understand the audio stream. Unfortunately the description of how to solve this by demultiplexing and re-multiplexing in TMPGEnc Plus doesn't translate perfectly to MPEG Editor. In particular you can't open the MPG file as an audio source for demultiplexing. Can anyone provide an alternative technique in MPEG Editor or do I need to use PLUS instead?

BTW something that threw my early attempts to transfer VHS to DVD to PC was the fact that One Touch Dubbing on the E75V automatically divides the video when it spots an index mark on the source tape, resulting in an unusable MPG. Fortunately, starting dubbing manually doesn't suffer from this so I have managed to produce contiuous MPG files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have Panasonic DMR-E75V
    it also records the video in vro file format
    You can use these vro files using two different programs
    First transfer the file to the HD (copy and paste). Change the file
    extension to mpg
    Then using
    1. the old showbiz (version 1.0 made by Arcsoft) you edit the video and add enhancements of different kind to it. After that save it as mpeg2 (quality 100%) file (not as DVD file)
    you then use it in your favorite authoring and burning program
    I use sonic my dvd

2. I have also used Nero 6.6 to read in the video file and edited
    it. After that I export it as an mpg file. I later bring that mpg file and take it to the authoring and burning section of Nero and burn it

This saves a lot of time for me.
    It seems to work fine
    The only thing is, sometimes Nero has a difficult time to read in
    a long file.

I must say I never had any problem with the showbiz (version 1)

you can throw any video file at it and it will churn out a mpeg2 file in a resonable time.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by indyram
    2. I have also used Nero 6.6 to read in the video file and edited
    it. After that I export it as an mpg file. I later bring that mpg file and take it to the authoring and burning section of Nero and burn it
    Can someone please tell me how to do this? I just got a new DVD writer with Nero 6.6, and it has the "control center." I've tried several of the "control center" options for reading in a VRO file from DVD-RAM, and every time, it either tells me this disk is copyrighted (yeah, right!) or it takes errors and stops reading the disk.

Also, this thread is over a year old. Is there another way (preferably free) to convert VRO files to DVDR?

Thanks a lot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnsees
    Also, this thread is over a year old. Is there another way (preferably free) to convert VRO files to DVDR?
    TMPGEnc DVD Author is a great simple easy-to-use DVD authoring program that works very well. It has the ability to read a DVD-RAM disc and import it directly into the program from the DVD-RAM disc all without any need to do any conversion or ripping beforhand.

You then have the ability to do some simple "cut" editing and can then create chapter marks and a menu and create a VIDEO_TS folder. At that point you can burn with NERO or you can use the TMPGEnc DVD Author ability to create an ISO IMAGE file. If you do that you can then burn the ISO IMAGE file with ImgBurn which is a freeware program that just happens to be one of the best DVD burner programs money can buy ... which is "funny" since it is free. But really my point is that it is the best DVD burner program even though it is freeware.

So if you want to make your DVD-RAM life easy ... go with TMPGEnc DVD Author.

However ... please note ... that at certain "extended" recording times ... a DVD-RAM will at some point use a resolution that is not compliant with the DVD Video format. Your DVD recorder should include that information (knock on wood).

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't justify the cost of TMPGEnc (I wouldn't use it enough), but thanks for the info.

John
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is good information, but can anyone instruct me how to do this using Nero Express 7?
    I copied a DVD RAM recording made in my Panasonic recorder (using a new Sony writer) but since the copy was still in the VR format, it would only play in my Panasonic Recorder
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Latest wrinkle I've found is to use the editor in TMPGEnc DVD Author Pro and edit from within there. If you can edit to single black frames, it's almost as convenient as using Womble DVD Mpeg Wizard (though it can't do some stuff like combine large files to make a single program for a Dual Layer disc). I have successfully been able to use this method to produce single episode series and multi episode discs with and without menu. Works very well....
    Quote Quote  
  10. i also own a Panasonic DMR-E55, and i'm having loads of bother with it.

the advice i've read has been very useful to know so thanks, it's been pretty hard to find. however even if i first format the disc and record once (not multiple recordings) in LP and EP in 6 hour mode (so far) i get this same error occur. i'm not using flexible recording.

Cannot Copy VR_MOVIE.VRO: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
    i've managed to copy a 90min concert i recorded in LP (4hr mode) to my hard drive once through Windows Explorer but i'm finding the PC drive very tempremental. it is LG brand "GSA H10N", and pretty much slow-going as it is. i haven't installed the firmware in this drive which should increase the speed yet as i'm worried i may damage it.

TMPGEnc DVD Author hasn't solved this problem either.

i'm guessing it is my PC drive. if so what is the best internal drive that accepts the Panasonic branded RAM disks?

any help is appreciated
    there is no silicon heaven for machines that are non-compliant .
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't use Windows Explorer to copy content to the hard drive of the computer but Panasonic's own DVD Movie Album with it's Copy Tool. The drive doesn't matter as I have used this software on a number of different drives with the same success.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi all new to this site and didn't have a clue what i just let myself in for by buying a new video camera

i just got a Panasonic VDR-D300 after lots of looking and after talking to the sales person who told me i could edit the movie and make my own movies on my computer, how disappointed i was to find i cant do anything on my computer except watch them

when i try to use the DVD movie album program that came with it i get an error come up and it shuts the program down so i can't do a thing with the files

i've followed all the instructions and removed and reloaded the program a few times to no avail

so i can get the files off the camcorder and into my computer, but then can't do anything but watch them i just one program, they won't open and play on any of my windows players only the Asus DVD player that came with my computer

my question is and it seems this thread started a long time ago with the same question, but i just don't really understand what is already here, so is there an easy program i can use to get the panasonic files into another editing program?

i was going to get myself Pinnacle 10.5 to make my short fishing clips in as i have been just using windows movie maker with movies taken on my still camera, but bought the new camcorder to make better ones

i also had a capture card on the old desk top that i used to capture old movies from mums old panasonic camcorder or video player, can i get a capture card that will capture the movies i have taken with the VDR??

i just want to make some movies like the ones i have already done here

http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s131/ChuckTSeeker/?action=view&current=ChucksMully2.flv

any help greatly appreciated thanks, chuck

ps this is the error message i get when trying to open DVD movie album

I'LL DO IT TOMORROW
    I'M FISHIN TODAY
    Quote Quote  
  13. My Panasoni dvdram came with a program to open & edit that kind of disk called DVD-MovieAlbum.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm still learning the ins and outs of working with dvd-ram/vro but here's my 2 cents worth.

Dvd-ram from my Panasonic es20 has only a UDF file system, unlike other types of disk that explorer is able to read. Evidently, from what I've read, it needs a UDF driver to read the disks. My Pioneer 109 came with the Ulead Data add-on 2.0, which has/is the driver. Apparently, other tools mentioned here have their own way of handleing UDF, though I don't know if that ability is shared with explorer. ISOBuster Pro (not the free version) can also copy from them without a UDF driver.

As for vro, there are a couple of interesting tools I've found for working with them.

Vob tool 0.06 is unsupported but is free. It has the ability to analize the vro file and extract individual recording sessions. Perhaps it would be useful for vro files recorded with different formats, though I haven't tried it for that. Also, it only opens vob directly. For vro, copy/paste the the path and file name in the open dialog.

Vro2vob is a shareware (times out w/o registration) from Japan. No English, but not too hard to figure out. It converts the contents of the disk to a regular dvd structure on the hard drive.

Hope that was useful.
    Quote Quote  
  15. cheers guys but i gave up, especially after reading this thread and took my DVD camera back and swapped it for the Tape version, no problems now

thanks chuck
    I'LL DO IT TOMORROW
    I'M FISHIN TODAY
    Quote Quote  
  16. Just found this thread when my DMREZ28 with DVD-RAM crapped up when trying to edit (divide and delete) the last show recorded. Earlier shows were playable (shows on the first "page"). Shows on the second page with the recording that I attempted to delete were not playable. I ejected the disk and re-inserted it and the disk came up as "unformatted" and I was asked if I wanted to format it. I chose "no" as I did not want to risk the loss of the recorded shows. Google found this forum and this thread and I was encouraged to try to recover the shows by what I read.

This is what worked for me: I pulled the DVD-RAM from the Type IV cart and put it in my DVD drive (LG Super-Multi HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP21) and see a folder containing VR_MOVIE.VRO, VR_MANAGR.IFO, and VR_MANAGR.BUP.

I copied the folder to an attached hard disk and I was able to open VR_MOVIE.VRO directly with VLC media player. All shows are contained in the one VRO file.

I edited the VRO file by opening it directly in AVIdemux v2.5.4 (www.avidemux.org), marked the section to be extracted (A-B) and saved each segment as show11.avi, show12.avi, and show13.avi, etc... Each of the "saved" segments were the show material between commercial breaks. When the entire show was saved, I closed AVIdemux, and reopened it and "opened" show11.avi. AVIdemux has an "append" and so I appended each of the saved show segments. When the show was reassembled, I saved the combined show.

The reassembled show plays nicely with VLC media player. I'll review the previous posts in this thread to locate software to allow me to burn the assembled shows to DVD-R media.

Recovering the shows was almost painless and did not require some of the steps recommended using TMPGEnc Plus and renaming the VR_MOVIE.VRO with a MPG extension. Nor demuxing, or converting audio streams.

What would have been nicer would be a Windows (or Linux) program supplied by Panasonic that would re-create the damaged .BUP and .IFO files. But that is asking for too much. I'm still waiting on a response from Panasonic tech support for help to recover the shows from the damaged DVD-RAM. Maybe they will come through.

I don't know what the hiccup was that rendered the show I was dividing unplayable and caused the DVD-RAM to be recognized at unformatted, as there was no indication when I selected "ok" at the editing prompt asking if I wanted to continue. The divide occurred and the Direct Navigator screen shows the two resulting shows but I could not play or delete the shows and I could not select "edit" on the show that was still to be divided further.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smfabac View Post
    What would have been nicer would be a Windows (or Linux) program supplied by Panasonic that would re-create the damaged .BUP and .IFO files. But that is asking for too much. I'm still waiting on a response from Panasonic tech support for help to recover the shows from the damaged DVD-RAM. Maybe they will come through.

I don't know what the hiccup was that rendered the show I was dividing unplayable and caused the DVD-RAM to be recognized at unformatted, as there was no indication when I selected "ok" at the editing prompt asking if I wanted to continue. The divide occurred and the Direct Navigator screen shows the two resulting shows but I could not play or delete the shows and I could not select "edit" on the show that was still to be divided further.
    It is very doubtful that Panasonic will ever make a utility for data recovery from damaged DVD-RAM discs. The format is slowly dying as machines that use DVD-RAM discs to record become fewer and less popular.

ISOBuster may be able to recover video from the damaged DVD-RAM disc. These are instructions for recovering data from an unfinalized DVD using the free version of ISOBuster, but the procedure for recovering data from a damaged disc would be the same. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...=1#post2180104 If the free version indicates that there is data to recover, the paid version of ISOBuster would be easier to use.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Feb 2013 at 19:21.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by smfabac View Post

It is very doubtful that Panasonic will ever make a utility for data recovery from damaged DVD-RAM discs. The format is slowly dying as machines that use DVD-RAM discs to record become fewer and less popular.

ISOBuster may be able to recover video from the damaged DVD-RAM disc. These are instructions for recovering data from an unfinalized DVD using the free version of ISOBuster, but the procedure for recovering data from a damaged disc would be the same. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...=1#post2180104 If the free version indicates that there is data to recover, the paid version of ISOBuster would be easier to use.
    Well so much for the hope of getting help from Panasonic Technical support:

"Thank you for your inquiry.

CASE NUMBER:30289917

We do apologize for the inconvenience caused,however based on the information provide you will unable to recover your recordings. We recommend you reformat you disc to continue recording.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Thank you for contacting Panasonic."

So we are on our own. I have fully recovered the video I wanted to save. The next step is trying the reformat option to see if the disk is still usable for future recordings.
    Quote Quote