VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently sold my Sony DCR-TRV240 (Digital-8) camcorder and purchased a Panasonic PV-GS120 (MiniDV) camcorder. I have several captured AVI files from the Digital 8 tapes and I want to put them on MiniDV tape for archiving (trying to free up room on the hard drive's too).

One of the files had been previously converted to Type-2 (all were captured as Type-1). The Type-1 files copy to tape easily with WinDV (and other programs) using IEEE-1394, but I cannot get the Type-2 file to copy to the camcorder.

Questions: Is it possible to copy a Type-2 file to tape? If not, what utility can I use to convert it back to Type-1? (All I can find are Type-1 to Type-2 converters, not the other way around).
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hmmm... I print to tape type 2 DV files all the time- often using WinDV. Can't solve your problem but what you want to do is certainly possible.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have figured out my problem. I found the original Type-1 file. I ran DV1to2 and converted it to Type-2. My camcorder was able to receive the Type-2 file. I then made an edit in VirtualDub and saved it out. It was then I could not send it to the camcorder. I looked at the settings in VirtualDub and realized that under the "Video" menu the setting "Full processing mode" was selected. I changed it to "Direct stream copy" and saved it. This time I was able to copy the file to tape.

Hooray!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    full processing mode might work too, though not sure you'd ever actually want to do that. did you remember to set the compression to DV?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, when the menu was set to "Full processing mode", I made sure the compression was set to the Panasonic DV Codec I have. It wouldn't copy to tape. When I set it the other way, the compression item is ghosted of course. That method works for me.
    Quote Quote