VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
Closed Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Guys ... Does any of the new DVD Recorders we have been discussing have any good noise reduction.

For instance ... Sci-Fi channel had the Mini Series BattleStar Galactica and I was barely getting used to using my Panasonic DMR E50S DVD Recorder when it came on.

What made it hard to record was the first part of the mini series was not 2 hours long ... it was 2 HRS and 9 minutes. Totally not prepared for that length of time for recording.

So I ended up recording with my Mitsubishi Super VHS VCR and counting down during commercials and pausing ... and resuming the recording.

So I have some tape noise during the recording process. I wasn't using S-VHS video tapes. Just normal RCA brand from Wal-Mart.

Super-VHS does make a difference ... but it is expensive.

So ... does any of the newer DVD Recorders have noise reduction built in to clean up the video when dubbing from VCRs ????

Thanks Guys ... for whoever has any answers.

Search Comp PM
    LSI chips sure do, and the JVC DVD recorders are the best ones using them

3. TOSHIBA -D-R2

Noise Reduction: You can activate any of the following noise reduction functions:

3D-DNR: reduces the noise levels of brightness signals and color signals during playback

Mosquito NR: reduces flicker in the contoured sections of an image

Block NR: reduces noise that appears in the form of blocks during rapid movement in a scene

Custom Picture Settings: You can make fine picture quality adjustments and store them in up to 3 custom memory settings. The adjustments include:

Edge Enhance: Adjust between (Off) Soft and (On) Sharp

Brightness: Adjust from (0) Darker to (7) Brighter

Contrast: Adjust from (-7) Lower to (0) Higher

Color: Adjust from (-7) Duller to (0) Brighter

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videobuyr
    TOSHIBA -D-R2

Noise Reduction: You can activate any of the following noise reduction functions:

3D-DNR: reduces the noise levels of brightness signals and color signals during playback

Mosquito NR: reduces flicker in the contoured sections of an image

Block NR: reduces noise that appears in the form of blocks during rapid movement in a scene

Custom Picture Settings: You can make fine picture quality adjustments and store them in up to 3 custom memory settings. The adjustments include:

Edge Enhance: Adjust between (Off) Soft and (On) Sharp

Brightness: Adjust from (0) Darker to (7) Brighter

Contrast: Adjust from (-7) Lower to (0) Higher

Color: Adjust from (-7) Duller to (0) Brighter
    Thats all fine and dandy but I'm talking about during the recording process.

I want to know if any of the newer DVD Recorders can provide a noise reduction process while copying video from VHS tape.

In this case it is from my BattleStar Galactica [Sci-Fi Channel Mini Series] Super VHS tapes.

They have video noise and I would like to clean up the signal. Before I record them to DVD-RAM ... and process them on my computer to DVD video vob files.

My ComCast cable system in my area doesn't provide a decent signal for the Sci-Fi channel neither ... definitely room for improvement.

5. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I won't try to convince you that the only decent DVD Recorder is a JVC. I don't agree that it is. My opinion is definitely a minority opinion if you count the Panasonic flaming that you'll see here in the DVD Recorder forum.

But I have a Panny E50 and I think it does an excellent job for everything I have asked of it. Its built-in macro block filter is the best I've ever seen.

I have captured over 2,300 VHS movies over the last 2 years, about 2,000 with a PC capture setup and the rest with the E50. That's more than 99% of the users on this forum and, coincidentally, the reason for my user name. I am not a newbie by a longshot. Just something to consider when you see 3 or so similar posts here by "experts" hailing the virtues of the JVC, and everything else being crap that only a newbie idiot would buy. Don't believe it

You never know - they may have JVC stock, or a brother who works for JVC and gets them free hardware. Heck, when someone writes so many accolades about a particular brand, they may even be a company shill - someone who is paid by the company to join forums like this and heap praise on it I was a member of a video forum 2 years ago that had a resident shill who was compensated by ADS. His job was singing praises for the ADS USB Instant DVD capture box. Everything he said was BS.

I'm not saying that's the case here, and in fact, it's unlikely given the honesty of the majority of the older regulars here ..... but lurk here for a while and draw your own conclusions It may be just a case of human nature - we tend to justify our own purchases by glorifying the hardware in our own minds - perhaps to subconsciously feel better to ourselves about our choice. An owner will be the first to argue why theirs is the best.

In fact, I know I'll get flamed for this comment by JVC owners, but sticks and stones ... JVC (short for Japan Victor Corp.) has traditionally been known for low-cost, low-quality products. Their quality has consistently been similar to Emerson - another high-volume low quality manufacturer. Their radios and stereo gear were among the shoddiest on the market. It was stuff you'd see at K-Mart and Montgomery Wards, designed for the unenlightened mainstream.

On the other hand, Canopus - one of the most respected names in video capture gear, uses a superb LSI chip in many of their models. The LSI chip is the brains of the entire machine. The canopus chip, by the way, was designed and built by Panasonic

Just ...consider the source and don't believe everything you read here. That's all

Now, back to your original question - yes, the Panny E50 has a very nice noise filter that removes almost all of the tape noise when dubbing from a VCR, but it doesn't over-soften to the point that you lose detail. Many brands and models also have nice input filtering - not just the Panasonic

6. No flaming from me, Mr. President!

I own both the Panasonic E50 and the JVC DR-M10SL. I like my Panny. It makes a nice recording. Especially at 2 hrs and below. No problem.

I'm pretty certain the noise reduction occurs only the playback side of things for Panasonic, though. There is a line TBC and some image enhancement filtering on the input side, but they only claim to have noise reduction filtering during playback.

The JVC applies a line TBC, image enhancement and some mild video noise reduction prior to recording, plus has MPEG noise reduction during playback. If you take a Panasonic recording and a JVC recording of the identical source, play them back on a regular DVD player (that has no playback noise reduction) the JVC recording has less video noise. It's a significant difference, too. IMHO, YMMV, BTW, RTFM, etc. :P

I would like to state for the record that I am not, nor have I ever been, a shill for JVC. If the JVC turns out to be a POS, then I will gladly rebuke the JVC demon back to the depths of h-e-double-hockey-sticks where it may dwell in the eternal fires, forever and ever.

7. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    gshelley61,
    Please don't take my comments as an accusation that anyone here at videohelp is a shill. I just get suspicious when someone goes on and on about one particular brand, which, by itself, is not suspect. But when they start flaming another, perfectly good brand, attempting to make their favorite sound better ...that gets my neck hairs up. I'm not referring to you. I'm referring to others here.

I have seen this forum become a JVC group grope over the last few months and I had to chime in at some point. Tonight was the time. The Panasonic has been unfairly bashed here. Cripes - you'd think the brand was "Bush" the way it's been bad-mouthed in this forum lately Surprising, since last February everyone praised the Panny, it seemed. Did the Panny all of a sudden become a piece of crap? No. The fanaticism about someone's new toy is fine ...just don't say it's the only good one, and everything else is crap. I've heard that exact argument made here many times by the same person, almost verbatim. And I believe it's a biased and unprofessional statement to make.

Peace brother Rest assured the point I was trying to make is for her to weigh everything she reads here with other sources too and, most importantly, make up her own mind by sampling output from all the brands she might be considering.

Search Comp PM
    Well between the new Pioneer DVD recorders and the JVC DR-M10SL ... I am tempted to try the JVC DR-M10SL

I believe The GoodGuys in Fresno carry it and I do believe they will let me return it if I am not satisfied.

Since I have two Panasonic DMR E50S units ... one in bedroom and other in living room ... I really don't have a spot for another unit but if the JVC DR-M10SL ... can make a noticeable difference ... cool cool.

I like the Flex Record option on my Panasonic ... the option on the Pioneer is kind of wierd. The idea of recording an extra 10 minutes for the heck of it is not that great.

I usually set the Flex Record timer recording for 2 minutes before and 2 minutes after ... but to lock into a 10 minute window ... naw .... !!!

9. BTW, Capmaster - speaking of insane idiots posting bizarre and insulting comments... did you happen to see the wild posts made on a few of the JVC recorder threads by that nysoftwhere dumbass? CLASSIC!

10. Hey Smurfette,and QSmelly

Did you losers really think that you would be rid of me that easily ?

Now, I will hunt and track down all you losers!

Be seeing ya'll real soon!

Blah Blah Blah... Banned.

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning.
    / Moderator pacmania_2001