VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am having this strange problem, this happened after I updated the firmware on my sony DRU500A to 2.1. I also changed the cables so I could burn at X4. Now it only reads the DVD -R but not the original discs. That is right it can not read the original discs only copied discs and it read at X4 not X2 (As I thought it was locked at X2).

Does anybody know what is going on here? It is giving me a headache.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I figure it out that it is something to do with the region setting. It does not play DVDs with region settings. I tried playing original dvds with no region setting, it played fine.

I looked under the dive's properties it is showing region 4 which is correct for Australia. Why it would not play region 4 discs then?

I don't want to change the settings from region 4 to region 4.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I am wondering if there is some sort of virus, which changed my region coding. Because I tried region 2 disc, it played fine. But I can not play region 4 discs. Seems like 4 changes are already done by the virus or something else. I have never changed settings. Nobody else touches my computer.

Other possibility is that I did a lot of firmware updates starting from 1.0e to 2.1a. Maybe that altered the region setting?

DVDInfo and windows show 4 changes to go. I did reformat my computer trying to rectify the problem.

Any comments will be welcomed.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Use the old firmware again. Thats what I do.
    Quote Quote  
  5. How is that going to fix my region problem?

Why this is happening?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Try switching to a different region (like Region 1), reboot, and switch back to Region 4 using the Windows utility. See what happens. If it continues to fail, get a dedicated DVDROM drive. Fast Lite-Ons go for less than $30 shipped in the US now... shouldn't be more than $60AUS locally I would bet.

Best of Luck,
    -Evan-
    Quote Quote  
  7. I did. It did not work. I am about to throw this one out of this planet
    Quote Quote