VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Pioneer 106 burner (1 year now), and just recently I noticed some of my dvd-r's that I backed up have a mild light coloured ring around them.

I've read one post that a guy had the exact same burner, and the same problem, coincedence?

I am using Verbatim 4x -r. The code is MCC.
    I have not yet ran a scan check on them because it's only happened to a few. The only assumption I have is that some discs are bad, but here's my question. If there is a light ring in the middle, should the dvd (backed up movie) still play properly?

I just watched one of my movies, and it played normal. I didn't notice anything wrong with it at all, it was smooth. No glitches, nothing.

Will these backed up dvd-r's that I am using go bad eventually because this 'ring' is an indication of a bad disc?

Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I experienced the same problem with MAXELL DVD-R 4x speed, FUJI DVD-R 4x speed, DVD+R RICOH's discs & RITEK G04's when I used my Plextor 708A drive, Liteon 411s@811s & my newly recent purchase of a Pioneer 107D. I had contacted Plextor Tech support shortly after purchasing the drive and was told that there wasn't anything wrong with that. The speed increases the dye of the DVD disc to have a different color. All the discs playback fine.

I know there are others that will disagree with me but as I've stated the discs playback fine and it didn't occur on cheapo dvd media as you can see above. I don't get a ring on every dvd I burn just sometimes. Go figure huh!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the post.

That's exactly what I think; however, lordsmurf's article states that it would be considered bad media.

You said 'The speed increases the dye of the DVD disc to have a different color'. I wonder if I were to burn at 2x (oppose to 4x), if it were to make any difference. I guess I'll have to find out for myself!

I just have a hard time believing that I paid $20/3 pack (prices have dropped now) a few months ago, and now some would argue they are defective. People would say 'you get what you pay for', but in this instance, this is not the case

Any others have similar results/problems?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have this problem with my Opto-rite DD0405, It was doing it on all my media... RITEK, Memorex etc etc. And I had playback problems on my SOny NS725.

I immed. RMA'D the OPTO-RITE and Went out and hunted down a LDW-411s, no problem since then.

I attributed it to bad DVD writer.
    "You Don't Look Portugese!" - Raoul Duke
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's just a tell-tale sign. Most of the time it's bad, but not always. I have a few that are fine. But normally, it's not a good sign.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. the Ridisc dvd-rs in my latest purchase,were ringing after most burns,on a pioneer 106.107,so back they went,and were exchanged for a tub of white Ritek printables,and not had rings on any of them yet,after about 35/100 burns,
    does the processs of hijacking media codes as fakes still go on,it may be that they arent MCC after all.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I too have the same problem with my Pionner DVR105. It's like there're a mid ring in the burnt data. Ritek media doesn't have many, just couples, but Prodisc has a lot. I wonder if this is the burner's proble or media. I mean, they played back fine though.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I getting the same problem on one of my memorex x1 dual format drivers...( a pioneer 106). Sometimes the dvd will work if the pattern is not too bad.

The ring is in the middle of the dvd...just like everyone says...

I thinks my burner is going bad for sure....anyone have any fixes...

could the dvd head be dirty...or change nero drivers for burning???

Helpppppppppppppppppppppp...
    Quote Quote  
  9. only_emo_kid
    check out my topic here.. I have some scanned images of dvds burned by a buddy that had the ring.. hmmmm

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=259414&highlight=

check it there...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I read on another thread that that might be due to Pioneer's ZCLV write strategy. It's "changing gears".

-or-

it could be bad media.
    That's easy to tell. Buy a pack of high quality stuff and test.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. As I think someone else already said, that just an area where the speed changed.
    Nothing to really be concerned about.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.pdf

Look at the images on the bottom of page 6.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's as dmagic1 has said. It has nothing to do with what smurfs page says. I remember posting the same question when I began burning dvds. The ring is from the dye changing color because of the burn speed. I've had rings on good quality dvd media like TAIYO YUDEN, MXLRG02, & RICOH media.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    It has nothing to do with what smurfs page says.
    You obviously didn't read the page. It includes info on both speed changes, as well as dye errors. It's very thorough.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Originally Posted by budz
    It has nothing to do with what smurfs page says.
    You obviously didn't read the page. It includes info on both speed changes, as well as dye errors. It's very thorough.
    hmmmmms i do recall you telling me long ago that it had nothing to do with the speed changes.....you must have updated your site which is why i made that comment.....when i posted here that the plextor tech support told me the rings were from the change in speed you told me it wasn't and you wouldn't believe a plextor tech support.......therefore that is my explanation of why i said, "It has nothing to do with smurfs page".....and no i don't follow or believe most of what you have posted on your site.....
    Quote Quote  
  16. I have two exact burners...one started to make the ring pattern....the other does not.

Using another brand dvd on the same machine...no ring.

I have come to the conclusion that its the drive.

If I burn slower (at 2x) that seems to correct the problem...but I just assume to be same and use the new drive.

Sure the dvd works.....sometimes. If the ring is really bad....then I am out of luck.

Using the same batch of DVD....the drive with the ring problem produces rings. Other drives do not. Its not the media...its the drive.
    Quote Quote