VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Thread
  1. ddlooping
    For DVD Shrink guides & goodies: DVDShrink.info
    My "other" site: Teaching-Tools
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    That would be GUNNERY SERGEANT R. LEE ERMEY, to you... MAGGOT!
    Quote Quote  
  3. I don't know, but I've been told...
    If God had intended us not to masturbate he would've made our arms shorter.
    George Carlin
    Quote Quote  
  4. ...DVD Shrink is as good as gold!
    George Carlin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BULLS**T!!! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  6. HO CHI MINH IS A SON-OF-BITCH!

GOT THE BLUEBALLS, CRABS, AND THE SEVEN-YEAR-ITCH!
    George Carlin
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Gurm
    That would be GUNNERY SERGEANT R. LEE ERMEY, to you... MAGGOT!
    Rabid maggot.
    ddlooping
    For DVD Shrink guides & goodies: DVDShrink.info
    My "other" site: Teaching-Tools
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't believe that nobody has pointed out the obvious mistake in Gurm's well put together fact list. The extra's can be removed by simply re-authoring the disc. That let's you pick and choose what gets put onto the copy. 8)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    lol, this is an old issue Thunder and it does not remove the extras as you are creating as in authoring a DVD therefore you are adding content to nothing you have at the minute and not removing content

simply put, you start off with an empty project which you then add content too

you mention you can remove the extras but why do people forget to mention you also lose functional menus if you reauthor? There's a difference between removing extras and removing extras and menus . I know there are methods in which you can rebuild etc with menu's but we are talking basic stuff here within the DVDShrink program

after this thread was posted, the new version of DVDShrink can now replace the extras with a still image so it changes things slightly but not in the reauthoring mode
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    DVDShrink 3.2 is, in fact, possessed of MORE CREAMY GOODNESS than ever before found outside of Twinkies. It can, in fact, "remove" extras without reauthoring. It can also automate burning with DVD Decrypter.

The other myths, however, stand.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It still does not REMOVE extras. It merely shrinks the size that they would normally take, substituting a still pic. To truly remove parts ( Disney ), you need something like DVDRemake.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It doesn't actually delete extras,but it has a new option to substitute a DVD Shrink logo screen for the video. It says that will still use 81MB.
    CloneDVD will delete the extra and insert an 8KB file,still much better option than DVD Shrink.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    to be technical, nothing actually removes the extras as they all just replace the original with a blank video . DVDRemake also replaces anything that is removed and does not remove them. If you want to be non-technical then DVDShrink does now remove the extras if you want as it's getting rid of 100% of the original content and replacing it with longer blanks to keep the original structure

it's removed but it's been replaced

so it's pointless saying this and that doesn't or doesn't remove extras as none of them truely do apart from one as they replace them. InstantCopy is the only one I have seen recently that removes them completely and destroys the original structure by doing so

DVDRemkae does actually completely remove video content but only if it is not referenced in the IFO's anywhere

if you use the correct blank in DVDShrink then it will use 30mb per 1GB that you replace which is not a lot of space and it's far better than CloneDVD in most areas of it's features

the only disadvantage with DVDShrink is that the play time is still the same so removing logos etc requires you to press skip unless you want to look at a blank screen for 8-10 seconds or whatever it can be sometimes

if you are clever enough or can be bothered, you can do a little hack I've been trying and get rid of this. I've contacted DVDShrink about implementing it into Shrink. I'm hoping it would be real easy but as of yet no reply which is very disappointing even if it was just a brush off a reply would have been nice (ddlooping where are you as maybe you can mention it? )

if not I'm sure some computer whizz can knock up a simple program with me that does it for you if people are interested. If not maybe I can do a dummies guide for all the 'freebieware' users out there
    Quote Quote  
  14. DVD Shrink just took my garbage out & cleaned my garage.
    George Carlin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MackemX,

I believe I read on another site that ddlooping aka Mr. Shrink, will be away for the next two weeks.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    lol louv68 , ddlooping is not aka DVDShrink if you are not joking though some do think it . Maybe he is but I remembered about ddlooping being on holiday as it was mentioned in a 'warm' thread I posted in over there. I don't think he's back yet but I know someone read the PM I sent to DVDShrink though. I was a bit disappointed at a non reply even if it was a 'go away and stop wasting my time' but maybe he's real busy so I'll just wait in hope I suppose and maybe ddlooping can help when he gets back

@Shocker Milwaukee, I don't really care for backing up DVD's but where's those options as I'm looking for exactly the same features along with washing the car and taking the dog for a walk
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by MackemX
    to be technical, nothing actually removes the extras as they all just replace the original with a blank video . DVDRemake also replaces anything that is removed and does not remove them.
    Yes, DvdReMake replaces with a short blank to reduce the size and to keep valid dvd structure. But in addition to this it also automaticaly changes dvd navigation so that hidden things are not get played.
    the only disadvantage with DVDShrink is that the play time is still the same so removing logos etc requires you to press skip unless you want to look at a blank screen for 8-10 seconds or whatever it can be sometimes
    So this does not happen with DvdReMake (Pro).
    http://www.dimadsoft.com - home of DvdReMake and MenuEdit tools
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think DVD Shrink would be an even better tool when:

1) It rips as fast as DVD Decrypter

I've encountered a few movies DVD Shrink won't rip. DVD Decrypter seems to take care of those.

Of course, has anyone encountered a movie that DVD Decrypter could not handle but DVD Shrink could?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
    Of course, has anyone encountered a movie that DVD Decrypter could not handle but DVD Shrink could?
    Some of my Homemade videos using Philips DVDR75 recorder (record, edit, replace thumbnail frames etc.) cannot be ripped (or imported) by using by either. However, with MackemX's tips (earlier threads) of copying directly to HDD with Windows file explorer, I am now able to make copies of my own movies with file copy and NERO.

Thanks, MackemX.
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes Mack, I did mean in the re-authoring process as this is the usual method I use when copying a movie, excuse me, backing up. Depending on how you think of it, yes, it's either removing or "creating" as you put it, and I see your point, as you pick and choose what the new disc will contain from the original. But why would you want to keep menu's? They're annoying and waste precious disc space, especially if they're really crazy like ID4 or The Abyss. Isn't it nicer (yes, I know, grammer) to just throw the disc in, and start the movie right away, then waiting through 40-50 seconds of menu's? We all know what a pain the ass "Memento CE" was to navigate. :P
    Quote Quote  
  21. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    @Thunder, menus or no menus, that is the age old question and it was in no menu's favour a few months back but I'm not so sure now with all these blanking tools

no probs Sam Ontario

@DVD Polizei, it just depends on the circumstances such as the reader, the disc, the condition etc as I've used a combo of 3 readers and 3 rippers to rip a problem disc before as 1 reader and ripper just would not do it. I wouldn't say one is better than the other but rather just use what works at the time
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I _like_ the menus. If I'm impatient, I hit "1" on my DVD remote to start the movie without watching them. But how am I going to pick what scene I want from the cool animated menu without the menus BEING THERE?

- Gurm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    [quote]DVD Polizei- think DVD Shrink would be an even better tool when:

1) It rips as fast as DVD Decrypter [quote]

Actually, it only rips like decrypter if its a dvd5 (ie 4.7gb or less). If its a dual layer than its TRANSCODING as it rips. So of course it will be slower. Dvd Decrypter is great for taking everything bit for bit from the disc. It won't SHRINK it. That's the whole point of dvd shrink.
    Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Actually, it only rips like decrypter if its a dvd5 (ie 4.7gb or less).
    If it's 4.7GB or less, why use Shrink at all?
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    Hi STALKER!

jimmalenko-If it's 4.7GB or less, why use Shrink at all?
    Well some people like using the same program all the time. Actually I was making the point that shrink transcodes AND rips when it's a dual layer disc. If its a single layer then it acts like dvd decypter - ie straight rip.

I have used dvd shrink for single layer discs just because. No reason in particular. Some people like the interface better than other programs.
    Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Hello,
    Hi STALKER!

jimmalenko-If it's 4.7GB or less, why use Shrink at all?
    Well some people like using the same program all the time. Actually I was making the point that shrink transcodes AND rips when it's a dual layer disc. If its a single layer then it acts like dvd decypter - ie straight rip.

I have used dvd shrink for single layer discs just because. No reason in particular. Some people like the interface better than other programs.
    Kevin

I wasn't specifically aiming at you, just wanted to let the masses know that it is not essential to use DVDShrink on DVD-5s. I understand the point you were making

I prefer DVD Decrypter ISO Read/ISO Write for DVD-5s.

For anyone that is interested:

ISO Read guide here
    ISO Write guide here
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This is one of the things I have a problem with.

If it works for you, great - but I'm a big fan of "the right tool for the right job".

- Gurm
    Quote Quote  
  28. The only one that integrates with Shrink is Nero
    Hmmm...I've used DVD Decrypter to burn with shrink, both that and DVD Shrink is all you really need. Maybe not the best Ripper but the transcoder is tops! some may be considered better but it really is relative to the original source.

It is a pretty amazing piece of software...I just backed up Return of the King with 3.2 and it looks amazing. It is free and it does most everything as good if not better than comparable apps.

Don't be a hater Gurm.
    Look, let me explain something. I'm not Mr. Lebowski; you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or Duder. His Dudeness. Or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing--
    Quote Quote  
  29. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CaseyComb
    Don't be a hater Gurm.
    I don't think he hates DVDShrink but rather the people who think DVDShrink is the number 1 tool to do anything at all to do with DVD's regardless of what it is just because it's 'free'

a few things have changed since the latest release of DVDShrink so it's a little outdated now
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I even use DVD shrink in Linux with crossover office. I found it to be fasterin Linux than in XP on the same machine (Dual Boot). I've tried a lot of others and all I've tried wont work with wine or crossover as good as this does.
    Quote Quote