VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    racer-x,

I'm sorry to say, but if you can't tell the difference between a CCE re-encode of ROTK and a DVD Shrink transcode of it... then you are BLIND. The macroblocking alone would be enough to send most epileptics to an early grave.

- Gurm
    Quote Quote  
  2. personally,ive never felt the urge to keep any menus,or extras on a dvd-r.
    always just used dvd decrypter(never had a film it cant rip),dvd2one,and then copytodvd.
    not had a coaster,or a problem,even with certain titles that had the FBI stuff on them,and some with inbuilt trailers too.
    tried shrink,didnt like it.
    especially with the poor performance i got with LOTR movies.
    but found that dvd2one was better overall(especially after testing out there new compression techniques,which arent much cop).

i do wonder though sometimes,if Gurm is on medication,coz if you are,can i get some...rofl
    Quote Quote  
  3. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    apart from working on the fly (though you may be able to use DVD43), what does DVDShrink have that Recode doesn't and vice versa?

I'd probably prefer Recode just for the removal feature alone as it will give more space to what I would keep in a 1:1 . Movie only would really only boil down to the quality comparision for me I guess

Does Nero recode audio also or is that extra $ or not possible at all? I'm not quite up to date on the differences these days
    Quote Quote  
  4. DVD Shrink tucked me in last night & made breakfast in bed for me this morning.
    If God had intended us not to masturbate he would've made our arms shorter.
    George Carlin
    Quote Quote  
  5. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Shocker Milwaukee
    How do you like them apples?
    I wish someone would make a hybrid of an apple with orange skin as I enjoy peeling oranges but love the taste of apples

but what about the strawberries?, I love the smell of strawberries
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I once had an apple that tasted like a vagina, but I bit the wrong end and it tasted like shit
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What's worse than biting into an apple and finding a worm?

Biting into an apple and finding HALF a worm.

Badump-bah!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Shrink is a good application, that allows you to do those things we all know and talk about cheaper than all the other alternatives.

Personally, I prefer dvd2one...

Comparing Trasncoders to encoders is like compare apples vs pizzas...

There are things, that manage to gain followers. Applications can do this too. And followers produce myths.
    It is simply the human nature.

BTW MackemX, what is exactly your problem with DVD Shrink? Because the myths of DVD Shrink, is not DVD Shrink's fault. It is the fault of it's users. From what I know, DVD Shrink's developer didn't lead his supporters to those myths....

Or you just piss off when you read DVD Shrink users praising it?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MackemX
    Originally Posted by Sam Ontario
    I always recommend DVD shrink to my newbie friends (most of them will be able to use them without asking me any questions) and if they have trouble ripping, then DVD decrypter which I need to explain how they could use it!
    I don't want to be argumentive but I do find it hard to believe they ask how to rip with DVDDecrypter, as you did mention if they have problems ripping with DVDShrink they use DVDDecrypter

in my ancient guide HERE it shows how to select all files but there is an option to Select all files automatically, so let's look at the process if it is set to all files

start DVDDecrypter
    tell it which Drive you want, normally automatic after you do it once
    press the green button if you are happy ripping it to the HD with the greatest space

is it honestly really that hard to do? as I cannot really see what would need to explained if they can use DVDShrink

on most occasions it's only 2 clicks, 1 to open DVDDecrypter and 1 to start the rip if you are not bothered about where it goes. If people want to be really clever then create a simple .bat file that starts DVDDecrypter and rips instantly making it a 'one click' DVD ripper

if anyone is interested in being real lazy or does not know how to use DVDDecrypter when ripping a DVD then you could use this line in notepad and save it as DVDDecrypter.bat

C:\PROGRA~1\DVDDECRYPTER.EXE /MODE FILES /FILES ALL /OVERWRITE YES /START
    this assumes you have DVDDecrypter.exe in C:\Program files and you just want to use the drive listed in DVDDecrypter when you start it and rip to the drive with the largest space

C:\PROGRA~1\DVDDECRYPTER.EXE /MODE FILES /FILES ALL /SRC D: /DEST "C:\RIP" /OVERWRITE YES /START
    this will rip the DVD from your stated DVD-ROM (D:, change to the same drive letter as your DVD-ROM) to your stated destination (C:\RIP, change to your default destination folder) overwriting any files (folder should be empty anyway )
    Very informative and good suggestions.

You miss the point that I agree that ripping is just as easy but for my newbie friends, 100% of them do not know how to burn with DVD decrypter. Of course, if they know your guide, they would not have asked me. They are, like me, general consumers, not experts.
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Even if Shrink was $10 more than all the rest of them, I'd probably still buy SHRINK.
    DVD Shrink V3B5 combines 2 or more movies easily by non-experts like me. I wonder what else could be as that easy and good quality.
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Sam Ontario
    DVD Shrink V3B5 combines 2 or more movies easily by non-experts like me. I wonder what else could be as that easy and good quality.
    i would seriously hate to see the quality of terminator 1 and 2 on the one dvd-r,no matter what the programme was,that did it,if thats the kind of thing you mean.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sam Ontario
    I always recommend DVD shrink to my newbie friends (most of them will be able to use them without asking me any questions) and if they have trouble ripping, then DVD decrypter which I need to explain how they could use it!
    it's the ripping part what threw me but I know what you mean about burning being a little more difficult with DVDDecrypter but that depends on whatever spftware used

if it's a problematic rip then they could switch back to DVDShrink or whatever software they would use to burn the files (such as Nero) and not need to burn with DVDDecrypter though I'm sure this can be automated also

I've used a combo of 3 or 4 rippers to rip one problematic scratched DVD and I've seen posts where user have nneded a combo of at least 2 rippers
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @RottenFox,
    No, I meant mostly my home made videos. They were taped at different ocassions and recorded on different DVD discs. There are also short cartoons that I combined them together to fit one disc. I hate any deteroriation by shrinking unless its a D9, no choice. I don't like 2 discs from one D9.
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @MackemX,
    My expression problem. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Myth #9: DVD Shrink is an all-in-one program.
    Nope. You need Nero in order to burn. And sometimes you need DVD Decrypter to rip, if Shrink's ripping engine can't hack a particular movie.
    I'm puzzled now. I thought I was burning with DVD Decrypter when I use Shrink, apparently I'm wrong. Can anyone put me straight?
    "Whenever I need to "get away,'' I just get away in my mind. I go to my imaginary spot, where the beach is perfect and the water is perfect and the weather is perfect. The only bad thing there are the flies. They're terrible!" Jack Handey
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tweedledee
    Myth #9: DVD Shrink is an all-in-one program.
    Nope. You need Nero in order to burn. And sometimes you need DVD Decrypter to rip, if Shrink's ripping engine can't hack a particular movie.
    I'm puzzled now. I thought I was burning with DVD Decrypter when I use Shrink, apparently I'm wrong. Can anyone put me straight?
    Correct me if I am wrong, latest version DVD shrink embedded former version of DVD decrypter. So you can burn with DVD decrypter. If someone has also installed NERO, DVD shrink will automatically default to NERO.
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Myth #2: DVD Shrink is "free".
    Not if you consider 'total cost of ownership'. You WILL sometimes need another ripper. That could be free (DVD Decrypter) or it could cost you money. Then you NEED a burning program. None of those are free, or very few. The only one that integrates with Shrink is Nero, and while that might have come with your drive, that can hardly be considered to be "free". Maybe it's better to say that for some people DVD Shrink has a low additional cost incurred.

i use shrink a lot and stand by it. however i do agree with your points here but NOT the one above. who really gives a flying fu*& if OTHER programs cost money or not. the BOTTOM line is that shrink IS in fact FREE full fu*&en stop!!!!! but since you feel the need to bring other tools into it to make it LOOK as if shrink is not free then how about this! i rip with dvd decrypter FREE i shrink with dvd shrink FREE i burn with dvddecrypter FREE !

but at the end of the day dvd shrink itself is in fact FREE! sorry but it had to be said.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gurm
    Myth #2: DVD Shrink is the only program that "gets rid of" the sticky FBI warning screens and previews you have to watch.
    Actually, it will even get rid of the FBI (DVDShrink 4.0 Patriot Act Version)

what is DVDShrink 4.0 Patriot Act Version

never herd of it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    That's what is referred to as "sarcasm".

As for "bringing other programs into it", I reiterate...

DVD SHRINK HAS NO INBUILT BURNING CAPABILITIES. If it uses DVD Decrypter or Nero to burn, that is irrelevant. The program, as downloaded and installed on an otherwise blank system, CANNOT BURN DISCS.

- Gurm
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am a general consumer. My recommendation of DVD shrink or DVD decrypter might have hurt somebody's interest or living based on their selling of software copies. My apology here.

But as a general consumer, I will continue recommending general consumers, good and free software.

My salute to authors such as DVD shrink and DVD Decrypter for their continual efforts and hard works in improving the free software.
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gurm
    That's what is referred to as "sarcasm".

As for "bringing other programs into it", I reiterate...

DVD SHRINK HAS NO INBUILT BURNING CAPABILITIES. If it uses DVD Decrypter or Nero to burn, that is irrelevant. The program, as downloaded and installed on an otherwise blank system, CANNOT BURN DISCS.

- Gurm
    thats fine. but it IS still a FREE program!
    as i said i agree with all your OTHER points
    Quote Quote  
  22. If someone has also installed NERO, DVD shrink will automatically default to NERO.
    DVD Shrink does not default to anything.
    It's up to the user to choose whether he/she wants to save as DVD-Video folders, to save as an ISO image (and optionally burn with DVD Decrypter), or to burn with Nero.
    ddlooping
    For DVD Shrink guides & goodies: DVDShrink.info
    My "other" site: Teaching-Tools
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Gurm wrote:
    racer-x,

I'm sorry to say, but if you can't tell the difference between a CCE re-encode of ROTK and a DVD Shrink transcode of it... then you are BLIND. The macroblocking alone would be enough to send most epileptics to an early grave.
    I don't know what you're doing, but the DVDShrink transcode of ROTK I did has zero macroblocks, as does the re-encoded version I did w/MC. And by the way, my eyesight is better than 20/20.

Maybe you should stop drinking that water out of the Charles River?
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ddlooping
    ...... DVD Shrink does not default to anything.
    It's up to the user to choose whether he/she wants to save as DVD-Video folders, to save as an ISO image (and optionally burn with DVD Decrypter), or to burn with Nero.
    Thanks for clarifying.
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
  25. No problem.
    ddlooping
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x
    Gurm wrote:
    racer-x,

I don't know what you're doing, but the DVDShrink transcode of ROTK I did has zero macroblocks, as does the re-encoded version I did w/MC. And by the way, my eyesight is better than 20/20.

Maybe you should stop drinking that water out of the Charles River?
    I have the LOTR ROTK but not yet DVD shrinked. Something like 2 hours 50 minutes, I will probably shrink it maybe next weekend see if Macroblocks exist.
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
  27. ???????????????????????????????????
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I love DVD Shrink! I use it all the time. After reading this post about how great CloneDVD2 is I decided to get it. CloneDVD2 won't even read a CSS encrypted DVD! If I have to rip first with Decrypter THEN use CloneDVD2 that's two programs. That sucks. You claimed CloneDVD is just as good a ripper as DVD Shrink - I disagree because it won't even copy a protected DVD. CloneDVD is not even a good ripper. I use Shrink to bypass CSS all the time without problems and I don't have to rip the DVD to my hard drive first to do it.

As far as burning goes - (your Myth #2) the last time I checked DVDDecrypter (free) can burn the images you create with DVDShrink (free) so Shrink + burning program do in fact = free.

'Nuff said.
    dj matty b
    Quote Quote  
  29. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by djmattyb
    I love DVD Shrink! I use it all the time. After reading this post about how great CloneDVD2 is I decided to get it. CloneDVD2 won't even read a CSS encrypted DVD!
    Stop. You ARE aware that CloneDVD2 is DESIGNED to be used in conjunction with AnyDVD, right? For legal reasons?

Let me spell it out for you.

Olli is the guy behind "Elaborate Bytes" - the makers of CloneDVD. He lives in Germany. German laws make the DMCA look like the "no running in the halls" rules in grammar school. So he started another company in Switzerland called "SlySoft" - they make AnyDVD.

AnyDVD is the ripping component of CloneDVD. It rips in realtime, no need to do a separate ripping phase at all. And it works with any other program.

If I have to rip first with Decrypter THEN use CloneDVD2 that's two programs. That sucks.
    If you say so.

You claimed CloneDVD is just as good a ripper as DVD Shrink - I disagree because it won't even copy a protected DVD. CloneDVD is not even a good ripper. I use Shrink to bypass CSS all the time without problems and I don't have to rip the DVD to my hard drive first to do it.
    I never said CloneDVD was a good ripper. It isn't a ripper at all. AnyDVD is the ripper. CloneDVD is the transcoder/reauthorer. Please, don't misquote me.

As far as burning goes - (your Myth #2) the last time I checked DVDDecrypter (free) can burn the images you create with DVDShrink (free) so Shrink + burning program do in fact = free.
    Ahh yes, but then you aren't burning WITH DVD SHRINK, are you? The only program that you can BURN FROM DVD SHRINK with is Nero. And Nero isn't free.

- Gurm
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by Gurm
    Ahh yes, but then you aren't burning WITH DVD SHRINK, are you? The only program that you can BURN FROM DVD SHRINK with is Nero. And Nero isn't free.
    - Gurm
    Nitpicking. :P

DVD Shrink + DVD Decrypter >> 'total cost of ownership' = $0.00
    ddlooping
    Quote Quote