VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Buy a good LG ROM drive for about $40 that can read RW at a fast speed 6x or more, and RAM at 2x.
    Yeah, I gave up on both my A07 and 822 for anything other than burning.

I'm stuck with my A07 for reading RAM but then I've pretty much given up on RAM as well.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by ejai
    I'm planning to get the LG Electronics GSA4120BB DVD±RW Writer .
    Anxious to try one of those $20 DVD+R DL disks as well, huh?

Seems like a nice drive, regardless!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by kabanero
    Originally Posted by ejai
    I even tried DVD Decrypter again last night using the file setting and it took a little over 25 mintes to do so. I am using a A06 burner to extract the files, I wonder if that is the isssue.
    ejai,

I think that your A06 is the problem. I remember there were some threads on this forum last year that Pioneer locked A06 ripping speed to 2x.
    I own 2 Pioneers(A06/A07 hacked FW) and a LiteOn 451S, all 3 of them rip my DVD-RWs at 3-6x speeds some older DVD-R are slower 2-4x, while SL originals will go up 10x.

Main problems with speed are not drive related but with your IDE controllers, Intel chipset based MB are well supported by both Microsoft & Intel as far as drivers optimization. The rest of the chipsets(SiS, PC-Chips, VIA) are basically crap when it comes to IDE interface and drivers support.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The past 96 hours have been almost solid use by the JVC ... and it's operating as perfectly as it did the first 10 minutes.

Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have a couple of questions regarding recording times & PQ.

Is there a bitrate/quality difference between 2 hrs & 2 hrs FR?

Also, is it better to feed the M10S via Firewire or SVHS/composite for picture quality? I ask because my VCR has both outputs (JVC combo DV/SVHS deck).

TIA
    Quote Quote  
  6. There is no difference between 2 hr SP and 2 hr FR. There is a difference in recording quality between 2 hr SP and 1 hr 50 min FR (FR would be slightly better) or 2 hr 10 min FR (SP would be slightly better), etc., etc.

I mostly use the composite or S-Video inputs because I often will do a bit of color/contrast/brightness correction with a video processor prior to recording. I can't do that with the DV input... the DV input does work great, though. Use whichever gives you the best results.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gshelley61
    I often will do a bit of color/contrast/brightness correction with a video processor prior to recording. I can't do that with the DV input... the DV input does work great, though. Use whichever gives you the best results.
    Which video processor do you use?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have that cheesy Sima SCC Pro right now... but am awaiting the arrival of a pre-owned Elite Video BVP-4 Plus (I got a great bargain on it). This is supposed to be one of the better prosumer video processors ever made, but we shall see... I'll be doing some testing with it as soon as it shows up (today, maybe).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe someone here can help me out...

I bought the JVC DR-M10SL last Wednesday. Along with it I got the AVT-8710 and a JVC HR-S8000U SVHS recorder. By observing different posts by different people on this site, I figured I had all I needed.

I hooked JVC HR-S8000U to the AVT-8710 to the JVC DR-M10SL and played a good condition tape. There was jitter all over the place. I then, added a Sima Video Copy master into the chain and it stablized the picture more, but the video had a rack of noise in it. I then, hooked up the JVC-HRS8000U into the JVC-DR-M10SL and the picture was clear and sharp...However, there is a wavy line at the top that is very annoying. Also, there is some occasional jitter. As the tape plays on, the tape stablizes more until you get a solid picture.

So, my question was is there a way to eliminate that wavy line at the top with the hardware I have now, before I go out and get something else. Any advice or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. It sounds like your VCR may be having some trouble playing back that tape... is the HR-S8000U new, used, great shape, fair... ? Also, does the VHS tape play better using another VCR?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Oh, I see the 8000U is a high-end JVC S-VHS model from 1988. I think it could benefit a professional cleaning and adjustment/alignment, more than likely.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had a hunch that it a good ole fashioned cleaning may do the job. It's a used machine. I just bought it on Ebay a week ago. So, I'm not sure when the machine was last serviced. So it may be time to do that. Thanks for the reply gshelley.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's another question. I'm trying to compare the JVC HR-S8000 to the JVC HR-7000s and the JVC HR-9000's. In the manual and the features on the front of the machine, there is no indication that there is a TBC or DNR features on here. I figured that if the 7000's had those features and the 9000's had them, then the 8000's series would as well. Does anyone know more about this machine by chance????
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.elitevideo.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=206

Way, way, way outside my budget these days. Let me know how this goes. I do think the "we can make more resolution" is a pile of bull, however. It would only interpolate at best. But I wonder how the other features compare to the AVT8710 units.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I managed to grab one of those BVP-4's for about $100 plus shipping from a wedding videographer who is transitioning away from editing projects himself. The used ones go for anywhere from $90 to a little over $200 on eBay. I'll certainly post a full report after I check it out.

FYI, the unit is not a TBC and does not claim to defeat macrovision. It is strictly a corrector/enhancer from what I can tell. I'll see if it has any effect in that area, though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I'm only interested in the video adjustments. I know it's not TBC.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by dcsoulchild
    Here's another question. I'm trying to compare the JVC HR-S8000 to the JVC HR-7000s and the JVC HR-9000's. In the manual and the features on the front of the machine, there is no indication that there is a TBC or DNR features on here. I figured that if the 7000's had those features and the 9000's had them, then the 8000's series would as well. Does anyone know more about this machine by chance????
    lordsmurf would know better than me, but I think the Digipure/DNR/TBC circuits first appeared in the JVC S-VHS consumer VCR's with the HR-S9500U... I could be wrong, though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, earlist I saw was the 9500. The 9600 was much better, and it did not change through the 9900. The 9911 is supposedly next generation DNR, but that's not a good thing, supposedly it has less MB of cache. I've not looked into it, not in the market for buying one.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Here's a pretty detailed summary of the S-VHS "DigiPure Technology" circuits and what they do from the JVC Australia web site:

http://www.jvc-australia.com/!ProductFeatures/digipure2.asp
    Quote Quote  
  20. OK, I just received the pre-owned Elite Video BVP-4 Plus video processor I have been mentioning lately. A very quick connection to my laserdisc player and a short time messing with it have already revealed that it is a far better device than the Sima P.O.S. I've been using. It appears to do what it says very well... I will post some more detailed observations (and probably some before and after test frames for you all to have a look at) very soon!
    Quote Quote  
  21. TITLE DELETION - When you delete a title, and the disk says " EMPTY"
    is that the same as erasing ? Is the disk really blank ?
    Quote Quote  
  22. If you have not finalized yet, and can still preview the recording, you should be OK.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Today I ran some bad-source tests, direct from a VHS VCR to the recorders.... all I can say is WOW...

The JVC did not trip up on false MV like other recorders/capture cards.
    Quote Quote  
  24. That's great news... I have been using mostly very clean sources so far (laserdisc, analog and DV camcorder tapes) so it's good to know the JVC is somewhat forgiving with bad tapes.

Oh, yeah - I've had a chance to carefully compare the Elite Video and Sima video processors. I will be posting my impressions and findings pretty soon...
    Quote Quote  
  25. I know it's been doing great with my 10 year old EP tapes (I've got to preserve my MST3K episodes!) I've noticed an ever-so-slight blockyness, but that's also watching them on a 65" WS HD TV. I tried using my new ADVC 100 along with my JVC SR-VS30U, but got the same results just running the FireWire from the Deck to the DVD-Rec. So I'll save the Canopus for MV tapes, and LDs (to bad the TBC in the VCR doesn't cancel out the MV–would have saved me some bucks).

What interests me, is the fact that the JVC M10 doesn't fill up my DVDs like my LiteOn 5005 does. It must be the VBR. I just wished it made better use of the extra space. I'd record at XP and splice back together in post, but I worry about too high of a bitrate. So I'll continue using SP.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Try recording using the analog inputs (composite or S-Video, whichever looks best) on your DR-M10SL instead of converting your old VHS video to a DV stream with the Canopus or your VCR. Converting the analog video to DV involves another step of digital sampling and compression, which might be why you are getting some artifacts. The DVD recorder is receiving a digitized, compressed signal and then compressing it again for MPEG2 encoding.

I use the composite input most frequently on my JVC and let the DVD recorder deal with the analog feed. It has very good set of processing circuits that clean up and digitize the video for encoding.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TheMadHatter
    What interests me, is the fact that the JVC M10 doesn't fill up my DVDs like my LiteOn 5005 does. It must be the VBR. I just wished it made better use of the extra space. I'd record at XP and splice back together in post, but I worry about too high of a bitrate. So I'll continue using SP.
    Well, the LiteOn uses CVBR, which is not as good. The LiteOn quality is still quite nice, but not up to the level of JVC. The true VBR is used however it is needed.

Consider the 2-hour and such limits as "maximums" in a range that will end near there. Don't think it needs to hit it exactly.
    Quote Quote  
  28. If you want to use up more space on your final DVD-R (maximize the encoding quality)... you could try spreading your project over two DVD-RW's, but not at full XP. So, for a 2-hour movie, maybe encode at FR 1 hour 30 minutes using two DVD-RW's. That should raise the average bitrate up to where the 2 hour movie will fill the final edited DVD-R to just about capacity. You might have to play around with the FR time-based encoding settings, but it would accomplish what you are trying to do.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Thanks guys...

You've given me some food-for-thought.

Looks like I have some more experimenting to do.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    maybe encode at FR 1 hour 30 minutes using two DVD-RW's
    Why do you need two DVD-RWs ? I thought FR means for that available space you specify the time of video and then the recorder finds best possible VBR for that time.
    Please clarify
    Thanks because I just ordered my JVC-DR-10s
    Thanks again
    Variable Bit Rate in DVD Recorders : A quantum Leap
    Setup
    JVC S-VHS VCR model HR-S7960E TBC/ Digipure
    JVC DR-M10S DVD Recorder
    Quote Quote