VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by spiderman2k1
    "gshelley61" if your going to buy new LD's of star wars get the one with the face's. There THX.
    I had a "faces" set and sold them after I got the Definitive Collection CAV's. The picture quality is better than the "faces" set, which is CLV. There is some "smearing" artifacting on those (a common thing with CLV laserdiscs). Not a big deal, but the Definitive Collection has a cleaner picture. They are also THX certified.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a question, I noticed that some of the dvds I create have a audio bit rate of 394kbs and others are 256kbs. I was wondering if there was a way to make sure the audio stays at 256kbs instead of changing to 384kbs.

If anyone knows how please let me know.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I think XP mode uses the higher bitrate and SP is 256kbs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, it makes sense.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Does anybody else think CEF is just here to start trouble??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gates69
    Does anybody else think CEF is just here to start trouble??
    There's a lot of people on this forum that just seem like they want to cause trouble.

I view videohelp as two things: a place to learn, or a place to help. If I can do neither, I don't bother to post. (Well, except for saying hi to the post whores in off-topic.)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. I've just found out, from the retailers, that my Recorder had to be sent back to JVC and it could take up to three weeks to repair. It sat in the shop for two weeks before JVC collected it and now I have three, possibly five, weeks before I get it back.

Sniff, sniff; Anyways life goes on and I am considering buying a DVD burner for finalising my DVDs - has anyone had experience with using this machine with the JVC M10: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3...duct_uid=60872 .

I wonder if it would work in my PII 266?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by D Dawson
    I've just found out, from the retailers, that my Recorder had to be sent back to JVC and it could take up to three weeks to repair. It sat in the shop for two weeks before JVC collected it and now I have three, possibly five, weeks before I get it back.

Sniff, sniff; Anyways life goes on and I am considering buying a DVD burner for finalising my DVDs - has anyone had experience with using this machine with the JVC M10: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3...duct_uid=60872 .

I wonder if it would work in my PII 266?
    That's the one I have... and a Sony DRU-510A (yup, two burners!)

No problems with either. The LG reads DVD-RAM, too
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks, here are some more questions about using the LG-GSA4082BB OEM with the JVC recorder.

How good is the LG writer at handling RAM discs from the JVC recorder?

I plan to edit the adverts out of programs using the RAM disc and the JVC and then copy the movie, or whatever, onto my hard drive and burn it to -R media. Is this how You would normally do it?

Do you think the LG would work on my PII 266 PC
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yeah, actually I've only fed it DVD-RAM's recorded with my Panasonic E50. With the JVC I only use DVD-RW's in standard DVD-Video mode... it's faster with less problems that way. VR format DVD-RAM's can be buggy and are very slow to extract the files from. So, I guess at this point I really don't need a DVD-RAM reader, but it's there if I ever do. Not sure about the LG working with your PII processor... that's pretty slow these days.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For one day, I had the LG in a PII-200. Worked. But ATA-33 sucks.
    Quote Quote  
  12. What is ATA-33 Lordsmurf?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Copying a full DVD-RAM to the hard drive takes 25 minutes.
    Just a thought for RAM lovers out there.

The DVD-RW in DVD-Video would have only taken 10 minutes at most.

I never realized how long it was until I had 10 stacked up for editing.
    So much for editing today. Looks like it'll just be copying for now.

========

ATA-33 is the speed of older PC drives. New ones are ATA-133 and ATA-100. The optical CD/DVD drives of today are ATA-66. An ATA-33 board is not fun with an ATA-66 device, and in fact may not burn even at 1x speed without underruns.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I must be doing something wrong. When I copy the DVD-RW to the hard drvie it takes me the same amount of time as the DVD-RAM. I use Tmpgenc DVD Author to transfer the file to the computer. I don't want the file transfered as several VOB files, so I let Tmpgenc merge the VOB files to one MPG.

It's no good to me to have 4 or 6 vob files when I want to add my own chapter points. I use DVD Workshop 2 to author the video with menus. The reason I use RAM more is because I get one complete file. If someone knows a way to get the RW to be one complete file that I can add my own chapter points I would glady do so (to use DVD Workshop 2 to author).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ejai
    If someone knows a way to get the RW to be one complete file that I can add my own chapter points I would glady do so
    ejai,

That's how I do it.

After I finished recording on DVD-RW in DVD-Video mode, I take the disk to my PC into my LiteOn 401S. Then I start DVDDecrypter and choose IFO mode. Also, in the settings for IFO mode I chose NONE where it says "File Splitting". After ripping is done, I get one big VOB file. Then I run it through Womble MPEG Video Wizard to cut out unwanted parts etc and save it as the new MPEG.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kabanero
    ejai,

That's how I do it.

After I finished recording on DVD-RW in DVD-Video mode, I take the disk to my PC into my LiteOn 401S. Then I start DVDDecrypter and choose IFO mode. Also, in the settings for IFO mode I chose NONE where it says "File Splitting". After ripping is done, I get one big VOB file. Then I run it through Womble MPEG Video Wizard to cut out unwanted parts etc and save it as the new MPEG.
    Thanks for the speedy response, I will try that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    kabanero, one last thing, does it take as long as 25mins or more to rip to hard drive?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    kabanero, one last thing, does it take as long as 25mins or more to rip to hard drive?
    ejai

I just ripped to my PC one movie that I recorded from Dish Network with my M10 a week ago. I used DVD-RW disk in DVD Video mode. Total size of all files on disk was 3.29 GB (3,538,257,920 bytes). I have LiteOn 401S +R/RW burner (very good as ripping DVD-ROM drive). When I rip DVDs in FILE mode with DVDDecryptor it rips sometimes at 6-8x. In IFO mode it is slower, started at 3.2x and finised at 6x.

BUT, I took only 10 minutes and 23 seconds.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings from Ireland !

Great to see a thread on the JVC Dr-M10 as I'm seriously considering buying a DVD recorder and the JVC is top of my list at the moment.

Just one question that maybe someone can answer The JVC on sale here in Ireland is a "JVC DR-M10ek" as oppose to 10SL. Is it safe to assume it's the same machine except maybe with a different tuner ??

Thanks,

Moonstomp.
    Just because you're nobody, doesn't mean that you're no good. Just because there's a reason, doesn't mean it's understood. It doesn't make it all right ! (The Specials)
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Moonstomp
    Just one question that maybe someone can answer The JVC on sale here in Ireland is a "JVC DR-M10ek" as oppose to 10SL. Is it safe to assume it's the same machine except maybe with a different tuner ??
    Same machine. The "SL" is the U.S. model.
    Quote Quote  
  21. ejai - there's several different ways to extract the VOB's from the recorded DVD-RW's as a single file. The DVD Decrypter method as described by kabanero is one of them.

First of all, if you have Womble MPEG-VCR or MPEG Video Wizard (and probably a few other programs), it isn't totally necessary to rip them to your hard drive... you can use the VOB's right off the disc and cut/join them that way. Womble reacts much slower, but it does work OK. I prefer to save the files to my hard drive first because Womble works better (and faster) that way.

If you want to convert the VOB's into one file, a simple and easy method I've been using lately is joining and saving the VOB's as a single .MPG or .VOB with Simple File Joiner http://www.peretek.com/sfj.php - it's freeware and works great. The time it takes is about the same as ripping a DVD with DVD Decrypter, DVDShrink, or SmartRipper.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gshelley61
    ejai - there's several different ways to extract the VOB's from the recorded DVD-RW's as a single file. The DVD Decrypter method as described by kabanero is one of them.

First of all, if you have Womble MPEG-VCR or MPEG Video Wizard (and probably a few other programs), it isn't totally necessary to rip them to your hard drive... you can use the VOB's right off the disc and cut/join them that way. Womble reacts much slower, but it does work OK. I prefer to save the files to my hard drive first because Womble works better (and faster) that way.

If you want to convert the VOB's into one file, a simple and easy method I've been using lately is joining and saving the VOB's as a single .MPG or .VOB with Simple File Joiner http://www.peretek.com/sfj.php - it's freeware and works great. The time it takes is about the same as ripping a DVD with DVD Decrypter, DVDShrink, or SmartRipper.
    Thanks for the responses, but I have all those programs and have used each one to rip my dvd-rw that was created by the JVC to my hard drive. Each programs did this in about 25 mins or longer. I even tried DVD Decrypter again last night using the file setting and it took a little over 25 mintes to do so. I am using a A06 burner to extract the files, I wonder if that is the isssue.

My dvd-ram is more convient to use than the dvd-rw, they take about the same time. For example I used DVD Decrypter last night to rip the file to the hard drive (I created one large file) it took a little over 25 mins. I changed the vob extension to mpg so that DVD Workshop would be able to use the file. When I loaded the file into DVDWS it could not read the file properly. So I opened Mpeg2Vcr and saved the file again using this program (another 10 mins.), and then loaded it again into DVDWS and it worked fine.

This was too much work and took a lot of time. Once I create the file using dvd-ram there is no need to finalize it. I just take it over to my computer load it into DVD Workshop and make my menus and I am done.

I would like to use the RW more but I don't see any time advantages that most people here see. My last two movie were 2hrs and 11mins long and each took over 25 minutes to rip to my hard drive (no matter which format I used). I would love to be able to rip faster.
    Quote Quote  
  23. ejai, I think your DVD-ROM might be slow at reading -RW's... they vary in their speed and ability to read them and other DVD formats. The newer readers are much faster than even just a year ago. The other possibility is your computer's processing speed and how fast it can save data to your hard drive might be slower than some of ours.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I even tried DVD Decrypter again last night using the file setting and it took a little over 25 mintes to do so. I am using a A06 burner to extract the files, I wonder if that is the isssue.
    ejai,

I think that your A06 is the problem. I remember there were some threads on this forum last year that Pioneer locked A06 ripping speed to 2x.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might be right it must the reader because my computer is a 2.5 ghz and runs incredibly fast. I might think about upgrading the reader very soon.
    Quote Quote  
  26. There is probably a "hacked" firmware for your A06 that will allow reading at a faster speed. Note that I am not recommending such an upgrade, though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry people I had a type-o when I put the specs for my burner, it's an A03 not A06. This only means that I am in a worst rut than before.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The A03 sucks at both reading and burning. The CD laser inside is trash. I gave away my 103 months ago.

You'll never get faster than 2x read or write on the A03, not even with hacked firmwares, not on the RW media. In fact RW media may not last with hacks. Do not do it.

Buy a good LG ROM drive for about $40 that can read RW at a fast speed 6x or more, and RAM at 2x.

=================

Does anybody else notice that leaving discs in the JVC overnight may come out warm ... even if the machine was left off? I would advise against leaving discs in the machine ever, but I did it last night. Maybe it was a fluke. I'm not worried about it. The machine is still MUCH cooler than any other recorder I've used or seen to date.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I have the hacked firmware for my Pioneer A07. It still takes considerably longer to read RAM than -RW and ripping is no faster than when I had the original firmware. I believe I read that the hacked versions only allow faster ripping for pressed disks. ?????

Anyway, for comparison purposes, my times pretty much square with Lord Smurf's; circa 25 minutes for RAM and 10 for -RW.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was wondering why everyone was getting better numbers than me. I knew I had to be lacking in some area. I will purchase another burner soon,

I'm planning to get the LG Electronics GSA4120BB DVD±RW Writer .
    Quote Quote