VideoHelp Forum

View Poll Results: Documentary Movies...

Voters
2850. This poll is closed
  • Don't Belong In Theaters

664 23.30%
  • Are More Fun To Watch In Theaters

191 6.70%
  • Should Premiere After The News On TV

170 5.96%
  • Should Never Be Made. Reality Shows Are Good Enough

11 0.39%
  • Are Enjoyable Depending On The Subject Matter

1,238 43.44%
  • Are Dull, Boring, And Not What I Want To See When I Go To The Movies

266 9.33%
  • Are Great! I Loved Michael Moore's 'tgpo And Me'. My Hate For tgpo Started Due To That Documentary

310 10.88%
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. I am with Captain Video, Moores fiction F-9/11 had a number of misrepresentations (lies) in it. It was taken apart on republican radio, I did think a documentary was a representation of the truth.

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning.
    / Moderator Baldrick

2. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Documentaries are OK if they're actually documenting something. Fictional movies masquerading as documentaries is just playing off of the public's willingness to accept anything that's on the screen as fact. It's whoring at its most refined :P

Search Comp PM
    I think documentaries are fine in theaters or on TV. There just aren't too many i'd want to pay theater prices for.

Originally Posted by triphop
    Look its a documentary whether you or the GOP blowhards consider it not to be. It is a representation of factual events without the use of actors or staged scenes. Sure, it has a point of view, even an agenda, but that does not make it fiction or not a documentary.
    But it IS fiction. A huge portion of what he says are outright lies, right down to the fiction that he's from Flint Michigan. He selectively chooses video and intercuts it to give impressions of things that aren't true. And what he says is dwarfed by what he chooses to leave out.

Straight out propaganda.

And regardless of the fact that his fellow leftists gave him an award, it's a really poorly done meandering topic-jumping mess, to boot.

see book; Michael Moore Is A Big Fat Stupid White Man, which tidily disects his work and his life and shows he basically is a lie.

Search Comp PM
    Michael Moore is the biggest wanker on this god-dam planet.

I'd like to see him go out and make these so called Anti War Documentary's ( Lets face thats what they are, no matter what way there presented), on Hisbullah, Al Qaieda, or any other of them f**king Islamic Fundalmentalist Organizations and see how far he gets in using his f**king so called freedom of speech.

Anyone remember Salman Rusdie ??. Look what happen to him. Had a death threat against him for years for only questing the Kurran. Had to be in hiding most of that time and only recently has had the death threat lifted.

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning.
    / Moderator Baldrick

I Have Always Been Here

Toshiba Regza 37Z3030D, Toshiba HD XE1 + EP-10 ( Both Multiregioned), Samsung BD-P1500 Blu Ray. OPPO DV-983H

Search Comp PM
    I don't think LordSmurf's "ideal" of the impartial documentary exists.

I love watching ape doccos on National Georgraphic/Discovery/Animal Planet etc, some are extremely interesting with regard to ape society & culture, but I have to stop & wonder about how much the documentary makers are superimposing "human" values upon these apes. For example, giving chimpanzees names. Explaining ape behaviour in terms of "jealousy", "affection", etc.

That's just my opinion.

I don't think a documentary exists that is "unbiased". And if it did, it would probably annoy me because I want to hear the ATTITUDE of the filmmakers, not some conservative "sitting on the fence" approach.

6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    if you want to continue discuss mooore do it over at www.politick.org.uk . too much politics.

Search Comp PM
    Baldrick i Apologise for using the W word. My mistake, i wasn't thinking straight.

If you want you could always delete my post and leave the formal warning in place. After all i disserve it.

Again my Apology's.
    I Have Always Been Here

Toshiba Regza 37Z3030D, Toshiba HD XE1 + EP-10 ( Both Multiregioned), Samsung BD-P1500 Blu Ray. OPPO DV-983H

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DayFour
    They shouldn't be in the Theaters, they should be more acessible to the people

Like the discovery, history channel or even broadcast tv.
    Agreed.

Documnetary should = facts = learning.

Nachos/popcorn/soda have no part in this.
    Regards,

Rob

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rhegedus
    Originally Posted by DayFour
    They shouldn't be in the Theaters, they should be more acessible to the people

Like the discovery, history channel or even broadcast tv.
    Agreed.

Documnetary should = facts = learning.

Nachos/popcorn/soda have no part in this.
    I don't know, it's fun to eat popcorn & learn about apes.

I half-agree with Rhegedus, documentaries should be educational...but there is always 2 sides of the coin. By teaching/expressing one side of the coin, is propaganda. By giving equal time to both sides of coin, is fair but also cop-out. And how do we know what is educational & what is staged? Eg with ape documentaries, how do we know the "stories" we are being told really happened, not just invented in the editing suite during post-production?

I also like astronomy documentaries, but they raise more questions than they answer. Science thinks it knows everything, but it doesn't answer anything!!!

No such thing as "impartial", I'm afraid!!! We all come from different galaxies!!!

But yes...back to topic...Some documentaries are superb. It depends on the subject matter. People in general are uneducated. They think the Sun orbits the Earth, and the Mars is closer than the Moon. There is definately a place for documentaries, perhaps like the old days, when they play documentaries before the feature film in cinemas.

Just my thoughts on the matter...

Search Comp PM
    Why does a documentary have to have an opinion?

If there was one abut the Apollo moon landings, would you expect an interview of people who think it was all filmed in a Hollywood studio?
    Regards,

Rob

Search Comp PM

If there was one abut the Apollo moon landings, would you expect an interview of people who think it was all filmed in a Hollywood studio?
    Good point, no, I don't think it was a faked. But what about the politics behind it all? It wasn't a glorious "giant leap" for mankind, it was the result of a childish race between childish political leaders. It should have been the result of a international quest for knowledge & exploration. And why the Apollo program was axed when the next few missions were already paid for & ready to go?? Maybe there are secret CIA moonbases over on the other side of the moon, where we can't see them!!? Ha ha... Or maybe the Chinese are there first!?

But to be serious, I'm not just talking about politics, I'm just saying ALL documentaries have an "angle". There is no such thing as unbias!

I prefer "propaganda", because at least you can agree or disagree. But giving both sides of an argument is weak, it's not taking sides, it's a cop-out.

Search Comp PM

if it does not, then it shows a bias toward the belief that it was not faked - the selection of the footage, omitting any question that it may have been staged, forms an underlying opinion or viewpoint.

now, as someone who believes that the Apollo moon landings did occur, this presumption wouldn't bother me. for someone who is dead-set that they were faked, and can produce evidence of that, the omission of any argument would smack them as propaganda.

there is no way to avoid some opinion (bias). for an interesting look at this (directly applied to surveying and testing, but would apply to documentaries as well) check out "Technopoly" by Neil Postman, chapter 8, "Invisible Technologies".
    - housepig
    ----------------
    Housepig Records
    out now:
    Various Artists "Six Doors"
    Unicorn "Playing With Light"

Search Comp PM
    for an interesting look at this (directly applied to surveying and testing, but would apply to documentaries as well) check out "Technopoly" by Neil Postman, chapter 8, "Invisible Technologies".
    Thanks Housepig, looks interesting, I just went & reserved it at my local library!

Judging by your avatar & signature, Housepig, you like apes & monkeys too? Ha ha...

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NamPla
    Thanks Housepig, looks interesting, I just went & reserved it at my local library!

Judging by your avatar & signature, Housepig, you like apes & monkeys too?
    I'd also recommend "Amusing Ourselves To Death" and "The Dissappearence of Childhood", also by Postman.

as for monkeys... the avatar and sig change about once a month, I'm about due in the next week or so...
    - housepig
    ----------------
    Housepig Records
    out now:
    Various Artists "Six Doors"
    Unicorn "Playing With Light"

Search Comp PM
    I like documentaries, if they are done right. I really want to see the Documentary "War of Words" which is on the 2003 World Scrabble Tournament (Okay I need a life). But it should at least not be filled with either left/right wing hate garbage. I don't need any of that.

I think tgpo & me could be Brilliant only if he got to tease MM with a giant Twinkie or something.

Rog

Search Comp PM
    I prefer watching them at home. Just finished watching James Nachtwey: War Photographer. Its very good.
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by triphop
    Look its a documentary whether you or the GOP blowhards consider it not to be. It is a representation of factual events without the use of actors or staged scenes. Sure, it has a point of view, even an agenda, but that does not make it fiction or not a documentary.

Interesting definitions those... Unattributed definitions generally don't count for much - where do they come from? Your next door neighbor?
    You can throw your little tantrums all you want but it isn't going to change the fact that Moore's film is a propaganda piece and is not a documentary.

Your statement above there even points out the qualifier for the propaganda designation rather than documentary. It's agenda driven, and therefore not a documentary.

Your grade school history teachers should ashamed of you.

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning. https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=977528#977528
    / Moderator Baldrick
    "There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon." -- Raoul Duke

18. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    if you want to continue discuss mooore do it over at www.politick.org.uk . too much politics.

end.