VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Anyone experience recordings on the JVC DR-M10S where the DVD looks lighter than the original tape? I am making the recordings from 8MM tape to DVD using the S-Video output to the front jacks in 2 hour mode. The recordings look lighter than the original.

Anyone else notice this/have this problem?

Thanks,

Eric
    Quote Quote  
  2. The recordings I've made tend to wind up with more contrast and color, which may appear to be brighter than the original. Remember that the JVC has pre-encoding enhancement and noise reduction filters, plus playback enhancement and noise reduction. So the recorded disc won't look exactly like the original. Hopefully it will be a bit cleaner (less noisy) and better looking.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I noticed a slight lightness than the originals, but it still looks great. I have my monitor set to balance the light and darks to most of my store bought dvds.

Whenever I play the recordings made with the JVC they are a bit lighter and I have to darken the monitor to compensate for the change in brightness. This again most people will not notice or even care about because the picture is so good.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have both LiteOn 5001 and JVC DR-M10. The recording from 5001 is even lighter than the one from JVC. The color produced by JVC is a little bit darker and more saturated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cchang
    I have both LiteOn 5001 and JVC DR-M10. The recording from 5001 is even lighter than the one from JVC. The color produced by JVC is a little bit darker and more saturated.
    My exact findings.

The JVC is true to my SVHS source 100%

The LiteOn can be slightly lighter (actually, contrast corrections), and it depends on the source. Broadcast and SVHS don't do this, only VHS.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hmmm...I guess it could be a contrast correction. The picture itself looks good - just surprised at the increased whiteness.

The tapes I am transferring are 10 year old standard 8 MM, so the quality of the source isnt super. I will try to get some direct grabs of the 8MM versus grabs of the DVD.

Thanks,

E
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This could also be luma errors in the signal. A TBC or even a cheapo clarifier (SIMA) can stop much of this if it really is luma. I have a Sima SED-CM between the SVHS VCR (JVC 3800) and the LiteOn 5001.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I captured from DTV, Cable and VHS tapes and all seem lighter than the originals. Not as bad as the black level bug. Yet there is a degree of lightness over and above the original source.

I notice it more on my computer and much less on my television, yet it is there still the same. It would be nice if some manufacturers would start allowing people to have more control over the video they capture by giving us some sort of brightness and color controls. In most cases we find we have to have some kind of video processor hooked up to get the quality we want.
    Quote Quote  
  9. There are playback controls on the JVC... Soft, Fine, Theater, etc.

These settings make a difference, too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm talking about video capturing controls.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I've looked at a couple more captures and they all look "washed out" compared to the originals. I'm going to re-capture a tape I originally did on the E60 and compare the results. This might be getting exchanged - maybe an electronics problem?

Something interesting came up though - I went to go pop in a panasonic E60 disk into my player and it wasn't playing, so I threw it into the JVC. Turned out I forget to finalize the disk - the JVC knew it was a DVD-R and could see the program. It wouldnt let me title it, but it did let me finalize the disk, which then played back in my toshiba stand alone.

E
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All my TVs and DVD players have some sort of contrast/black level adjustment. As long as it's not grossly off (like early Panasonic recordings), it'll play fine with a filter. I just pick one of the 5 filters on my Toshiba. All discs range a bit, even pro ones. Pro ones are often too dark honestly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I ran into quite a few dark professional dvds that's why I say the slight brightness is no problem. "The Black Level Bug Was A Problem".
    Quote Quote  
  14. DVD players vary quite a bit, too. I have four (two recorders, two standalones) and they each look a bit different. In fact, each output type (composite, S-Video, component, DVI) looks different on each single machine! There are noticeable differences in brightness, contrast and detail. There are also differences in the input types on televisons and display monitors. And, obviously, each display brand, model and type (CRT, DLP, LCD, plasma, direct view, projection) have widely varying characteristics. This is why it's helpful to, at the least, use the THX video tests that are on some commercial DVD's to tweak your display (and playback settings on you DVD player if you have them) for optimal viewing from the specific player and output/input and display type you are using. This can also extend the service life of most display types by not overdoing the brightness, etc.

My Pioneer laserdisc player is like that, too. The composite out is much brighter and a bit sharper than the S-Video out, but is noisier and the color/contrast isn't as good. I've noticed these types of variations with VCR and camcorder playback, too. Not to mention that every DVD, laserdisc and videotape varies widely in contrast, color, brightness and detail. That's why I sometimes use a Sima SCC when recording to even some of these differences out (not a great unit, but helpful).
    Quote Quote  
  15. "EricS" I have the Panasonic E80 they only time I do not get color shift's are in XP one hour recording mode.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I noticed and also commented in another thread about the "Lack of Sharpness" or "Washed Out" effect on the JVC and it's highly noticeable on a big screen TV.

It seems like the pre-processing software on the DR-M10S is using bi-linear resizing method for any type of material or bitrate, and some of these recordings reminded me of my DVD2SVCD 1-CD encodings that came out the same way for one reason only, to achieve the best image compression thus lowering the bitrate and sacrificing resolution.

Since there's not user settings for video adjustments like on the Pioneers I was thinking of adding an enhancer or video processor, but that may add noise or artifacts to make matters worse.

One more thing that also noticed is the "checkboard" or rather small squares when using S-Video input on a solid background color like the blue screen from my VCR. This effect doesn't show when using the Composite input or in the recording itself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 50" and a 36" and the video captured by the JVC looks great on both.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I haven't noticed any "washed out" effect or "lack of sharpness" on my recordings.

To date, I've transferred over 40 hours worth of VHS and Hi8 tapes (using XP mode exclusively). Each recorded disk looks every bit as good as the original tape when viewed on my 32" and 36" Wega sets. The recordings were all made going straight from my JVC VCR (2902) and Sony Hi8 camcorder to my M10S (no TBC or other device in between). Further, I probably have the crappiest DVD players on the face of the earth.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Don't get me wrong the JVC does a great job with analog or noisy sources like old VHS tapes and cable signal, but recordings from my TiVo or DSS which are digital(cleaner) tend to loose sharpness/color specially on wide angle shots.
    Quote Quote  
  20. ]Hey Tag,

If you have "the crappiest DVD players on the face of the earth",
    Then what would you know about video quality![/b][/size][/color]
    Quote Quote  
  21. Uh, well, if one of my recordings looks good on a crappy player, it will certainly look better on a higher quality machine.

I proved this with my M10S and my $39 player. The recording was virtually indistinguishable from the source on my cheapo player while the same disk looked even better than the source material when played on my M10S.

Next............
    Quote Quote  
  22. BTW, why in hell are you being so damned contentious? I mean, what's your problem, other than you absolutely hate the JVC M10S?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Tag, this nysoftwaretroll is the same f*cking idiot that wound up shutting down the DR-M10SL thread with his inane rantings about some new Toshiba DVD recorder and by hurling insults. Don't waste your time.
    Quote Quote  
  24. @nysoftwareman, no need for the large font, just use normal text like everbody else please.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I hate that the other thread was locked because of this person. I enjoyed the exchange of info and ideas.

As I said before the copies made with the JVC are lighter, but not bad at all. This is definately one of the best recorders I've seen so far. I'm sure there are others. Believe me there is room for everybody.

Why can't we all just git along?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd like to say one more thing about the brightness issue that this thread is speaking about. I only notice the difference of brightness on my computer, viewing it through Windvd. On both my Televisions the video seems close to the original in terms of lightness.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by ejai
    I'd like to say one more thing about the brightness issue that this thread is speaking about. I only notice the difference of brightness on my computer.........

I've experienced the exact opposite because I have the contrast on both of my computer displays set as high as possible and the brightness set very low. These settings provide deep blacks and good contrast for s/w apps, browsing, etc., but my recordings appear much darker than my TV sets.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ejai
    I'd like to say one more thing about the brightness issue that this thread is speaking about. I only notice the difference of brightness on my computer, viewing it through Windvd. On both my Televisions the video seems close to the original in terms of lightness.
    Turn off "enhancing" features in PowerDVD/WinDVD
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by ejai
    Yeah, I hate that the other thread was locked because of this person. I enjoyed the exchange of info and ideas.
    Yeah, I was quite upset by that too. I don't understand why the admins don't just ban the offending users instead of locking the entire thread.
    Quote Quote  
  30. I suppose we could start a new DR-M10SL users thread...
    Quote Quote