VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tools Required: TMPGEnc Plus BeSweet Goldwave
    Tools Also Mentioned AviSynth DVD Decrypter DVD2AVI FitCD

Audio

First we need to load the avi into Goldwave to get the audio of the file. Since we will be changing the frame rate of the video we need to also change the frame rate of the audio. To do this open Goldwave and then pres the "Open" button (step 1) or go to "File --> Open" and then select the avi you want to convert. Once it has finished loading the file we need to save the audio as a 16-bit 48k Stereo PCM WAV file. To do this we go to "File --> Save As" (step 2) then select where you want to save the audio. Remember where you saved it so that you can find it again later.

Next we need to convert the frame rate of the file we just saved out with Goldwave. For this we will use BeSweet (make sure you have the latest beta version of the BeSeeet.exe and BeSweet Gui) Open BeSweet Gui and select "BeSweet GUI" as seen below

Now we need to set BeSweet to save our file as a 16-bit 48k PCM WAV with a frame rate of 25fps since that is the native PAL fram rate. To do this we need to first load the file we saved with Goldwave into BeSweet by pressing the folder icon next to "Input" at the top left (step 1). Then we need to tell BeSweet where to save the new WAV file. BeSweet might not rename the file properly so I suggest saving the new file to a folder that is not the same os the "Input" file folder. Go to the folder icon next to "Output" and find that folder (step 2). Underneath the "Save" button you will see a yellow drop down menu. Find "PCM (WAVE / AIFF)" in the drop down menu and click on it (step 3). Now all we need to do is put a check mark in the box next to "Change Frame Rate From" an in the first yellow box enter 24000 in the second enter 25000 (step 4). Now you might be thinking "my file isn't 24000 fps I will use 29.970 fps but that is wrong! You will see why in a minute.

Now we need to make the MP2 or AC3 file. I suggest using MP2 because it is smaller and allows you a better bitrate on the video for larger movies. If you are not worried about file size and want to use AC3 to get the best quality then I am sure you can figure that out. Below I show how to make an MP2. First we need to load the WAV file we just did the frame rate convert to with BeSweet (step 1). You can select where to output but since the file extension will be different it won't matter this time if you save it to the same folder as the source WAV. In the drop down below the "Save" button (step 2) you need to find MP2 and select it. Make sure the "Presets:" box is NOT checked anymore! This is very important because it will throw the audio out of sync with the video in the end.

Now Click "2LAME" on the right hand side (step 1) and make sure you have set everything as it is in the picture below! If you want to lower the bitrate I would not recommend going any lower than 128 (step 2) as this will be very apparent when listening to it later! Make sure you use "MP2ENC" not "tooLame" (step 3).

Now you can output the MP2 and we are finished with the audio!

Video

For this we will use TMPGEnc Plus.

I will convert several different types of NTSC files including AVI files, MPEG files, and the process for a DVD (which you must first rip in FILE MODE with DVD Decrypter).

MPEG-1 files can be loaded directly into TMPGEnc Plus as can all AVI files.

If you have ripped an NTSC DVD to your HDD then you need to run it through DVD2AVI to get your demuxed audio (which is probably going to be AC-3) and your D2V project file.

If you already have an MPEG-1 file or an AVI file you can skip this next section to USING TMPGEnc PLUS

USING DVD2AVI

This program is actually pretty simple to use. If you have an MPEG-2 file you simply load that single file. If you have ripped an NTSC DVD to your HDD using FILE MODE in DVD Decrypter you have to make sure you find the right "set" of files to load ... i.e., the set that corresponds to the portion of video on the DVD you want to convert be it the main movie or an extra like a theatrical trailer etc.

Usually the main movie will be someting like this:

VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    VTS_01_3.VOB
    VTS_01_4.VOB

Just load the first file (in this example VTS_01_1.VOB) and the rest that correspond will auto load.

Run the PREVIEW for a moment by hitting the F5 KEY then stop it by hitting the ESC KEY.

Now across the top CLICK on VIDEO and set up as follows:

iDCT Algorithm ---> Leave at default (32-bit SSE MMX)
    FIELD OPERATOIN ---> NONE
    COLOR SPACE ---> YUV 4:2:2
    YUV -> RGB ---> TV SCALE
    LUMINANCE FILTER ---> Leave at default (not checkmarked i.e., don't use)
    CLIP & RESIZE ---> Leave at default (not checkmarked i.e., don't use)

Now across the top CLICK on AUDIO and set up as follows:

TRACK NUMBER ---> NONE
    CHANNEL FORMAT ---> AUTO SELECT
    DOLBY DIGITAL ---> DEMUX ALL TRACKS
    MPEG AUDIO ---> DEMUX ALL TRACKS
    48 -> 44.1KHz ---> Leave at default (OFF)
    NORMALIZATION ---> Leave at default (not checkmarked i.e., don't use)

Now look at the Statistics Window that poped up when you did the preview. Note the aspect ratio. It will either be 4:3 or 16:9 ... remember this!

Now CLICK the F4 KEY to save your project file which will have a .D2V at the end. The file folder you select will contain not only your D2V project file but also your DEMUXED AUDIO which will most likely be AC-3

USING TMPGEnc PLUS

We are now ready to load our AVI, MPEG-1, D2V project file into TMPGEnc Plus.

Open TMPGEnc Plus and close the wizard then go to "File --> New Project" to be sure we are starting clean.

Now down near the bottom where it says "Video Source" you want to click on "Browse" and find your video file on your hard drive. If you have an AVI or MPEG-1 file the file will also auto-load the audio source. This is fine but bear in mind we will NOT be using TMPGEnc Plus for audio conversion!

Now under stream type it says SETTINGS - LOAD - SAVE

We want to CLICK on LOAD and load the PAL DVD template. (DVD (PAL).mcf) you can also load (S)VCD if you do not want to make a DVD it works the same way!

SELECT the correct file (highlighted in my example above) and CLICK on OPEN. We are now back to the main "page" of TMPGEnc Plus.

Now we have to load the UNLOCK template. So again CLICK on LOAD and open the EXTRA folder then load the UNLOCK template (unlock.mcf)

SELECT the correct file (highlighted in my example above) and CLICK on OPEN. We are now again back to the main "page" of TMPGEnc Plus.

Make sure you now click on ES (Video only) under STREAM TYPE (step 1).

This is an example of what you should see (note in this example I'm using an AVI file as a source file):

Now we want to click on SETTINGS and this will bring up the MPEG SETTING window. It should default to the VIDEO TAB.

We want to move to the ADVANCED tab at the top. Then we need to double click where it says "inverse telecine (convert to 24fps : flicker prioritized)" Then click on the "Auto-Setting" button. If your source is already 23.976p and has no interlace frames then I would definately use the settings below. If you have an interlaced file you can choose weather or not you want to deinterlace or not (I recommend that you never deinterlace but thats personal opinion) Then press the OK button.

Now that we have changed the frame rate we need to change a few things under the advanced tab. These settings are for a 16:9 avi file but hopefully you know enough to set them for the file type you have. Or just leave the defaults and it should be fine.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A CHECK MARK IN THE "DO NOT FRAME RATE CONVERT" BOX! Your screen should look like the one below!

Now we go back to the video tab.

We need to set the video output to match the input source. Do not change "Stream Type" or "Size" the defaults are correct! Under "Aspect Ratio" you need to choose the original aspect ration of the file(step 1). If you do not remember what it is then I suggest you get AVIcodec which will tell you. For frame rate it will say 24. We need to change that to 25 (step 2).

Rate Control Mode is where you tell it what kind of compression you want to use. I suggest using "2-pass VBR (VBR)" for all work done in TMPGEnc. (step 3)

Encode Mode should be "non-interlace (progressive)" (step 4).

DC Component Precision should be "10bits" (step 5).

Now you can click "OK" at the bottom.

Once back to the start you can click "Start" and then kick back and relax while TMPGEnc takes it't time doing the work

Once the Video has finished go to "File --> MPEG Tools" then open the M2V you just made (step 1) open the MP2 audio file we made earlier (step 2) and tell it where to save the MPG file (step 3)

Your done! That simple! :P

This process can also be used to make (S)VCD files by just changing the template you load!

I have a P4 3.2 HT with 3 GB of DDR533 and it takes me about 4 hours per hour of video. This is about 1 hour per 19,000 frames. My AMD 2600+ with 768 of DDR400 did about 14,000 frames per hour. It helps to have good hard drives which are defragged regularily and to use a source drive for the input video and a destination drive for the output video. I use Norton System Works to defrag and find it MUCH MUCH better than windows. I do alot of encoding so I defrag all 3 of my 120GB hard drives twice per week and I find that I can tell when the hard drives have just been defragged even doing it that often!

As always any questions, comments, or concerns can be e-mailed to webmaster at kevinoz.com

Thanks to Fulcilives for his help and the original forum post which made this guide possible https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=228302
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Great, thanks... how about a guide to do the reverse standard conversion? I haven't seen a good PAL to NTSC guide yet, unfortunately, that works all the way through.
    Also, the guide is entitled "Convert NTSC AVI, DVD, (S)VCD to PAL DVD, (S)VCD", but it starts off with a source AVI, not a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. well I tried this guide and I have jittery video and I didn't have the pcm wav bit in besweet
    Quote Quote  
  4. you have it set to change framerate from 24000 to 25000. it should be from 23976 to 25000. I also suggest using virtualdub to xtract the wav audio, its free no reason fro goldwave.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I tried virtualdub too and I used headac3he aswell to get the mp2 audio as i dont seem to have mp3 convert in besweet and still out of sync.
    Quote Quote  
  6. well the only confusing this about this and im still kind of stuck.
    in besweet when you load your file, change the framerate select the pcm wav aiff or whatever and have all of that, you didnt mention how to save the file or get the program to start the conversion, i tried hitting the wav to wav button but it just bring up that window, so can you clarify that single step please?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by andybno1
    well I tried this guide and I have jittery video and I didn't have the pcm wav bit in besweet
    cant anyone tell me how I get pcm wav in besweet??
    Quote Quote  
  8. wow almost a month on and noone replies to a simple question boy makes me wanna ask for help here more often
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by st0n3r
    well the only confusing this about this and im still kind of stuck.
    in besweet when you load your file, change the framerate select the pcm wav aiff or whatever and have all of that, you didnt mention how to save the file or get the program to start the conversion, i tried hitting the wav to wav button but it just bring up that window, so can you clarify that single step please?

thanks
    I have been looking alot of BeSweet guides and no one has mentioned that step. All i can think of is that they don't know themselves and are just copying others' guides or something. WTF
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    most pal dvd players will play ntsc anyway...........
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi all,
    I bought a Yamakawa 238 DVD player. it indicated it is MULTIZONE. I already converted it to REGION FREE. will I have a problem playing a DVD that is PAL. I am not too clear on this PAL /NTSC stuff
    Thanks and Regards
    FFL
    Quote Quote  
  12. Have you looked in the DVD player section? Your Yamakawa 238 is also PAL capable, at the worst you'll have to go into the system menu and change output to MULTI or NTSC, I assume you are in USA/NTSC.
    Yes, should work fine for PAL.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thank You chipsndukes
    you are right, it worked with no problems
    Thanks and Regards
    FFL
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for it ... works perfect.....

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being banned for spamming.
    / Moderator mats.hogberg
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Regarding saving files from BeSweet I finally figured it out if anyone's interested.
    When all your stuff is set up as you want it in BeSweet, hit the button then exit BeSweet.

Open the Command Prompt in windows (programs/accessories/command prompt) Navigate using DOS commands to your BeSweet directory, then right-click and select paste.

The command line script from BeSweet will be pasted into the Command Prompt window.
    NOTE - you must check carefully that the DOS language is correct & modify it if it's not right.
    When you're happy that it's right, hit the ENTER key and watch it all happen before your eyes.
    Quote Quote