VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I need someone to do me a small favor. Go to Newegg (everyone's favorite online seller ) and do a search for ND-2510A, the new NEC DL dvd writer.

I want a beige drive, and Im totally fine with paying the extra 3 bucks for one. However, what is the difference between th SW model and the regular? I have no clue, as my last post might suggest, Im a dvd writing newb. Thanks a TON!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SW is for software. The SW version comes bundled with Roxio software (not sure which version). The other model doesn't include the software.
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Shit.. another question... should I just get the 2500A instead? It's cheaper.. has the same specs EXCEPT Dual Layer.. but I certainly dont NEED that.. the 2500A is only 69 bucks at newegg compared to 85 I think for the 2510. What should I do? I just want to back up some movies and make some dvd's of my band from files I already have that I've gotten by way of my Radeon 9700pro All in Wonder. That's it. Which would be better for me?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    unless you really need the 16 bucks, just do it. Er, I mean, I would.
    I'm happy with my 4x pioneer.
    But you never know when that extra bump and big space would be real nice.
    that's my vote.
    patwig
    Quote Quote  
  5. Get the 2500A, its exactly the same drive as the 2510A, then you can just use herries hacked firmware and makeit into a true 2510A. See i just saved you round $30 so can i have please
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Kamran
    Get the 2500A, its exactly the same drive as the 2510A, then you can just use herries hacked firmware and makeit into a true 2510A. See i just saved you round $30 so can i have please
    exactly what i did, works perfect.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Even better, get the Maddog one, which is just a 2500 in the maddog box, heck they dont even bother to try and disguise it like khypermedia does on the benq800. Anyway, get the maddog and last I looked there were tons of rebates, I think they pay you money when all is said and done.
    Or buy the one at newegg
    Quote Quote  
  8. Only certain 2500's have a DL optical pickup that you can hack, but if you try it on one that doesn't have that DL pickup, well.. Buy a DL just cause its the latest model out.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy
    Only certain 2500's have a DL optical pickup that you can hack, but if you try it on one that doesn't have that DL pickup, well..
    How can I find out if my 2500A has a DL pickup or not?

Also, what do you think the odds are that NewEggs 2500As have the DL pickup?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Trust Me 99.9% will and since ur getting a new one its for defo all their doing now is changing the fronst and putting on different firmwares to sell them at diff prices 1 drive 2models. trust me
    Quote Quote  
  11. all 2500s have DL pickup. its the exact same burner as the 2510 from factory except the firmware is updated from the start ont he xx10. The 2500a is what I have with herrie's firmware and it owns. Not only do you get DL but you also get region lock removed and riplock removed too. The 2510 is a ripoff if you know what your doing.

HideOut
    Quote Quote  
  12. CD-R Info has a review of this drive up today.

The drive uses the same chipset as the ND-2500A, namely the D63630. Clicking on the image above will reveal a high resolution image. Notice that inside the ND-2510A, there is a white barcode label with 2500A written on it!
    Click here for a large photo of the insides of the drive showing a 2500 sticker.

Picture of 2510a drive pickup head

Picture of 2500 drive pickup head.

Makes me wonder.

Maybe I'll get a 2500a, flash it to 2510a status and also get a Lite On 832s for kicks too.
    Quote Quote