VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recorded a 16x9 movie from my HD Directivo to the JVC DR-M10S using a DVD-RW in video mode. I was hoping that it would set the proper flags so it would play back properly on a 4x3 set. It didn't work. My understand is that the JVC is supposed to automatically set the flags based on the format of the source. Has anyone tried recording from a HD Directivo or have any other ideas on how to get this to work properly without having to copy the DVD to a PC and use Ifoedit to set the flags and then re-burn. Is there anyway to force the 16x9 flag on the JVC? Thanks.

Jay
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    stressbuster,

Could you give more specifics? Like:

1. What is your 4x3 TV set? Does it have 16x9 mode (Auto or Manual)?
    3. How is your JVC set up? 4x3 Letterbox or 4x3 Pan & Scan?

It may be couple reasons.

1. Your HD Directivo box doesn't send 16x9 flag when downconverting to 480i.
    You can check this by opening VIDEO_TS.IFO file from your recorded disk in IfoEdit. If it doesn't say 16x9 Pan & Scan and Letterbox for that title, it means your HD Directivo doesn't send that 16x9 flag, and it means SOL. But, if your 4x3 TV has 16x9 mode you can manually switch to it.

2. Your JVC is set up for 4x3 Pan & Scan.
    Check the set up of your JVC. If it is 4x3 Pan & Scan change it to 4x3 Letterbox

I recorded one tape with my Sony D8 cam in 16x9 mode. Then I recorded the video to JVC via FireWire. After ripping disk IfoEdit showed 16x9 Pan & Scan and Letterbox in VIDEO_TS.IFO. It means my Sony D8 cam sends 16x9 flag through FireWire. My JVC is set up for 4x3 Letterbox.. Disk played with black bars at the top and bottom, letterboxed, on my old 96 Panasonic TV.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by kabanero
    stressbuster,

Could you give more specifics? Like:

1. What is your 4x3 TV set? Does it have 16x9 mode (Auto or Manual)?
    3. How is your JVC set up? 4x3 Letterbox or 4x3 Pan & Scan?

It may be couple reasons.

1. Your HD Directivo box doesn't send 16x9 flag when downconverting to 480i.
    You can check this by opening VIDEO_TS.IFO file from your recorded disk in IfoEdit. If it doesn't say 16x9 Pan & Scan and Letterbox for that title, it means your HD Directivo doesn't send that 16x9 flag, and it means SOL. But, if your 4x3 TV has 16x9 mode you can manually switch to it.

2. Your JVC is set up for 4x3 Pan & Scan.
    Check the set up of your JVC. If it is 4x3 Pan & Scan change it to 4x3 Letterbox

I recorded one tape with my Sony D8 cam in 16x9 mode. Then I recorded the video to JVC via FireWire. After ripping disk IfoEdit showed 16x9 Pan & Scan and Letterbox in VIDEO_TS.IFO. It means my Sony D8 cam sends 16x9 flag through FireWire. My JVC is set up for 4x3 Letterbox.. Disk played with black bars at the top and bottom, letterboxed, on my old 96 Panasonic TV.
    Thanks for the reply. I have checked the resulting disk and it is flagged 4x3. When I manually change it with Ifoedit it works fine. It appears that either the HD Tivo is not sending the proper flag or that the JVC is not recognizing it properly. Has anyone done any recording via the s-video input of the JVC and had it set the 16x9 flag properly?

Jay
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stressbuster
    Has anyone done any recording via the s-video input of the JVC and had it set the 16x9 flag properly?

Jay
    I've done it. I forgot to mention it in my previous post. That D8 tape that was shot in 16x9 mode. I recorded 5 minutes of video from that tape to JVC three times via FireWire, S-Video, and Composite as three different titles. After finalizing I ripped that disk to PC. IfoEdit showed 16x9 flag for two titles recorded via FireWire and S-Video, but not Composite.

It leads to the conclusion that your HD Directivo doesn't send 16x9 flag through S-Video when downconverting. You can call their tech support and ask about that.
    Quote Quote