VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just recently downloaded a movie off the net and I just found out it is a PAL movie, which means I can’t watch it on my DVD player because my DVD player only accepts NTSC. This is all the info on the movie I downloaded MPEG2, PlayingTime=1916.360s, Bitrate=1882400bps, PtsOffset=0733s, 196593 packets

Video Stream: Motion Video, 480x576, 25fps (PAL), 2556kbps
    Audio Stream: Audio Standard MPEG layer2 Stereo, 44100Hz, 229376bps

Iam very new at this and really don’t know what any of this means, I tried using one of the guides for converting PAL to NTSC and couldn’t figure out how to do it. Iam going to be making an SVCD out of this file (iam putting it on a CD-R) But I need to know how to convert everything. Iam really confused with all of this, if any of this makes any sense then please help.

-Jay
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure your dvd player cant play pal svcd?My 2 year old ntsc apex 1500 can play pal scvd with no problems,try burning on a cd-rw and test it for playability.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have an apex also and I tried playen a copy of the movie and the movie ended up kinda lookin black and white and had thas black bar in the middle of the screen that would bob up and down.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've used TMPEG to encode PAL to NTSC and it seems to work. TMPEG will show PAL in the advanced tab,be sure to select NTSC in the video tab.
    DVD players I know convert PAL to NTSC

Sampo 612
    Norcent 302V
    Philips DVP642
    Koss KD305
    Daewoo 5800
    Quote Quote  
  5. ok iam still confused TMPGEnc can't change and mpeg file from PAL TO NTSC as far as I can tell, I thought it only changes avi files to mpeg files. Also I can't find this advanced tab.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should use DVD2AVI to get a D2V project file. This will also separate your audio file.

Convert the MP2 to PCM WAV. Then convert that PCM WAV to a new PCM WAV using BeSweet and the PAL (25fps) to NTSC (23.976fps) option.

Now feed the D2V project file into TMPGEnc as your VIDEO SOURCE and your newly created PCM WAV file as your AUDIO SOURCE.

Make sure you use the SVCD NTSC FILM template in WIZARD MODE. You will have to select NON-INTERLACED as your source and select DO NOT FRAME RATE CONVERSION.

That should work but if the PAL source is INTERLACED then you have to use Xesdeeni's method which requires using an AviSynth script.

There are guides that cover the details of all this.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Read my mini-guide here in this thread:

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=228302

That is for doing PAL to NTSC although like a said it will mostly likely only work correctly if the source is PROGRESSIVE 25fps PAL.

If it is INTERLACED 25fps PAL then you need to look at Xesdeeni's guide. I have also posted a lot of stuff on that. Use the search option on the website for my posts and Xesdeeni's guide is in our GUIDES SECTION here.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  8. My file is an PAL mpeg 2 file and I think all the information left by people in this post is for converting PAL avi files. Anyways the post left by FulciLives seems pretty helpful, but it seems like its only for converting the audio, don't you need to convert the video to, also I think this guide is for converting a PAL DVD to a NTSC DVD and iam trying to create an NTSC SVCD. Iam not sure if any of that made sense. Still kind of confused and seeking help.

-Jay
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by spiralnebula42o
    My file is an PAL mpeg 2 file and I think all the information left by people in this post is for converting PAL avi files. Anyways the post left by FulciLives seems pretty helpful, but it seems like its only for converting the audio, don't you need to convert the video to, also I think this guide is for converting a PAL DVD to a NTSC DVD and iam trying to create an NTSC SVCD. Iam not sure if any of that made sense. Still kind of confused and seeking help.

-Jay
    Did you even read that guide I posted a link too?

It is about as simple a guide as there is!

Just treat the MPEG-2 file you have like a VOB file. Run it through DVD2AVI as I've already said.

I can't see where you are confused ???

Quote Quote