VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. I have a bit of a problem that hopefully someone can help me with.

Every time I rip a DVD, I can't rip another one without rebooting the computer. If I put a new DVD in the drive, Windows XP won't recognize it. Thus, I can't rip it. However, I don't seem to have a problem burning one CD/DVD-R after another for some reason. Occasionally, I have a problem with CDs as well (can't read or rip another disc after reading the first one).

Hopefully I'm making sense. If any more info is needed, let me know. Thanks in advance.

-J.P.
    Knowledge is Power, For Real!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    after your rip is finished, open my computer, right click your drive and choose "Eject" rather than just pressing the button on the drive. windows sometimes gets confused about what disc is in there, doing "Eject" works for me when it's being a bitch
    Quote Quote  
  3. Cool. I'll try that. Thanks, flaninacupboard.

By the way, your name wouldn't happen to be a reference to Eddie Izzard's routine, would it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TenaciousJP
    Cool. I'll try that. Thanks, flaninacupboard.

By the way, your name wouldn't happen to be a reference to Eddie Izzard's routine, would it?
    Well done!! think that's the quickest recognition so far!

Freaked me out last time someone worked it out, he just responded to my next post as "hi eddie," which was damn weird because my name's Edd!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If I put a new DVD in the drive, Windows XP won't recognize it. Thus, I can't rip it.
    I gather that you mean that when you put a new disc in the drive, it still shows up as the previos DVD in Windows Explorer or My Computer ?

If so, it is a known problem with XP.

Change discs and go straight back into your ripping program. It knows the score and will work fine without having to reboot.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yeah, I remember the Flan in a Cupboard bit from his routine. Good stuff.

"Cake or death?"
    "Cake, please."
    "We're out of cake. Only had 3 bits, and didn't expect such a rush."
    "I'll have the chicken, then."
    "Here you are, sir. Tastes of human..."

jimmalenko, it's actually a different problem. When I put a new disc in the drive, it doesn't show up at all. In My Computer, when there is no disc in the drive, it usually just shows the icon of the CD drive with the drive letter. Normally, when you put in a disc, the icon changes to a disc icon and tells you what is in the drive.

I think I've tried going directly back to the ripping program, but all it said was "Waiting to read disc."

I'll definitely try those suggestions, though. Thank you both very much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    jimmalenko, it's actually a different problem. When I put a new disc in the drive, it doesn't show up at all. In My Computer, when there is no disc in the drive, it usually just shows the icon of the CD drive with the drive letter. Normally, when you put in a disc, the icon changes to a disc icon and tells you what is in the drive.
    I actually experienced something similar to what you have described with my Pioneer 106D. It seemed OK on the first disc, but either got warm or had a power overload after burning and wouldn't recognise anything without a reboot. I sent it back to Pioneer and they reflashed the firmware.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear in my previous post. Let me clarify:

Before putting the disc in the drive, it shows up as (drive letter): and the icon of the CD drive. When you put the DVD in, it dispalys the label of the disc. You rip this, then if you've only got the one DVD Drive you take this disc out and place a blank in the drive. If you've got two drives you put a blank in your second drive. If you were to go to My Computer now, it would be show the drive letter and the image of the CD drive for the drive that contains the blank.

The known issue comes from after usage of a DVD Drive (either burning or ripping), you remove a disc, put another one in and it still shows the label of the previous disc in My Computer. Double-clicking shows you the correct files, but sometimes the label just doesn't change to the new disc.

This is not your problem by the sound of it though.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    both my brother & cousin have a pioneer 107 & the same thing was happening with them , they had any dvd running all the time , all they did was when they stopped ripping & burning they would exit any dvd & the drive would operate as normal.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Well, I tried using Eject from My Computer, and I still have the problem.

Whenever I put a new disc in the drive, it hums disapprovingly at me, and nothing shows up on My Computer. When I try to right-click/explore the new disc, My Computer will just freeze until I eject the disc.

This problem is really getting to me, but I'm sure that I'll find a way to fix it somehow. Once again, thanks for the help, and any new suggestions would be very appreciated.

-J.P.
    Quote Quote  
  10. i found something about this problem, but i dont know if
    it will help you...
    read this > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314939&Product=winxp

by the way, did you try uninstalling the drive from the device manager
    and restarting the computer?
    might help
    HELL AINT A BAD PLACE TO BE
    Quote Quote