VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    This story is about dealings I had recently with www.NewEgg.com. It may be a little long but bear with me because it took a long time to write.

After getting a DVD Burner, I decided to buy a 25 pack of Optodisc 4x gold top DVD-Rs. I did this with the recommendation of nomorecoasters.com and Optorite compatiblity list. I bought a 25 pack from NewEgg for $20 with free shipping. I went through about 2/3 of this spindle with seemingly good results. I needed a lot more media so I bought four more spindles from NewEgg which came the next week. This is when I noticed that the first spindle discs were not that great, they had something like dirt near the edges that affected burns. After watching in full some of my movie backups, I realized that there were all sorts of other issues too. Most discs failed to verify at 4x with Nero and I had some bad burns even at 2x.

I opened up one of my new spindles and these discs actually had as much dirt and crap near the edges as the other spindle. By this time I had finished my first spindle and was well into my second.

So I emailed NewEgg and explained my situation. I told them that I had already used two spindles and these discs were bad. Even though their website stated "No refund, same item replacement only" I asked if I could send back my three unopened spindles and get a refund or store credit. They emailed me back quickly and said that I could get store credit and send back my three unopened spindles. They would not charge me a restocking fee either. So I bought a spindle of Maxell DVD-Rs for $63 and sent them back $60 worth of unopened but crappy Optodisc media. Today I received my bank statement and they had indeed made a deposit of $60 into my bank account. In other words, they gave me a $60 store credit refund.

My point is that NewEgg did not have to give me the oppurtunity to exchange media. Their media return policy is stated clearly on their site. They could have probably charged a 15% restocking fee as well but they chose not to. The company understands that loyal customers who will return to the store are more important than making a few extra bucks. They are correct to believe this since I would never have shopped at NewEgg again if they would not give me a refund.

I am currently very happy with my Maxell media and plan to buy more soon. So thanks NewEgg. This is my official endorsement of their store.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Newegg is hands down the greatest online retailer for computer parts and other related items. I haven't ever used them for media but if its the same customer service department then it should be just as good.

I had a similar situation only with much more money at stake. My $400 CPU was actually shipped damaged. One of the pins was bent and one was broken off and sitting in the little case. I've never seen this before. Newegg's warranty clearly states that they absolutely will not RMA broken or damages CPUs because the manufacturers will not fix or replace them for them. I called up expecting to totally go off on them simply because I was so screwed, and they actually said they would RMA it no questions asked. I got a new CPU in like 4 days and newegg took the $400 hit even though they really didn't have to.

If you read the reviews for all of their products you will see story after story like this. The manufacturer screws up and newegg picks up the slack. Great company. Rima.com is just as good from my experience as well. Those are the only two online retailers that I totally trust.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by adam
    Newegg is hands down the greatest online retailer for computer parts and other related items.
    I whole-heartedly agree. I buy with extreme confidence from newegg...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Competive pricing, online, no hassle RMA's, wide selection of products, and more times than not, free 1-2 day shipping...for me there is no where else to shop for most of my computer products.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think the best aspect of newegg is their unbiased user reviews. If a product they sell sucks and people leave bad reviews they just let all the bad reviews stay.
    Quote Quote  
  6. California merchants are bound by California's Consumer Implied Warranty of Merchantability codes. Basically, they warrant that the product they sell, WILL BE USABLE for the purpose of which it was designed. Retailers stand as agents of the DVD manufacturers, therefore they share injoint liability under our Consumer Protection Laws.

Because California is a LITERAL HAVEN for Class Action LAWSUITS, most California vendors and retailer are very forthcoming in offering refunds/credits -- no matter what their written policy states! This is ESPECIALLY true if that company HAS BEEN PUT ON NOTICE that a product they are selling is known to be with defect. For them to continue selling this product becomes Class Action suicide!

Over the years, I've returned about 12 DVD spindles to Newegg (All were Arita brand and Ridata Brand) due to defective media. It never crossed my mind that they would try to enforce their "Replacement for the same item only" Policy. Not once did Newegg refuse to recharge my credit card.

It amazes me how some companies will charge consumers a restocking fee for DOA merchandise. If you come across such an injustice, please complete a complaint at the link below and your case will be reviewed for potential legal standing.

https://www.bigclassaction.com/submit_form.html
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GKar
    for me there is no where else to shop for most of my computer products.
    I like the girls that come with orders over $200.
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, sorry. I thought you guys were talking about newbabe.com.
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    888888---you hit the damn nail right on the head!!!!! newegg is great!!! with all the BS about bad riteks, meritline......it is good to talk about a positive experience for once!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Because California is a LITERAL HAVEN for Class Action LAWSUITS, most California vendors and retailer are very forthcoming in offering refunds/credits --no matter what their written policy states! This is ESPECIALLY true if that company HAS BEEN PUT ON NOTICE that a product they are selling has a high rate of complaints due to defects. For them to continue selling this product becomes Class Action suicide!
    Tell that to some of the other online computer stores that operate out of California.
    Quote Quote  
  11. i've been their customer for about 2 yrs.....the BEST on line store, never had any problem, never had to return anything
    pictures, so you know what you buy, the best prices.....

you found the right place
    Quote Quote  
  12. Tell that to some of the other online computer stores that operate out of California
    I'd bet you that few, if any, of those companies ever recieve constructive legal notices regarding defective items from consumers. Sure, consumers will voice complaints to customer service reps, but few customers will ever make a formal complaint directly to the company's legal department/assigned.

I find that anytime you file a formal complaint to these e-Retailers on law firm/law office stationary, that company responds expeditiously to complaints.

If there is any benefit to subscribing to one of those monthly pre-paid legal services, it would the service they provide in writing letters of complaint and filing constructive notice on companies you are in dispute with.

It's sad that consumers would have to resort to such measures of filing complaints on legal stationary to get their complaints resolved, but that is reality in our day and time.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I AGREE WITH YOU 110%

I've bought from newegg many many times and I keep comming back for more. Not only is there service flawless, but there prices are the best on the net! They even beat prices you can find on ebay!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by westlaw
    It's sad that consumers would have to resort to such measures of filing complaints on legal stationary to get their complaints resolved, but that is reality in our day and time.
    Sniff.

Westlaw, if you are a litigator, you should look into cell company complaints. I'd be willing to bet their unhappy clients could put web store complainers to shame.
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Newegg is the only online computer related shop I deal with. Got the best deal I've ever seen on a Sony Trinatron 21" monitor. Not only did they have the lowest regular price, they also had an instant $120 rebate at the time of purchase. No other online retailer had the rebate. And to top it off, 2 day free shipping

Steve
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by leebo
    Sniff.

Westlaw, if you are a litigator, you should look into cell company complaints. I'd be willing to bet their unhappy clients could put web store complainers to shame.
    Yeah, those notorious cellphone companies. Even I've had problems with them. LOL

I sued SprintPCS in Small Claims Court back in 2001. They never appeared for the hearing and I won by default. I served the judgement on their legal department, and they paid the judgement within 10 days.

For some wierd reason, these companies never show up in small claims hearings. I think that's the key to dealing with many consumer complaints.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Bought things here through the years (not blank media), never had trouble.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by leebo
    Originally Posted by GKar
    for me there is no where else to shop for most of my computer products.
    I like the girls that come with orders over $200.
    Heh, if it came from California, are you sure it was a girl?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    California merchants are bound by California's Consumer Implied Warranty of Merchantability codes.......

This guy must need to see the bad in any good
    Quote Quote  
  20. is newegg a renamed egghead?
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stiltman
    is newegg a renamed egghead?
    Nope, I thought so at first too. It joined up with some auction site named Onsale.com then I lost track of it...I did get a great deal on my 21" Cybervision monitor that has been going strong for over 5 years through one of their auctions ($299) (Cybervision died so I'm lucky it has been going strong)
    Quote Quote