VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Just started hearing about VCds, never mind all this ripping, burning, scorching, chewing...Have a couple of questions so take a seat and put the kettle on:

1. If you get a vcd (copied) and it has all the different folders;vcd,mpegav,etc. To play on a stand alone dvd will it do it automatically or do you have to put the .dat file ONLY on new media? (does play on media player)

2. Tried film above on stand alone dvd (thomson dth4000) and won't play (keeps displaying no disk). Don't think its able to play cdr/w's but that does'nt seem to stop you if you change around the media. So do I have to change media and copy the vcd or do I have to burn or convert to some new format?

3. Lastly (I promise) whats the idea of burning, is that when you download a film from the net and burn to a cdr or what? Should i be burning for previous questions.

Excuse my ignorance,thanks in advance and god bless.

Quote Quote  
  2. mega,
    could be missing some headerz on the vcd if it wont play. or it could be encoded a a higher bitrate (xvcd). unless you use a program like winoncd or another that can read packet by packet (or w.ever its called) you may not get a good copy of your vcd.
    I've never been able to copy a vcd (cooked or official release, --official or not official vcd'z are another topic), successfully. So i opted to use vcdgear2.0 to extract the dat file to mpg then edit, add intros or other video clip, trailers, etc,, and then re-burn to a new vcd with nero.
    my 2¢
    ZtR
    Quote Quote  
  3. It all depends on how you copy the original VCD. If you simply copy folders (as you would with files on hard drives), it won't work on stand alone DVD players.
    I have only tried once by disc to disc copy and it works on one commercial VCD. No warranty that it's going to work on all of them.

Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!