VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. From what I've learned, Premiere Pro 1.5 has the same MainConcept encoder as 1.0, right? However if you BUY the MainConcept HD Mpeg Pro plugin for like $200-300 then you can edit in Mpeg-mode without having to convert to another format?

My question is this... the MainConcept HD Mpeg Pro plugin has a feature for HD and regular DVD, is the regular DVD Mpeg-2 it encodes any better than the basic version of MainConcept that comes with Premiere Pro? Or is it the same thing? Cause editing in Mpeg-2 mode doesn't REALLY interest me. Although I guess it'd be nice to have if ever I needed it, but I do want something that is better than the MainConcept encoder built into Premiere Pro 1.5. I just don't find it's that good, I prefer Canopus ProCoder but 1.5 doesn't plugin to Adobe Premiere Pro well. I may just bite the bullet and buy Canopus 2.0 though. Cause apparantly ProCoder Express 1.0 is the only thing that works well with Premiere Pro. I think I read that somewhere, anyone know if it's true?

That brings me to another question actually do ProCoder 1.5 and ProCoder 1.0 Express use the same engine and yield IDENTICAL results? What's the difference. Based on version number alone, I would think 1.5 is an improved version of the engine and would perform a better encode.

Any one know?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Main Concept HD Mpeg Encoder uses the same engine as Standalone v1.42 encoder. I'm still using Premiere Pro v1.0, so I don't know what v1.2 uses. The version that comes with Premiere Pro is diferent than the standalone. It's a great encoder, I don't know why you don't like it. I think it's better than CCE and Tempenc, though I never tried Procoder.

Main Concept HD Mpeg Encoder will let you edit Mpegs. It worked great during my tests. I don't like the way it does still images and tittles though.

If you want to use Procoder, then simply use a FrameServer like Debugmode PluginPac FrameServer. You can then use any encoder you want.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks. I have a question about Frameserving too actually.

Can you carry over chapters? That's one thing that at the moment the MainConcept Mpeg Pro HD encoder can't do (as of 1.04 but will be fixed in 1.05)

Will frameserving to Adobe Canopus allow me to cut chapter points in Premiere encode to Mpeg-2 and then throw into EncoreDVD / DVD-Lab?

Or will I have to recut chapters after Mpeg-2 encoding is done?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As far as I know, you'll have to set your chapter pionts in your Authoring App. I could be wrong though.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote