VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello again everybody,

I'm making backup copies of some commercial DVD's.
    Recently I backuped "The return of the King" in PAL French.
    The copy I get works fine : it is in french, but english subtitles appear everytime a word is pronounced.

What did I do ? In DVD shrink there is an option like "set default streams" for audio and subtitles, I have left the subtitle option to "Let DVD player choose" and the audio option left to default "french".

What I would like to achieve is : french audio and only french subtitles when Elfic is spoken, i.e this is what you get when one browses through the DVD menus and chooses french as a language or just hits play movie on any french PAL DVD.

Could anybody help me out of this trouble ?

Thanks in advance
    jacobus serpenti
    Be yourself and be happy in what you do
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's an option in Preferences,Hide Subtitle Streams of insignificant size.
    You should uncheck this option. Some subtitle strems are so small they don't get listed and are therefor un-available to delete unless this option is unchecked. This could be your problem.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Another possibility is there are no French subtitles available.In either case you could set your DVD player to display French or no subtitles in setup.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Thanks for your replies, but I haven't provided enough info for an accurate answer.

Within DVD Shrink, I selected the main movie, the french 5.1 audio stream only (not the english ones, aka 5.1 and DTS), and all the subtitles (french, english, french forced and english forced) since the files are small.

Then, by right clicking on the main movie you get "set default streams", forcing audio to french and, for the subtitles, "let the DVD player select during play back". So I thought that the player would select french subtitles since the audio is forced to french. But apparently not.

So again what I need is the following : french audio (that's ok) but french subtitles when elfic is spoken. This occurs when one browes through the DVD menu's and selects the required language. Since I ripped only the main movie, there aren't such menus and choices anymore.

So what do I have to do within DVD shrink ?

Looking forward
    jacobus
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi all.

Jacobus, why haven't you selected for the "French Forced" subpicture stream to be played automatically (just like you did for the French audio stream)?
    ddlooping
    For DVD Shrink guides & goodies: DVDShrink.info
    My "other" site: Teaching-Tools
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello ddlooping,

I'll give it a try. I only hope that it will not display subtitles all the time!

Best regards
    Jacobus
    Quote Quote  
  7. Jacobus, to save time you could use DVD Shrink "Start/End" feature to backup a chapter where Elfic is being spoken.
    Then, play the backup from your hard-drive - i.e, using "DVD From Folder" in WinDVD, not by playing the files individually - and see if the subpictures appear as you want them to.
    ddlooping
    For DVD Shrink guides & goodies: DVDShrink.info
    My "other" site: Teaching-Tools
    Quote Quote