VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Would a VHS/DVD combo or DVD Recorder allow "custom" settings enabling increased length VHS tapes, (6-8hrs), to fit on a single DVD, or are there standard settings that keep the time limit to 4hrs.-?

Thanx!

John
    Quote Quote  
  2. if you go above 4 hrs on the dvd, the quality is really bad, even for a vhs source.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have the panasonic E60 - it supports up to 6 hours as a standard setting, and supports flexible recording times, not sure the maximum time limit. The results at 6 hours will probably be pretty poor though. You probably have to run a test and see if it is acceptable for your purposes.

E
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why would you want to ruin your DVD with 4 To 6 Hrs. of Vhs. Trash in & Trash out.
    Quote Quote  
  5. e55 does 8 hours per disk. I wonder how that looks?
    Quote Quote  
  6. The bitrate on 6hrs is lower than I make vcds at, a good tape will work at 4hrs. crummy tape, take it down to 2hrs,a really bad tape doens't record at all. at least on a Philips DVDR-75,
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Let me clarify:

I am not that interested in improving upon quality of the source VHS; I can do that via my PC with my capture card, frameserving/filters and encoding software. If there is room for improvement via standalone units (ie: TBC, etc.), it would be an added benefit.

I am interested in the SAME quality as the original VHS and especially fitting the same length of these VHS tapes (6-8hrs. EP), on a single DVD as a mere .mpg1 or .avi.

Questions:

1. Can I record from a VHS with either a VHS/DVD recorder or standalone DVD Recorder from VHS to DVD?

2. If yes, than can I actually record 6-8hrs. EP VHS to fit on a single DVD?

3. If so, what VHS/DVD Combos or DVD Recorders are recommended and proven to have done this?

Thanx for all of your input!

John
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have tested out many, many recorders. The LiteOn 5001 in my hands right now, on this hacked firmware 1163, is seeminlgy doing an ADAPTIVE deinterlace on the 352x240 6-hour mode. That's nice. It's not drop-frame like others (even the JVC is drop). I'm finding acceptable quality on it, for those things that do not need best scenario encoding. It is also very block-free.

Your mileage may vary.

I'm still testing, no final conclusions yet.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanx PapaSmurf,

I'd be interested in hearing your results as to fitting 6+ hrs. of VHS on a DVD at this resolution.

Thanx again!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was also wondering if VHS/DVD Combos have "6 hr." modes?

I assume with this specific Lie-On model, one would have to hookup a VCR via RCA Cables, etc. in order for it to record from VHS?

Thanx,

John
    Quote Quote