VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I was at J@R Music and Computer World today in New York and I found them selling 50 pack spindles of Maxell yellow top DVD-Rs for 59.99. You also have to pay New York's horrendous sales tax which would come out to like $65. This is not a fantastic price but about as much or even a few bucks cheaper than people usually pay for Maxell DVD-R media online. Plus, this is an especially good deal for people who don't like to buy from online stores and prefer to shop at brick\mortar stores. J@R is pretty good with returns too but I don't know their policy on media. I would imagine media code is mxlrg02 or possibly TY.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 888888
    I was at J@R Music and Computer World today in New York and I found them selling 50 pack spindles of Maxell yellow top DVD-Rs for 59.99. You also have to pay New York's horrendous sales tax which would come out to like $65. This is not a fantastic price but about as much or even a few bucks cheaper than people usually pay for Maxell DVD-R media online. Plus, this is an especially good deal for people who don't like to buy from online stores and prefer to shop at brick\mortar stores. J@R is pretty good with returns too but I don't know their policy on media. I would imagine media code is mxlrg02 or possibly TY.
    Good price. That's ten bucks less (per 100) than I paid at meritline for the yellow-top branded Maxell
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just went on their website and the deal is good there too + $4.95 S&H

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Id=3977370&Product_Name=MAXELL+635053+...Recordable+DVD
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Capmaster
    Good price. That's ten bucks less (per 100) than I paid at meritline for the yellow-top branded Maxell
    I think it goes without saying that Maxell mxlrg media is awesome and totally worth it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Capmaster
    I think it goes without saying that Maxell mxlrg media is awesome and totally worth it.
    No coasters yet. We were still using Optodisc golds on the E50, but we just got a bunch of coasters with those. So now it's strictly Maxell for both the standalone and the PC burner.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Been at the store today. Down to 49.99 with proportionally lower tax.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To anyone who has purchased these - can you describe the top of the discs? Are they shiny or matte silver, or another color? If there is anything printed on the disc - where is it located? I want to order a few batches of these, but I have a thermal printer (Casio cw-50), which prints at the top and bottom, and want to be sure they are compatible.

Thanks for any info,

Roy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by godbeer
    To anyone who has purchased these - can you describe the top of the discs? Are they shiny or matte silver, or another color? If there is anything printed on the disc - where is it located? I want to order a few batches of these, but I have a thermal printer (Casio cw-50), which prints at the top and bottom, and want to be sure they are compatible.

Thanks for any info,

Roy
    They have a yellow top with MAXELL branding on it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a picture:

I bought a couple 10 packs at WALMART that came with an insert advertising the Casio printers (the model you mentioned as well as the step-up model that does NOT require a computer connection) claiming that they print on these Maxell DVD-R discs.

A friend of mine has one of the CASIO printers (the step-up model) and uses it (without a computer connection) to print on Taiyo Yuden 4x DVD-R discs that he buys at RIMA.COM for a cheaper price than you can buy the Maxell 4x DVD-R discs.

I buy the Maxell discs alot myself becaues rarely do I need to purchase 50 or 100 which is how you must buy the Taiyo Yuden discs from RIMA.COM

I think I actually like Taiyo Yuden discs a bit better but the last time I bought two packs of the 10 packs of Maxell discs (again at WALMART) they were Taiyo Yuden though the most recent 10 pack I bought was MAXELL

The Taiyo Yuden discs looked the same i.e., yellow top.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen some Green toppped Maxell DVD-R discs.
    Any idea what the Media ID on those is?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I've bought about 4 Maxell DVD-R 50 packs from J&R spanning 3 months and they've all been TYG01 for me. Nice to hear about the price drop!

-Shmorq
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by richdvd
    I've seen some Green toppped Maxell DVD-R discs.
    Any idea what the Media ID on those is?
    RITEKG03 or MXLRG01
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I work right across the street from J&R. I'm going to pickup a pack of Maxell today.

Thanks
    When it sounds too good to be true, it usually is!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bronx
    I work right across the street from J&R. I'm going to pickup a pack of Maxell today.

Thanks
    Do you work pan-handling in city hall park? That's what is across J@R!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

No. I work in the Woolworth Building on Broadway and Park Place.
    When it sounds too good to be true, it usually is!!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Now that Ty's or MXL media down to a buck why would anyone take a chance with anything else?? For those who need a bargain, stock up when they are on sale or 2 for 1 at OD.
    I have never had a coaster or bad burn with made in Japan media.
    Quote Quote