VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. If you hide a chapter on a DVDR, finalize and then put the disc into another player, the chapter is no longer hidden?

I taped a movie from TV last night that has about 5 minutes of commercials at beginning. So I created a new chapter marker right at start of movie and then hid previous chapters so that when I start disc, it starts right at beginning of movie. Works fine on my DVDr75 but when I play it another player, the inserted chapter marker is not there and the hidden chapter is not hidden.

What good is this feature if is doesn't carry over to another player?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You did that with you standalone player or with an authoring program ??

If you used your standalone or a sofware playing, the settins are only kept on the player where you set this chapter point.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If its useless, delete it. If you feel there is a need to recover it, you hide it. The maximum # of thumbnails/titles is 48, if you hide one of the title, you will be able to split another title, creating another title.
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don't think Philips cares if the hidden chapters show up on other players. Guess, they expect you to replay the movie on the DVDR75, which I have had for approx. 7mos now, and except for that, I like it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sam, when you say delete it, do you mean I could put in a chapter marker at the start of the film and then delete the first chapter (the commercials before)? Looking at the directions, it mentions hiding chapters or deleting titles but nothing about deleting chapters.

thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You split the title with commercial from the main part and end up with 2 thumbnails. Then you press "Disc", the thumbnails comes up. You select the commercial part and delete it. Make sure you have at least 2 thumbnails before you delete the commercial "Title", or everything will be deleted.
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks. I've already finalized this one but good to know for next one.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by gfrobe
    If you hide a chapter on a DVDR, finalize and then put the disc into another player, the chapter is no longer hidden?
    From DVD+R/RW Recorder FAQ:
    While all of these features are also available for DVD+R discs, the write-once nature of such discs prevents the edits to be recorded in a DVD-Video compatible way, as they need to update the info already written on the disc. This means that the chapter stops you create afterwards, or the chapters you made hidden, will only be visible on the recorder itself. Consider these convient access features for your own use. Chapters stops that are made during recording (by pressing the Edit/FSS key) are DVD compatible and can be used on a DVD-player.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gil T Pleasure
    Originally Posted by gfrobe
    If you hide a chapter on a DVDR, finalize and then put the disc into another player, the chapter is no longer hidden?
    From DVD+R/RW Recorder FAQ:
    While all of these features are also available for DVD+R discs, the write-once nature of such discs prevents the edits to be recorded in a DVD-Video compatible way, as they need to update the info already written on the disc. This means that the chapter stops you create afterwards, or the chapters you made hidden, will only be visible on the recorder itself. Consider these convient access features for your own use. .......
    This is what the +R/RW alliance would like to see what a +R/RW can do in future. Unfortunately, Philips has no ability to implement it at this juncture!
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
  10. I think the DVDR75 has an option 'Make edits compatible'. Using this might make the edits, hidden chapters work properly in other machines.
    Quote Quote