VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Do You Still Make VCD/SVCD/CVD/Mini-DVD Disks?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    With the prices of DVD burners as low as they are, Do You Still Make VCD/SVCD/CVD/Mini-DVD Disks?

Nope. DVD-R all the way!
    Quote Quote  
  2. on occasion, but not often, I'll either put little creations I've made together...stuff with effects, experimental projects or still images.

Everything else goes on DVD-R or +RW
    Quote Quote  
  3. Never from DVD to VCD/SVCD/CVD/Mini-DVD.

Time to time convert rmvb, mov or wmv files to VCD/SVCD to play in the DVD player.

By the way, which DVD is the best for 'the Beatle'?

I got all the Beatle CDs & some LPs. Still have none of their DVD yet.

Quote Quote  
  4. Actually all I make is VCDs, or xVCD since I don't have a dvd burner in this 2.2g box. Wouldn't be hard to move on to dvd, but really I'm not that picky and I can get 99% of my dvds to 1 cdr with (what I concider) very good quality.

Why invest another $50-$100 for the burner and up to $2-$5 per dvd when I already have the equipment to make very good vcds on cd-r at approx $0.15 per movie/cdr?

One day yes, right now no.

Sabro
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did make one a few weeks ago. My wife bought one of a Thai comedy show that was so washed out, I had to see if I can do better. I would say how it turned out, but modesty is having a tough time letting me tell you.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes-VCD
    Compatibilty of VCD/cdr is better than DVD/DVD-r.
    Sure I make DVD-r too,
    But I give alot of my stuff to friends,
    (videos of corporate environmental damage) and giving
    away tons of DVD can be pricey.
    Give em the cheap stuff.
    Also, much faster to copy.
    There's also something sorta "underground" about VCD that
    appeals to me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes-VCD, SVCD
    Quote Quote  
  8. Only DVD's now, has been for a while.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Sometimes I do capture short videos to SVCD.

"Movies That Aren't Worth A DVD Backup" I burn them to PRINCO DVD-R
    You stop me again whilst I'm walking and I'll cut your fv<king Jacob's off.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Very very rarely, but sometimes, depending on the quality of the source.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I use mini-DVD (dvd file structure on a CD) for backing up miscelaneous special features of up to 30 minutes. DVD2one does a great job of compressing for this (and for "making of" type special features that are often mostly talking head shots, I'm not so picky about the video quality.) The main movie goes on DVD with little or no compression, and then I'll back up disc extra features as mini-DVDs. This has the advantage that one can ultimately transfer the content back to a DVD (for a "best of" special features compilation.)

I have a stand-alone DVD player that plays mini-DVD, so this works well for me. I understand that this feature is still rare for standalone DVD players.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Still make XVCDs. There are some DVDs that are nothing more than the menu and the movie so those I'd rather just copy to XVCD.
    I still do it mainly because since there are other formats out there like KVCD I still want to try them out and see how they look. Mainly use them if the video is too short or of not enough quality to warrant burning to a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For once-offs and by request, yes. Maybe 1 every 2 months.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Still making SVCDs for same reason as Sabro. CDs are cheaper than DVD media.

Being a family man doesn't help either. When my SVCDs look as good as the DVD (arguable, I know... but on my TV they look the same) it's hard to justify to my darling wife the cost of a DVD writer and DVD media for backups when the kids need shoes and school clothes and other non-essentials like food.

Someday....
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    CVD's mostly. I haven't made a VCD in at least 8 months. I love making CVD's, etc.. I would like to try making DVDs, but it's kind of nice making a DVD fit onto cd-r's rather than going to easy route with DVD2ONE, DVD Shrink, etc..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i like mini dvds. Same as DVD just on a CD easy to make and cheaper media. a great way to test out menus and the like and 15-20 min is plenty of time to fit the Colonator!

Have fun stormin' the castle!

Rog
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mostly, I do DVD.

I do xCVDs, but not as I use to. I mostly burn them for testing or temporary storing of material I need to see but ain't enough for a DVD-R

I never made VCDs for me, but when friends ask me for something specific, I give them to VCD only.
    Low quality for free, for better quality, go buy the damn thing I say!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SKVCD,KVCD, for me,will buy a DVD burner when my CD burner stops working(it's nearly four years old and still going strong,thanks LG) But will then put several films on to one DVD.
    Oscar.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Oscar wallace
    But will then put several films on to one DVD.
    I already do that with KDVD
    At 352x240 mpeg2 you can get your complete season of Seinfeld or simpsons or your favourite tv series on one DVD. About eighteen 45 minute episodes
    You say, can't be done? I thought so too
    Until I read this: http://kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8148&highlight=kdvd+episodes
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Still make VCDs amd SVCDs, usually of stuff I've got from my camcorder or stuff I've captured from TV. The average 1 hour show is only about 45 mins by the time you've taken the ad breaks out so you can crank up the bitrate on 700Mb CDR.

My DVDs are mostly TV series stuff done as VCD on DVD.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  21. Should have moved on but haven't. 1/2 DVD all the time. Still waiting for price of DVD media to go down even further
    Quote Quote  
  22. If I have a short film, say up to an hour, I may still make a xVCD. I don't chase ultra ultra quality because most of my stuff is VHS conversion, but as long as it is watchable with good quality I am happy.

Also I feel that anything under an hour is a waste of a DVD-R. 8)

However, I also do a fair amount of VCD quality onto DVD-R. Best I have done so far is five hours. I am sure I could do more, but that was as long as the videos were.
    Cole
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I still transcode my DVDs to 8-track. If I need backups of those, downsample to cuniform.
    Quote Quote  
  24. No more VCD for me. I do use 352x480 resolution though....
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do a lot of TV shows onto CDR or CDRW. Luckily my main player supports mini-DVD, so it's not wasted effort. I don't get upset when my youngest trashes a 15 cent CDR, she jsut goes without until Dad makes her a new one.

I've taught my teenage son to cpature and edit. He's currently using his summer to do South Park "best of's" such as Every segment where Kenny does or Cartman Hates "you guys". There's no reason to put it onto DVDR (although I will), but he does VCD/SVCD because that's good enough for him and it works in all his friends players.
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  26. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Never did, probably never will.

They served their purpose when DVD creation was fringe and expensive, but, like the 8-track, people have left it for a better way
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmmm. Was there never a tgpo option on this one? I must have forgotten to update the poll before I submitted it.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Still burn em when I make new compilations from my existing VCD's. Just to lazy to re-encode I suppose, also the quality is bad enough with out doing another compression cycle on em!
    Quote Quote  
  29. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tgpo
    Hmmmm. Was there never a tgpo option on this one? I must have forgotten to update the poll before I submitted it.
    Most people just put in the TGPO option as a default. I do too
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by tgpo
    That avatar! Was that "Mike Tyson's Punch Out"?
    Quote Quote