VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have WIN98SE (PIII 800Mhz, 320Mb memory) and tried to transfer DV from my SOny TRV27 to the PC using winDV. I believe it is a wonderful program but the problem I face is that at the end of DV transfer (via firewire card) from the miniDV cassette to PC I see only 18mins of .avi file captured and the corresponding file size is 3.99 GB.

What could be the problem. Why has it not captured/transferred the entire 1hr of miniDV cassette to the PC.

I have used type-2 AVI and max avi size (frames) is 100000, allother settings i left them at default values.

Can anyone advise??

Cheers
    Bobbs
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    win98 uses a file system called fat32. this limits files to 4 gigabytes in size.

upgrade to windows 2000 or windows XP. 2k would be preferable given your system specs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks... Tonight I will make it dual boot and load WIN2K but then do I need to convert to NTFS as well ? Mine is a HP BRIO BA300 and I need to find the driver files as it had come with the win98 image when i bought it in 2001 ?

Cheers
    Bobbs
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes, you need NTFS for files over 4gigs, which win98 can't understand without a complex work around. if you have a spare hard drive it's better to install 2k on that, and make that NTFS. 2k will see both drives, 98 will only see it's own.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The easier and less drastic option is to just let WINDV split the captures in seperate AVI files.
    I also do that with my captures. So much easier to edit or remove unwanted scenes...
    Quote Quote  
  6. How do I let WINDV split the captures in seperate AVI files if this is a workaround

In anycase I have two separate seagate drives (20G & 40G) and intend to load 2K on 40G with NTFS partitioning. I will not be able use/see the 40G if I boot with 98 but otherway round I can have both..

Thanks again.

BTW I hear scenalyser can solve the 4GB problem but then how good is the transferred DV for subsequent editing.

Cheers
    Bobbs
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    not sure about segemented capture with winDV, never used it. segmented is ok if you have software which can read it (TMPGenc and virtualdub will both autoload additional segments, which is good enough for most peoples' needs)
    Scenalyser does do segmented, but it's not freeware.

2K and NTFS will relieve not only this headache, but when you realise you want to output your DVD mpeg file and it's more than 4 gigs too
    Plus if you ever want to rip a DVD to .iso over 4 gigs.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes WinDV is an excellent prog for its size... but one question - there's a check box right next to the config button. it is not obvious what this button does... anyone??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The checkbox enables WinDV to control the camera, ie start it playing when you capture.

http://windv.mourek.cz/ has the explanations
    Quote Quote