VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. ive started to get the hang of decoding with mplayer but it fails to create a single mpg so ive tried muxing them together but the syncing is terrible,

required(DTS)=2571000
    ++ WARN: [mplex] Video e0: buf= 233219 frame=000701 sector=00004110
    ++ WARN: [mplex] Audio c0: buf= 4096 frame=001168 sector=00000342
    **ERROR: [mplex] Too many frame drops -exiting

too many frames??
    Quote Quote  
  2. Which kind of settings (bitrate, profile, etc) did you use to encode it?
    Quote Quote  
  3. mpeg2 (mpeg2enc)
    video bitrate: 2300
    video size: 352x576
    audio codec:mp2
    audio bitrate: 224
    sampling: 48000hz
    Mode: CBR
    profile: generic Mpeg-2
    Q Matrix: Standard
    Interlace: Not interlaced
    Thread: Normal
    vbv Size: 230kb
    Sync: 0 ms
    QMin: 5

is that enough info? thanks for your help
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try to use XSVCD profile instead of generic mpeg-2.
    Quote Quote  
  5. slightly better but still compltely out of sync any other ideas or should i just give up?
    Quote Quote  
  6. If it is out of sync then it should be an encoding problem, not a mux problem. Did you change framerate going from source to destination? Did you use "Decode with mplayer" or "Decode with Quicktime"? Which framerate was your source?
    Quote Quote  
  7. video[24pm] 480x360 24bpp 23.98
    fps 1017.8kbs (124.2 kbyte/s)
    audiocodec:framecopy (format =55
    chans =2 rate =44100 bits =0 bps=23999

thats the source info, then i chose a high dvd preset and changed it from nstc to pal, could the pal change over be anything to do with it?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, you should always keep the same framerate as the source movie to be safe.
    Quote Quote  
  9. thanks major, but now i cant watch the dvd on certain dvd players is there any way of getting around this?
    Quote Quote  
  10. If you absolutely need to change framerate, you should prefer "Decode with quicktime" though such conversion is always sound-sync risky.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by punkface
    now i cant watch the [NTSC] dvd on certain [PAL] dvd players
    [nitpick]
    Almost all DVD players sold in PAL countries play both kinds of discs. These multi-standard players can partially convert NTSC to a 60-Hz PAL (4.43 NTSC) signal. It’s the old/simple tv sets in PAL countries that can’t handle such a signal.
    Most NTSC players can’t play PAL discs.
    [/nitpick]
    Quote Quote  
  12. i have quite a smart dvd player which plays nstc, but what i was aiming for was my gf's ps2 which plays nstc encoded in black and white

oh well
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the black and white picture is stable (i.e. not rolling), then the tv set understands PAL-60. Then she can get a color image if she connects with an RGB signal through a full SCART cable.
    Quote Quote  
  14. the pictures fine apart from the fact its black and white, whats this you say about a RGB signal? this would be great because we have quite a few nstc dvds, please tell me more...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    XBOX usually delivers Composite Video output + Stereo output. With an "Advanced" cable, users can enjoy RGB video (& optical SPDIF audio).
    I suppose you'll have to change a setting in the On Screen Display to switch from Composite Video to RGB.
    Assuming that the tv set has a SCART input socket, and supports RGB signal input. SCART can carry Composite, S-Video and RGB, so not all tv sets with SCART are required to accept RGB (but most do). Picture sharpness and colour quality will be noticeably better with RGB.
    I think the XBOX SCART output socket is non-standard, so an ordinary SCART cable (with all 21 pins connected (needed for RGB)) is no good. One side of the cable has to fit the XBOX after all. So you'll need the XBOX version of the cable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Different method, but it should work. Results should be similar to a DVD Player than can do NTSC to true PAL internally.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Or if worse comes to worse, the Apex 1225 is running 39.00 USD, and can play pretty much anything, I've got one, and it's just fine for NTSC/PAL
    Quote Quote