VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello. I just want to know whats exactly "analog pass throu" and how to do it. I have an idea of what it is. And someone knows if the sony dc trv350 or the jvc gr-d31 has this feature?
    thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You're probably referring to analog to DV pass-through using a digital camcorder. Some of them have this convenient feature... the lowest priced models usually do not.

For example, let's say you have a older analog (8mm, Hi8, VHS-C) camcorder and tapes. If you want to make copies of the tapes to a digital format, you'll have to hook up the video and audio outputs of the camcorder to some type of device that can convert the analog A/V signals to digital.

Of course, you could make digital videotape copies of the older analog tapes with a MiniDV or Digital8 camcorder. However, some digital camcorders have a "pass-through" feature that allows the converted analog A/V signals from your older camcorder to simply stream through the DV firewire output without recording to tape. This DV Firewire output can be sent to a computer to be captured to .AVI files for editing.

Check the instructions on your particular digital camcorder to see if this is a feature it has.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Analog to digital pass through allows you to connect an analog source (vcr) to your camcorder and at the same time connect a the firewire output of the camcorder to your pc for transfering video. A great feature to have. The Sony DCR-TRV350 has this feature as I believe most all Sony cam's. Couldn't find whether the JVC unit has this though the JVC-GRD33 does have the feature. I believe the D33 is the successor of the D31. You can find out more info on these cam's at camcorderinfo.com. Hope this helped!
    Mark
    Quote Quote