VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 22 of 22
Thread
  1. Member 888888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Turdistan
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone tried the Unifino media they sell on NewEgg? What is the media code?

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-130-704&depa=0
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member 888888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Turdistan
    Search Comp PM
    From this website: http://www19.big.or.jp/~shine/dvd/unifino.htm

    Media code'-block
    ** INFO : Hex Dump Of 'Media Code'-Block Listed Below
    ** INFO : 4-Byte Header Preceding 'Media Code'-Block Discarded
    ** INFO : Format 0Eh - Pre-Recorded Information In Lead-In
    0000 : 01 40 c1 fd 9e d8 52 00 02 87 0d 11 66 78 80 00 .@....R.....fx..
    0010 : 03 55 54 4a 52 30 30 00 04 31 30 30 31 00 00 00 .UTJR00..1001...
    0020 : 05 a8 82 00 20 00 02 00 06 09 11 11 87 78 90 00 .... ........x..
    0030 : 07 a8 82 00 20 00 00 00 08 05 16 0d 10 0a 09 00 .... ...........
    0040 : 09 97 07 0e 0b 58 88 00 0a c0 00 00 00 00 10 00 .....X..........
    0050 : 0b 07 1c 13 a8 89 65 00 0c b6 89 88 80 00 00 00 ......e.........
    0060 : 0d 00 00 d0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
    0070 : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
    0080 : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
    0090 : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
    00a0 : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
    00b0 : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
    00c0 : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
    00d0 : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
    00e0 : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
    00f0 : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

    This media may be made in Japan according to reviews of the UTJ media code in the media list section. I wonder why NewEgg would not capitalize on it being made in Japan, or why I have never heard of this manufacturer before. Very weird. Feedback would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds Mexican. :P
    Quote Quote  
  4. Feedback would be appreciated.
    Don't buy them!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Just because most Cadillac media is made in Japan, doesn't necessarily mean this is "A1" media....As the past has shown, Japanese products are most common to fakes (TY & Maxell).

    But if your willing to try it, please post your findings.

    Thanks much
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by mr. anderson
    Feedback would be appreciated.
    Don't buy them!
    I tend to agree with the above statement. Although Unifino discs are made in Japan, the quality is not as good as TY and Maxell and they are not well known outside Japan, therefore less firmware support from non-Japanese manufacturers of DVD burners. Just my two cents.

    The following Japanese website conducts quite a few DVD burner tests with all sorts of DVD media brands, and the Unifino brand is at best slightly above average compared to always excellent TY and Maxell.

    CD-R Laboratory website with English Translation
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member 888888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Turdistan
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kcfoulk
    Originally Posted by mr. anderson
    Feedback would be appreciated.
    Don't buy them!
    therefore less firmware support from non-Japanese manufacturers of DVD burners.
    That's a good point. Even if these discs ARE good, I would not risk buying them because Optorite does not list that media code as compatible. Thanks for the info.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    CA
    Search Comp PM
    does it really matter who makes it? if you want to buy quality product, then buy Ritek DVDR, if you want to save money and don't care about quality, then take a look of those site out there like www.meriltine.com www.shop4tech.com www.rima.com and so on, buy their cheapest media and see which one work out for you. what is matter to find out who is the maker?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member 888888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Turdistan
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 500AX
    does it really matter who makes it? if you want to buy quality product, then buy Ritek DVDR, if you want to save money and don't care about quality, then take a look of those site out there like www.meriltine.com www.shop4tech.com www.rima.com and so on, buy their cheapest media and see which one work out for you. what is matter to find out who is the maker?
    From what I have read, I don't consider Ritek that good of a media. I am currently using Maxell mxlrg02 DVD-Rs that are coasterless. They are made in Japan and expensive but worth it considering the time and money one would waste on coasters. I was hoping that with UNIFINO, I had found another 1st class media but cheaper.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    8888888 you never know until you try. Maybe it is? Maybe it isn't.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    8888888 you never know until you try. Maybe it is? Maybe it isn't.
    Who's 8888888?...oh, you mean 888888.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hawseman
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    8888888 you never know until you try. Maybe it is? Maybe it isn't.
    Who's 8888888?...oh, you mean 888888.
    I mashed down the 8 key and hoped it was close enough.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member 888888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Turdistan
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hawseman
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    8888888 you never know until you try. Maybe it is? Maybe it isn't.
    Who's 8888888?...oh, you mean 888888.
    Thanks Hawseman, I'm glad some people understand the true meaning and spelling of my name, which is 6 8s, not just a mashed up number of 8s. Of course I forgive lordsmurf since he is probably busy with his site and also busy looking at catalogs full of TBCs.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member 888888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Turdistan
    Search Comp PM
    Just checked the site again. They are now $43 with free shipping for a 100 spindle. If they are still MIJ, then they would have to be the cheapest MIJ media I have ever seen at any speed.

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-130-705&depa=0

    Somebody should probably risk it and buy some.
    Quote Quote  
  15. well.. I made some online research and found nothing but good stuff especially on http://forum.cdfreaks.com/index.php? under the media section. So i decided to try them.. I order the 50 pack for 19.99 with free shiping or $0.40 a disk. I will post my experiences as soon as I get them.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member 888888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Turdistan
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pete2828
    well.. I made some online research and found nothing but good stuff especially on http://forum.cdfreaks.com/index.php? under the media section. So i decided to try them.. I order the 50 pack for 19.99 with free shiping or $0.40 a disk. I will post my experiences as soon as I get them.
    Good job pete. Post if they are made in Japan or Taiwan or other when you get the spindle.

    And maybe do some tests with an Optorite DD0201 DVD burner which is my drive for compatability (just kidding).
    Quote Quote  
  17. The Media SUCKS..

    This is done in the Pioneer 107 using FW 1.18



    And this is one done in the Plex 712A FW1.03

    Rick
    Quote Quote  
  18. $34.99 w_free shipping today. dumping?
    Quote Quote  
  19. well the 50 pack for $19.99 finally arrived.. New egg took forever to proccess and ship them. Each disc is about $0.40. The package is exactly as advertised. The discs are made in Japan. As a mater of fact it says "100% made in Japan" on every disc. The discs were packed with high quality packing inside the spindle. The actual discs look very similar to the dye used by MCC or verbatim discs. Inspection od the dye confirms that the dye is flawless. Here is the media code from DVDinfopro:
    Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
    Media code/Manufacturer ID UTJR001001
    Format Capacity Not Formatted
    Free Blocks 412352512
    Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
    Book Type DVD-R
    Media Type DVD-R
    Media Id Code Speed Unknown
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 1.0x 1385KBps
    Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
    2x Speed OPC beta 09
    2x Speed OPC power 11
    2x Write Strategy field 1 11 87 78 90
    2x Write Strategy field 2 A8 82 00 20 00 00
    4x Speed OPC beta 05
    4x Speed OPC power 16
    4x Write Strategy field 1 0D 10 0A 09
    4x Write Strategy field 2 97 07 0E 0B
    4x Write Strategy field 3 C0 00 00 00
    4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 07
    4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 1C
    4x Write Strategy field 4 13 A8 89 65
    4x Write Strategy field 5 B6 89 88 80 00 00
    4x Write Strategy field 6 00 00 D0 00 00
    Data area starting sector 30000h
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    Track Density 0.74um/track
    Number of Layers 1

    I burned 2 of these discs and will burn more tomorow. Because the media code is not supported by my burner these disks burn only at 2x. The quality of the burns are really mid pack. Better than Ritek(old or new), slightly below tawianese MCC. I have never tried prodics.. so don't ask for comparison between them since their price is similar. All the disks are playable but on my 4-5 yr old DVD-ROM on few instances the movie froze for a second.

    I think these discs are probably capable of high quality burns if the burner supports them. If not, as in my case, the burn quality are average to above average. I also wonder if 4X discs burnt at 2x will be worse that 4x at 4x?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member 888888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Turdistan
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pete2828
    well the 50 pack for $19.99 finally arrived.. New egg took forever to proccess and ship them. Each disc is about $0.40. The package is exactly as advertised. The discs are made in Japan. As a mater of fact it says "100% made in Japan" on every disc. The discs were packed with high quality packing inside the spindle. The actual discs look very similar to the dye used by MCC or verbatim discs. Inspection od the dye confirms that the dye is flawless. Here is the media code from DVDinfopro:
    Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
    Media code/Manufacturer ID UTJR001001
    Format Capacity Not Formatted
    Free Blocks 412352512
    Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
    Book Type DVD-R
    Media Type DVD-R
    Media Id Code Speed Unknown
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 1.0x 1385KBps
    Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
    2x Speed OPC beta 09
    2x Speed OPC power 11
    2x Write Strategy field 1 11 87 78 90
    2x Write Strategy field 2 A8 82 00 20 00 00
    4x Speed OPC beta 05
    4x Speed OPC power 16
    4x Write Strategy field 1 0D 10 0A 09
    4x Write Strategy field 2 97 07 0E 0B
    4x Write Strategy field 3 C0 00 00 00
    4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 07
    4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 1C
    4x Write Strategy field 4 13 A8 89 65
    4x Write Strategy field 5 B6 89 88 80 00 00
    4x Write Strategy field 6 00 00 D0 00 00
    Data area starting sector 30000h
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    Track Density 0.74um/track
    Number of Layers 1

    I burned 2 of these discs and will burn more tomorow. Because the media code is not supported by my burner these disks burn only at 2x. The quality of the burns are really mid pack. Better than Ritek(old or new), slightly below tawianese MCC. I have never tried prodics.. so don't ask for comparison between them since their price is similar. All the disks are playable but on my 4-5 yr old DVD-ROM on few instances the movie froze for a second.

    I think these discs are probably capable of high quality burns if the burner supports them. If not, as in my case, the burn quality are average to above average. I also wonder if 4X discs burnt at 2x will be worse that 4x at 4x?
    I was just wondering about this thread yesterday. Thanks for the update. From your post, these don't sound to promising since I doubt my burner would support them either. Still, this has to be the cheapest Japanese DVD media ever.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I thought Kprobe was only accurate on Liteon drives. Claybuster is using a plextor?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member 888888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Turdistan
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dosun
    I thought Kprobe was only accurate on Liteon drives. Claybuster is using a plextor?
    I don't think that's KProbe.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads