VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Best Sci-Fi Movie Series...

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    No B5, this list is bunk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thor300
    What does Captain Picard say when he wake up with hangover and a ugly woman?
    "Enterprise! ONE to beam-up!"
    Excellent!!

I also wonder, does he ever say "computer, Earl Grey.............. Cold." just to see if it's really listening?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hands down Star Trek TV Series!
    Quote Quote  
  4. What i dont get about startrek, the technology can be used for everything sometimes, but not when they really need it. WHen Picard has no weapons and the Borg breath down his neck, why cant he just use the replicator? "Computer, 10 molokov cocktails and a box of matches, STAT! And throw in a Nuke or two, no sugar"
    Gene Roddenberry did the same with Earth: Final Conflict, one day a piece of hardware can blow away the earth, the next episode it cant be used for stiring the coffee. Like Kinkaids Shakarawa, its just not there when he need it. Very convenient. Much better in B5, JMS is a genius.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I voted Star Trek.
    I loved all of the movies with the original cast members up to and including "Generations".

Along with the whale joke posted above...I also loved the "colorful metaphors" on the bus in San Francisco....and Chekov's "Nuclear Wessels"....and "What does he mean by exact change?"

Star Trek wins in my book.
    "Captain.....there be whales here!!! "
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thor300
    What i dont get about startrek, the technology can be used for everything sometimes, but not when they really need it. WHen Picard has no weapons and the Borg breath down his neck, why cant he just use the replicator? "Computer, 10 molokov cocktails and a box of matches, STAT! And throw in a Nuke or two, no sugar"
    Gene Roddenberry did the same with Earth: Final Conflict, one day a piece of hardware can blow away the earth, the next episode it cant be used for stiring the coffee. Like Kinkaids Shakarawa, its just not there when he need it. Very convenient. Much better in B5, JMS is a genius.
    I would -guess- the replicator isn't programmed with weapons. i think it's also been mentioned before there are some things the replicator can't produce - it's not quite the same technology as a transporter, just similar. however with the right pattern buffer (*.awayteam) you could use the transporter to call up all kinds of crap. we know they store the patterns even after rematerialisation because of the ep where Q turns picard into energy.

However, in first contact picard DOES go into the holodeck and call up a tommy gun to shoot up some borg. i was frankly amazed that the holodeck didn't suffer some kind of glitch and lock the doors though, it does whenever someone else goes in there!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Star Trek, especially for it's time.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by flaninacupboard
    Originally Posted by offline
    Where is the option for Blakes 7 ????
    Don't think blakes ever spawned a movie, did it?
    The 1st time I saw Blakes (at a all-nite SF convention)
    it was packaged as 3 movies. On TV & Video it was split. I may
    be wrong as I was 15 and um.. well.. distracted
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    oh well the episodes were split into "stories" of three or four episodes so perhaps they were shown/released as stand alone movies.

The dvd's of the series are finally rolling off the production line after the bbc announced them about three years ago
    Quote Quote  
  10. dvd's of the series are finally rolling off the production line
    Oh goody goody! Love the voice of Zen and the idea of Orac.
    About time though... rotten BBC makes us wait for everything!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yeah, still waiting on the next series of red dwarf. encore had them ready to go onto laser back in about 96, i don't see why the beeb are taking so long for DVD
    And they released series one and two of butterflies on DVD, but are just ignoring series three! how weak is that!
    but at least they're still producing good stuff like the Mighty Boosh and Little Britain. about time they did some sci-fi though, think the last thing the beeb did was Bugs.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I vote for StarTrek for sure, but I would have been voting for

The Outer Limits - The New Series,

if that was an option.

That series must be the best Sci-Fi entertainment out there.
    Hope they will relese all of it on DVD soon.
    The Twilight Zone is also one to look out for...

See Ya
    /Pelle
    Quote Quote  
  13. Oh Yeah! Blakes 7! That's a good one, I have the first season on DVD and it's absolute nostalgia.

/Pelle
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I kinda liked the "Tales From A Parallel Universe" 4 movie set (Prequel to the Lexx series).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Flaystus
    No B5, this list is bunk.
    I agree
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm a Trekker, would you like to be a Trekker too ?
    But i'm only a fan of the Original! no TNG crap or anything that follows!

Like Fry said on Futurama, the best 6 movies ever made! the first 6 movies!
    Nemesis isn't even a Trek movie, you can call it whatever you like, but it's no Trek movie, nothing more then a ripoff from Original Trek movies!

Notice how all the Trek fans quoted Original Trek movies phrases! which by itself proves the Original Trek is the BEST :P
    Email me for faster replies!

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Certified Computer Technician.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    can i just say.........
    KHAAAAAAN!!!
    That feels better
    I'm looking forward to TOS boxsets coming out soon, i'm sure there must be some episodes i haven't seen, and those i have was years ago. i remember the episode with the Horta (Pizza monster! roargh!) the episode in nazi land, the episode in the 30's(?) and that's about it.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I'm a Trekker too but I still think the first movie was woeful
    The Undiscovered Country was in the 'one movie too much'
    category. It was sad to see the aging cast fumbling about as
    if in a pantomime.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by offline
    I'm a Trekker too but I still think the first movie was woeful
    The Undiscovered Country was in the 'one movie too much'
    category. It was sad to see the aging cast fumbling about as
    if in a pantomime.

you did see shatner try and ride a horse in Generations, right? anyay undiscovered country had some good bits, like globules of blood floating in 0g. it'll always be special to me because it's the first film i remember seeing at the cinema
    If you like trek i really strongly advise you to go watch Free Enterprise, it's brilliant! Sequel to be out soon, too.

ST:TMP wasn't woeful, it was just trying very hard to be 2001 with recognisable characters. although i still don't know -what- they were thinking with the dialogue, why did they call the robot a "mechanism"? what the hell?
    Trek movies are next on my list to watch, i'm watching BTTF at the moment. i must have watched those movies 200 times on VHS, and i was given the DVDs last year, watching now for the first time - it's amazing home much stuff i totally missed on video, and how good it looks all round. plus there's some excellent deleted scenes, 1955 doc goes through 1985 docs' stuff in the trunk. find cotton underwear, a hairdryer, and an issue of playboy!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sefy
    Nemesis isn't even a Trek movie,
    I pretend it never happened. I'd like to piss on the guy that thought killing DATA would be a cool plot idea. Dumbass!
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yeah but they have spacko replacement data, and i'm sure georide has a copy of datas brain laying around somewhere. let's just hope he didn't use princo!!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Star Trek

*I'm a doctor not a damn brick layer*
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I know most fans hate Shatner since the "Get A Life" issue, which I actually agree with him. So they make fun of him and mostly ridicule everything he does. But regarind the "riding a horse" you are so far off it's unbelievable, he not only rides horses good, he rides then great, and he even goes to those horse riding things (whatever you call them with all the obstacles) and unlike what people think, he does a lot of charity work for kids, and that makes him a great guy in my book.

As for the first Trek, I think they over did it with the SFX, but it was IMHO a very touching movie with great ideas and a wonderful reunion of the original cast of Trek. As for the 5th film, it would have been so much better, but the damn Paramount cut off his budget and made the movie use lousy effects, it still in my opinion one of the REAL trek movies and really binds the group of charcters together! most fans who hate it is because of the lousy SFX of it.

Sometime I think fans look too much at SFX then the story behind it, like Superman 4 which had garbage but the story behind it was more special in the idea itself. I wish some fans would just grow up and try to look at what the story is trying to say. Like in Trek 5 had the most touching moments in whole of Trek history (Leonard H McCoy and his dad, and Spock's dad). Oh and I loved the camping and the that movie had more humor then Trek IV as well! it's only fault in my opinion was SFX but I don't go watch movies for that, I go because of the Charcters and the Story itself.

Oh and flaninacupboard, I bought Free Enterprise on DVD
    As for the whole Data dying, transfering his brain to his floppy copy (it had to be a 1.2mb floppy to make such a bad copy ) and the re-activation of the memories. I mean, that is so ripoff Spock's Dead/Katra Transfer!

As for Generations, the only good part of that movie was seeing Kirk and Scotty and Chekov in the opening and the whole duo in the Nexux with the Baldy going Pickard (I saved the universe when your dad was in diapers! / you saying history considers me dead, who am I to argue with history ) which again involved Kirk! that was the only life in Star Trek. they turned it into Star Wars after they got rid of the Original cast.

Anyway, that's my opinion :P
    PS: Almost forgot! the Enterprise is the BEST looking ship in space! :P

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You pointy eared hob-goblin :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i like the enterprise, it's easy to draw. try drawing voyager and not have it look stupid!

V annoyed me because they got to the centre of the galaxy -really- quickly. i mean, voyager will take 80 years to cross the centre and get back home, but the crusty enterprise can get to the centre in a few -days- ?! plus the whole god thing was a little weird. and uhura doing a sexy dance just seemed silly.

As for horse riding, it's been years since i saw generations, just remember an old man on a horse.
    Quote Quote  
  26. @flaninacupboard, didn't we have "Apollo" and other type of "gods" in the TOS and even in TNG and not to mention DS9 shows ? so what's the big issue about them meeting another "god" figure ?

As for the speed of the Enterprise vs Voyager, like I said, they are trying to kill everything relating to the old TOS charcters, those idiots Berman and Braga wanting to make Star Trek as if it was their own creation, I mean, if you wanna see the biggest plot holes, consider this:

There are 6 known Enterprise Starships, it was said on TNG even!

NCC-1701 (and it's refit)
    NCC-1701-A
    NCC-1701-B
    NCC-1701-C
    NCC-1701-D
    NCC-1701-E

So where the hell does NX-01 fits in ? not to mention it looks more like one of those absolutly NEW ships in First Contact called the Akira class! B&B are simply trying to eradicate all the TOS timeline.

As for "an old man" riding a horse, i'll remind you that Jean Luck Ricardo is much older :P

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Quote Quote  
  27. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Generations was worth watching just for the dis on Geordy aboard the Klingon vessel:

Geordy: "Who's to say what normal is?"
    Dr. Soren: "Well ...normal is what everyone else is ....and you're not."

I laughed my ass off because Geordy was my least favorite TNG character with his lack of a sense of humor, his arrogant attitude and his preoccupation with himself. Getting a major league dis like that served the damned handicapped dude right
    Quote Quote  

28. He thinks so highly of himself, that his best friend is an android!

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hey, you'd have a ton of respect for the dude if his best friend was a -female- android!

You have to think the federation really hated picard, they gave him a super duper spaceship then dredged the botom of the barrel for the crew! a klingon, a female security chief, a blind dude in charge of the most dangerous part of the ship, a gibbering nervous wreck in charge of transporters, a wussy guidance counsellor, a doctor he fancies but can't shag because of her husband, an annoying and hyperactive boy, and a frigging robot! what a mish mash bunch of losers!
    Quote Quote  
  30. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sefy

He thinks so highly of himself, that his best friend is an android!
    Another great scene from the series was when everybody on the ship got testy because of Sarek's illness and Geordy and Wesley got into an argument. Geordy said something critical of Wes and Wes replied "Well at least I don't have to get my women on the holodeck" He was referring to the program when Geordy created the hot warp scientist (I forget her name) and Geordy fell in love with the character the computer generated
    Quote Quote