VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I just purchased a mpeg2 hardware capture card from avermedia. It is the first capture card i have owned. I was hoping for dvd quality captures from the svideo output of my digital cable system but I have been dissapointed. I have set the capture rate to its maxium of 120k but I get what i can only describe as halos around text such as credits and the images seem grainy. Im not sure if im using the right terms. If someone can recomend a good guide to capturing video with a hardware based mpeg 2 card it would be very helpful. also ive been trying to find a web site that would show me pictures of the different problems that occur while capturing video so that i would be able to use the correct terms to discribe the problems i am having. I am using a custom version of Ulead dvd movie factory 2 se to capture the video and produce dvds which i can play on my sony DVP-C650D. I seem to get better quality results when i capture from the so called movie channels then when i capture from something like tv land or noggin. Im sorry to be so long winded but any help that people can offer would be greatfully accepted.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVerMedia does not make a hardware MPEG2 card that I've heard about. It's just a cheap software card with a BT chip.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well smurf I guest I you need catch up with latest NEWS then.
    AVerMedia M150, M172 and M179 AVerTV PVR TV Tuner they are base on Conexant CX23416 Hardware MPEG2 Encoder or Conexant CX23880 Video Decoder & CX23416 Hardware MPEG Encoder chip aka Conexant Blackbird reference design board.
    Next Up we have the AVerMedia UltraTV Media Center PCI 500, 550, DVD EZMaker Pro PCI and DVD EZMaker Pro USB2.0 they are base on Conexant CX23880 and NEC PD61xxx Hardware Encoder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Tperez2 I not sure what doing wrong but one thing for sure 120k is way to low hardware MPEG encoder.
    You should have a manuel on your CD try look at it
    If want and still can't fig it I maybe able help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Tperez2

Anyway you can post some screen grabs of your captures?

If so leave them full size but you will need to compress them down to 50k or less ... hard to do unless you have PhotoShop.

Or you can put them on a website with a link to it.

I'm really curious to see the pictures.

According to the Avermedia website that capture card not only does Hardware MPEG-2 encoding but also has a built-in TBC.

I would THINK that results would be good with specs like that.

BTW how much did it cost you?

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  6. Im sorry i read the settings wrong it was 12000 kbits. didnt notice the kbits the first time. I paid $113 for it online .

As soon as i get a chance ill post a capture or 2

Computer used for capturing is as follows

P4 3.0 GIG CPU
    ASUS P4P800 DELUXE MOTHER BOARD
    1 GIG OF MUSHKIN 222 LATENCY SPECIAL BUILD RAM
    400 WATT COOLMAX P/S
    ATI RADEON 9000 128 CARD
    WESTERN DIGITAL 80 GIG 7200 RPM HD soon to be replaced by 2 larger sata drives

I would like to hear any advice that you have to offer. have i made a mistake buy purchasing this card?? should i capture in software then convert to mpeg2 instead??

Thanks in advance for all the help.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I used the ulead video studio and pressed the capture button. if this is not what you ment by screen grabs please let me know and leave instructions
    Quote Quote  
  8. Sorry new to this
    [img]https://www.videohelp.com/forum/images/guides/p943845/capture.jpg[img]https://www.videohelp.com/forum/images/guides/p943845/ Like i said i just hit the capture image button on ulead video studio and got this capture. which might not be what you ment for me to do if so please explain about the screen grabs
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  10. First I would like to say im sorry for all the problems with my other posts.

I clicked on the capture image button in ulead vs 7 se to get this image if i was supposed to obtain the image some other way please let me know

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The best to do rec short clip about 30sec to 1min long will do and upload to ftp.shspvr.com/imcoming/ folder that I can go thur the each frame what you seeing.
    But lower you bit for DVD you only need 4000 kbits to 8000 kbits not 12000 kbits that way to high for Home DVD Player being sound like 12MB capture setting which max for all Hardware encoder.
    What you may be see is know interlace which Ulead dosen't do, if have Soft DVD Player like PowerDVD, WinDVD, etc, etc use it to play your clip back see how they turn out that way.
    You want try get latest update from AVerMedia rigth here.
    http://www.aver.com/support/faq_digitalvideomaker_pro.shtml
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks will do that when i get home from work. I thought i would get a better quailty dvd if i captured at 12mb and then converted to 8mb for dvd but of course i could be wrong. And no its not interlacing i know what that looks like I have power dvd 5 which came bundled with the capture card and i never realized that the player was doing the deinterlacing i thought it was a function of the capture card but when i play back the files using media player i notice the interlacing right away.
    Quote Quote  
  13. One more question which is better cbr or vbr?? If anyone is familer with ulead dvd movie factory 2 se please give me any advice you might have to offer i find the documentation lacking.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tperez2
    Thanks will do that when i get home from work. I thought i would get a better quailty dvd if i captured at 12mb and then converted to 8mb for dvd but of course i could be wrong. And no its not interlacing i know what that looks like I have power dvd 5 which came bundled with the capture card and i never realized that the player was doing the deinterlacing i thought it was a function of the capture card but when i play back the files using media player i notice the interlacing right away.
    You are better off capturing at your "target" bitrate than to capture high and then re-encode as that will result in some loss of quality.

Womble MPEG-VCR is a popular program that can edit MPEG video without the need to re-encode.

So far the one picture you posted really doesn't look bad at all to my eyes.

P.S.
    Please realize that interlace capture is normal and it SHOULD be that way. You will not see interlace "artifacts" on a TV screen once you burn to a DVD and watch on a DVD player hooked up to a TV. The original video you are recording is interlaced anyways.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tperez2
    One more question which is better cbr or vbr?? If anyone is familer with ulead dvd movie factory 2 se please give me any advice you might have to offer i find the documentation lacking.
    Generally speaking you should be doing VBR instead of CBR

Quote Quote  
  16. Can someone explain the difference between cbr and vbr and why one is better then the other. also what is the best way to create dvds from the captured video??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Constant Bit-rate ("CBR") or Variable Bit-rate ("VBR") modes.
    In CBR, bits are allocated evenly across the entire program. But VBR addresses the fact that complex scenes are harder to encode.
    In VBR, the average bit-rate may be the same as in CBR, but more bits are allocated to difficult scenes, and fewer to the rest.
    Why I like VBR has do space saving which can be any ware from 10% to 25% smaller vs CBR all depend on how you set up VBR.

CBR is best use for high action movie or high action sports but that agian the video input source has be really good if not you end blockness in high scean area just like in VBR but not in all case it just depand on broadcaster video feed and vhs tape.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SHS
    Well smurf I guest I you need catch up with latest NEWS then.
    AVerMedia M150, M172 and M179 AVerTV PVR TV Tuner they are base on Conexant CX23416 Hardware MPEG2 Encoder or Conexant CX23880 Video Decoder & CX23416 Hardware MPEG Encoder chip aka Conexant Blackbird reference design board.
    Next Up we have the AVerMedia UltraTV Media Center PCI 500, 550, DVD EZMaker Pro PCI and DVD EZMaker Pro USB2.0 they are base on Conexant CX23880 and NEC PD61xxx Hardware Encoder.
    Good to hear AVer is trying to up the quality of their products. Finally!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Yes i remember my first attempt to capture video years ago using the video in port on a asus geforce 2 gts based card and didnt want to repeat the experience so i opted for a stand alone capture card with a hardware encoder chip but it seems ive made a mistake. let me ask is it possible to get dvd quality video this way or am i just asking for too much from the equipment i have??

Thanks again in advance for all the help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Again I see nothing inheritly bad about the one image you have posted.

There really isn't much to do when you capture direct-to-mpeg with a hardware encoder.

The card captures interlaced which is good. You don't want it to de-interlace.

Outside of that there isn't really any tweaking you can do unless you re-encode the capture aferwards using a "video noise" filter of some sort but then again that sort of defeats the purpose of capturing MPEG to start with.

I don't know what kind of controls you have over the capture ... I'm assuming it is pretty basic like resolution and birate control and some simple "picture" setings like brightness, contrast, saturation and perhaps sharpness.

If you have a sharpness control you might want to play around with that a bit.

Also please remember that video doesn't look "so hot" on a PC monitor and will look a lot better on a TV playing it from a DVD disc.

Have you actually made a DVD and watched it yet that way or are you mostly just looking at the video as it appears on your PC screen?

Try making a DVD and watch it on a TV and you might be surprised how much beter it looks VS the PC monitor.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    John has good point there
    And yes it very possable your asking for too much from the equipment you have.
    But I have see one your clip first that help.
    For me when I use my Xcard output to TVset it look way better then on my PC monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I have uploaded a one minute clip to the indicated ftp site. Shs please give me any advice you have thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok Tperez2 in this clip is problem your seeing is when Goober walk towards Andy in the first 10sec of the clip?.
    If not can telll ware this happing at?.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I noticed something there once i looked at the clip again. The capture looks a little "fuzzy" to me what do you think of the overall quality of the capture??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On PC it alway a little bit fuzzy but with my REALmagic Xcard output to my 27" TVset it a diff story.
    Over all the clip look pettey dran good I think but going thur clip with MPEG2VCR frame by frame I think what maybe a problem if over driven filter that maybe cuase interlace bug in turn it also cuase some mosquito artifact.
    Can you cap a cartoon at same bitrate being the artifact well show up much more.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here the clip if any one would like look at it
    Plases rigth click save as
    ftp://ftp.shspvr.com/download/moive_clip/tperez_clip
    Quote Quote  
  27. does the Avermedia 500 or 550 support Linux? I didn't see any drivers on their site and i was wondering if they have any 3rd party drivers I could try.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No Linux far I know of yoda21000
    What input ar e you using Tperez2?.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I downloaded the video clip and found many frames that look really weird just like the one SHS found.

Nasty compression artifacts going on here.

I ran the file through BITRATE VIEWER. Now I just started playing around with this program and it sometimes gives me "odd" results but the bitrate of this file appears to be rather high ... high enough that compression artifacts of this type should NOT be happening!

However the bitrate surely is not 12000kbps so I'm wondering is this a "raw" capture or was it re-encoded from a "raw" capture?

If it was from a "raw" capture then what bitrate was used?

Quote Quote  
  30. The file was captured from the svideo output of my cable box at 8 meg using vbr im not sure what a raw capture is.
    Quote Quote