VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8
FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Of course they haven't. They're too busy sitting in Region1, happily ripping their non-protected discs.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    lol

yet I would have thought some of them would have accepted that what works for them doesn't mean it can't work for others and been man enough to admit it

if they use this method more and more I can see more and more of these threads appearing
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well point in fact is that this method appears to WORK, at least from the distributors' standpoint - not a single dvd backup or ripping program has worked in a workaround for this in the past couple months.

The fact that it CAN be beaten by people with advanced programs and good hardware is immaterial to them - all copy protection has a failure rate and it always has. This method, however, is a real deterrent to those who downloaded DVD Shrink figuring they'd never have to pay for a DVD again.

I can see this gaining widespread popularity - ESPECIALLY if it's cheap to add to a disc.

- Gurm
    Quote Quote  
  4. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    just had a thought, you occasionally get these questions regarding protecting 'backups' asking if they can encrypt it again etc. We all laugh at it because we know you can't and even if you could you would just use DVDDecrypter etc to rip it just like they did. They probably ask this to stop people making copies when the loan/sell their backups to others

but what about people who actually create legitimate DVD's such as weddings etc and sell those? If I was doing this at least I know I could 'protect' my DVD's from being copied by most without some major work

I'm saying this as I've just transferred some old home movies from VHS to DVD. I could have stuck my own personal 'hacking' touch on them if I was selling them as a business. If they want a copy of the DVD for someone else then they couldn't just copy it with a mate's DVD burner and they would have to come back to me as I know nothing can fix them at the minute even though they play back just fine
    Quote Quote  
  5. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I can understand your point about it affecting the masses as this does indeed stop DVDShrink in it's tracks big style. The studios won't be bothered if a small minority of people can get around it by doing this that or the other. As long as the masses cannot just rent/borrow/buy a DVD and press the big red button to copy it then it will be a success for them

it should be cheap to add as it's very easy to simulate this method as is it to do other various things to a DVD to 'cripple' it yet not affect the original playback

I can see one or two tools overcoming this current method but if you put all the 'crippling tricks' I've just tried onto one disc then they may need some serious reprogramming in my opinon if something like DVDShrink was to offer a working backup. Has DVDShrink retired I don't know but I have a feeling he may have to come back out of retirement in the future if people wtill wish to shrink DVD's
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Even if you COULD do that, I'd strongly advise against it. It may net you a few extra sales in the short term, but in the long run you would end up screwing yourself out of a great deal of business. Wedding videos aren't quite the same in the sense that a couple can decide who they want to film / produce their wedding video versus a hollywood movie which only comes from the studios.
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    very good point as who would then recommend that DVD author to his mate for his wedding if he can't copy his own DVD?. I suppose you could offer duplicates at very reasonable prices though, lol . It was just an example as I was really getting at the big movie studios for not doing something a little guy can (although I have been transferring VHS to DVD and I was using a combined VHS/DVD player )

my main point here is that it's funny to think that a movie studio have taken so long to come up with something new to protect a DVD. I already had a few methods to cripple something like DVDShrink from last year and I've just discovered another few the other day that cripple every tool I've tried. All I spent was a few hours yet they will have probably spent $1,000's and many man hours

Originally Posted by ViRaL1
    Even if you COULD do that
    believe me when I say I can 'cripple' them and that's why I posted the pics above to show I could. I would love to say how I do it but I'd rather not at this moment but rather share my findings
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I think the issue is that they had to find something that would cripple everything out there, NOT mess up a SINGLE hardware player OR software player, AND be very cheap to produce.

Also they weren't in any hurry. They wanted to see how the lawsuits against 321 studios came out, and frankly there wasn't any other good "one-button" method for backing up DVD's with good quality until now. Transcoders have FINALLY gotten good enough that they can compress big movies with minimal quality loss. There are FINALLY getting to be simple re-encoders.

This will be beaten, but I guarantee you it's just the first test salvo from the big companies.

I hope the little guy will prevail but I see an ever-escalating battle ahead.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Unless some movie studio contracts MX. We'll be f**ked
    Quote Quote  
  10. petar, looks like this new "protection" is no longer a threat, as both DVD Decrypter and AnyDVD support it in their latest revisions
    Email me for faster replies!

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Certified Computer Technician.
    Quote Quote