VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. JVC claims XV-NP10S DVD-player can actually play DivX. Does anyone have any experience with this player?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I saw this player today at BestBuy for $129.99 couldn't find any reviews on internet, so I think it came out so fast
    Quote Quote  
  3. friend of mine bought this player, so I had a chance to play with it. I think it has the same chip for Divx as Philips 642 has, but DVD playback is better (PAL DVD on NTSC TV). The player (JVC) looks very nice. JPEGs from memory cards are awesome! The only one concern is price - $129.99, almost twice more then Philips.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I got the player, thought it was a fair price to pay since RJ1500 model is @ the same price level. As far as chip being same, not sure, I know that picture is a lot more clear and brighter (have it hooked up to 36" Sony Trinitron TV). My friend, who is in Video Editing, says its cuz of the chip being better then the PHILIPS one. Looks wise, its nice, bright blue light when its on, and just plain SWEET .

Only concern that i've ran into is FIRMWARE UPDATES. Found none on the net so far, may cuz of model being tooo new?!?!! Dont know!

Have a DivX movie that dont play on neither the Philips or the JVC. Just got another that dont play on JVC now., will try to find out if it plays on Philips

Otherwise, Plus for the player, only minus is PRICE, but if you can get the buck, get that JVC, you'll see the difference for yourself!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Bud Nixon
    I got the player, thought it was a fair price to pay since RJ1500 model is @ the same price level. As far as chip being same, not sure, I know that picture is a lot more clear and brighter (have it hooked up to 36" Sony Trinitron TV). ......if you can get the buck, get that JVC, you'll see the difference for yourself!
    How about DivX video with audio encoded as AC3? Does this JVC play them?
    I could not find any specific information on this in its manual. Manual only says that it can play DivX files with MPEG-1 Audio Layer 2 or MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3(MP3). Nothing was mentioned about DivX with AC3 audio. (see page 23 Audio/Video files playback)
    http://books.jvcservice.com/download/937883860/33492.pdf

PS: BTW - how about XviD encoded files?
    Quote Quote  

6. Frustration!!! I dont know what is it with me, may be its just me. Well, the player "JVC" one turned out to be more pain in my butt then I hoped for.

Sat down couple of nights ago to watch Godfather on my CDRs, and JVC said " nothing "... Froze on all of the CDs, wouldnt even eject. Had to unplug, and turn it back on to get the CD out. Tried some other older CDs, wouldnt recognize the older DivXs. I guess its not as good as I thought or hoped it to be.

Went to Target, got the Philips DVP642 again. Played all those movies on it without any probs. ....

Anyways, dont mean to put shame on JVC, but turns out to be that Philips worked a bit better for me. Havent updated firmware on it yet., not sure that I need to either.

Good Luck!
    Quote Quote  
  7. I just got the JVC XV-NP10S 3 days ago(same day I signed up for these forums I've been lurking on for forever),and I'm super impressed with it.Just for the record it does play XviD files and AC3 audio just fine.So far I've only had two avis that it's been unable to play...it said "error reading QPel codec" which I think is an older DivX file maybe,not sure.Other than that,I'm loving this thing so far.

Hey Bud Nixon,sounds like maybe you got a dud or something.Keep us posted on that Philips model,a few of my buddys are eyeballing that model after noticing it's half the price to do the same task as mine.

Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    OK. I do not have this player, but I have Philips DVP642. As far as I know it is (almost) impossible to find a DivX player which does play Qpel. It is a not an older but newer codec, which is more complex. Since it is more complex reqiures more resources and other staff. If you know a player which does play Qpel, I believe it costs alot, &250 at least. So do not worry man it is no problem that it does not play Qpel. After all DVP642 does not. I tried.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Media Tek based players can play Qpel
    Quote Quote  
  10. well, i guess for now i've stopped my search, and staying with the DVP642 model. I figured that quality of the DivX movies that I have is good enough to my eyes, after all, better then VHS tape. Yes, this world isnt perfect, so we cant expect for everything to be working.

the player has been good as far as playing AVIs and all DVDs that i've put into it, PAL or NTSC, its helpful, since i am russian and watch euro standard DVDs.

Good luck to all, keep in touch......
    Quote Quote  
  11. Just for reference and search purposes...I just ran into an .avi with AC3 Dolbly digital and the JVC starts to play it then as soon as the sound starts it stops and says "unsupported codec".No biggie,but the Dolby would have been nice.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I bought this player last week. Ran into a couple of issues. Have any idea?

1. It won't play some Divx file. The color is messed up. You can hear the sound. The divx files are good. They played fine on the computer.

2. Somtimes it skips a few seconds when playing Divx file. The divx files are good. They played fine on the computer.

3. Does it support Divx subtile?

4. Do you know if JVC offer firmware upgrade?
    Quote Quote  
  13. I called JVC customer support at 1-800-252-5722....

I bought this player last week. Ran into a couple of issues. Have any idea?

1. It won't play some Divx file. The color is messed up. You can hear the sound. The divx files are good. They played fine on the computer.

they told me to reset the player by unplug the player for an hour and try again. If it still skips, it's an issue with they player.

2. Somtimes it skips a few seconds when playing Divx file. The divx files are good. They played fine on the computer.

they told me to reset the player by unplug the player for an hour and try again. If it still skips, it's an issue with they player.

3. Does it support Divx subtile?

NO

4. Do you know if JVC offer firmware upgrade?

NO
    Quote Quote  
  14. I picked one up today at Best Buy and so far I've had no movies not work but saw an issue. I tried SVCD, VCD, DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD-RW but the one I'm not sure about is XViD & DiVX. I have Walking Tall but I'm not sure which it is. It would almost slightly distort occasionally (something like applying a sharpen filter to a PhotoShop image) and I noticed my reciever freaking out a bit on the audio.

Has anyone come across whether there's a firmware update or not?

Also, since I'm a bit new at the DiVX, XViD home component stuff, is there a way to tell which format a movie is in? I've played around with a lot of formats which means nothing on a PC since I am up on all codecs but not sure what this one is and was curious for future reference.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  15. I bought this player a few weeks ago. I bought it mainly for DVD's but i've tried some DivX and it works great. I did try one Xvid, it played it but the color was all screwed up and was pixelated. But like I said, I bought it for DVD's. I have no complaints.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Must be XViD that I have because I do have some screwy colors. That seems to be the main problem and the sound works out after the first minute.

Anyone know of Firmware updates yet?

Later!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Out of about 200 divx and xvid cds that I have,there ended up being 36 that it had problems with.By problems,I mean either the sound was messed up,twitchy video,embossed looking video,QPel error...or it just straight up wouldn't play the file.

I wish I knew of a way to tell before I burn a cdr.GSpot will show no real differences in some of the movies that work well and the ones that don't.I'm also still trying to find out a way to tell if the movie has QPel codec in it before I burn it.A lot of the "problem" movies can just be re-encoded with DivX5 using Dr.DivX ...only takes a few hours.

I dunno.All in all,I'm pretty impressed with the player considering the quality of a 700 meg movie being blown up onto my 60" television.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I've had this player for a couple of weeks, now, and here's what I can confirm:

It is certified for the DivX Home Theater Profile. However, I have been unable to get it to play full D1 resolution (720x480/23.976) without skips or hesitations, even at half the maximum bitrate for that profile. Smaller resolutions (such as 704x304) work fine.

Chipset is unknown, I assume ESS. QPEL and GMC are expressly described as non-functional.

It will play .avi files with .ac3 soundtracks, and therefore I assume .wav soundtracks as well, but have not tested it. The manual says only .mp2 or .mp3 audio are supported.

It will also play XviD AVIs. The manual says only once, in passing, that MPEG-4 ASP is playable, and that information is buried in the middle of a paragraph on page 23. Everywhere else in the manual, it only mentions MPEG-4 SP in .asf containers.

No external subtitles are supporte -- I tried six different formats -- and only .avi and .asf containers are usable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This unit is now on sale at BB for $99.99

Click here for web page: LINK

Ethernet (n): something used to catch the etherbunny
    Quote Quote  
  20. How does this player compare w/ the Philips or Lite-on in regards to VCD, SVCD, or meg-iso discs? I've found the Lite-on to be superior than the Philips in many respects including Divx playback. I've had my Philips spit out meg-iso discs that my Lite-on will play w/o a hitch. My Philips also occasionally stutters and skips during divx play on DVD-R, but plays perfectly on my Lite-on. So I'd be glad to replace my Philips with a JVC if it's better.

Anychance this is a rebadged lite-on?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just weighing in on this. I purchased a JVD NP10S last week, and it does indeed play my first attempted XVID file. Frames were lost at times during the show, but as I got the file as a torrent, I have no way of knowing if this was caused by recording or playback.

Very happy with this DVD player so far.
    Quote Quote