VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    This week, NewEgg raised the price on 50 pack spindles of Maxell 4x DVD-Rs 635127s. They used to be $61.30+$4.00 s\h. Now they are $63.00+$4.00 s\h. An increase of $1.70! Now at a 1.34 a disc, I still think this is a good deal considering how great the Maxells are. But isn't media price supposed to go down!? I have a feeling that so many people flocked to NewEgg to buy these that they felt they could jack up the price and gouge people a little. Also, when they went out of stock for a short while, I put myself on the "contact me when these become available" list. I have a feeling that if enough people do this, they will raise the price because they feel they have so many prospective buyers. So I feel guilty.

Anyway, a question: are these Maxells the same as the ones they sold for a 1.70 less? Are they TYs or MXLRG02s? The last spindle I bought was MXL but I wonder if anyone got a spindle recently. Also, does anyone know where to buy spindles of Maxells cheaper than NewEgg, preferably online since New York sales tax is terrible.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Currently the 635127 & 129 printables are packaged in Japan and are MXL's. I know that recently, Maxell branded have been TY's due to high demand. I can't imagine they can't keep up with demand on printables (at this point in time). If they substitute TY's I don't think anyone will complain.

I buy from www.shopperwiz.com and www.pagecomputers.com, but their prices (with shipping) are around the same price as newegg. I just prefer the white matte - 635129, which you can't buy at Newegg.

IMHO, Maxell makes the best quality printables on the market. The engineering and quality control is outstanding. They burn as well, if not better than, their yellow top branded. I have never seen better PI/PO error at the outer rim...extremely tight balancing for matte printables. I can't stand paying for 4.4gb's and getting 4.0gb's of usable....not an issue with Maxell's....good media.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info. I might just buy them from Shopperwiz.

There seem to be two different color stickers for the 635127s,

blue like the ones from Meritline:

and orange like the ones from NewEgg:

Is there any difference. I am a little worried about getting these mystery blue ones from shopperwiz.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Why don't you skip the middleman mark-up and get TY direct from Rima at $1.15 each in 100s? I am always amazed at all the trouble people go through to verify a brand name (repackaged) to determine if it is TY when, in fact it costs more!

Please don't take this personally, especially if you have a reason. I just don't see it.
    Still a few bugs in the system...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    $1.70? You guys are bitching about $1.70?! That's 3 cents a disc!! c'mon
    When I first started buying DVD-Rs you couldn't get generic media for less than $4 each. You should be happy that it's so cheap now.

This thread reminds of one of my customers. Every month he orders from the monthy catalog. Instead of paying $3 to take it home and browse at his leisure (like all the normal customers do) he stands at the counter and spensd 30 minutes browsing the catalog and compiling his order. He only orders off the wall stuff that he can't find on Ebay dirt cheap six months down the road.

One summer the air conditoner broke down. On the same day he came in 5 minutes before close and made me sit there in 100 degree heat and wait 30 minutes for him to browse the catalog! Sweat was pouring off his 50+ year old face. But hey, he saved $3. I guess it was worth it.

There's thrifty and then there's just plain cheap. It's $1.70. Get over it.

If you guys have found a reliable media and a trustworthy retailer that isn't selling fakes like Meritline your'e in good shape
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chas0039
    Why don't you skip the middleman mark-up and get TY direct from Rima at $1.15 each in 100s? I am always amazed at all the trouble people go through to verify a brand name (repackaged) to determine if it is TY when, in fact it costs more!

Please don't take this personally, especially if you have a reason. I just don't see it.
    I may very well buy the TYs from RIMA.com BUT it's not really $1.15 each when you compare to Maxells from NewEgg.

50 pack of Taiyo Yudens
    $60.00+4.96(s\h)=$1.30 each
    50 pack of Maxell
    $61.30+4.00(s\h)=$1.31 each

They were exactly the same price before NewEgg increased prices.

$1.70? You guys are bitching about $1.70?! That's 3 cents a disc!! c'mon
    When I first started buying DVD-Rs you couldn't get generic media for less than $4 each. You should be happy that it's so cheap now.

This thread reminds of one of my customers. Every month he orders from the monthy catalog. Instead of paying $3 to take it home and browse at his leisure (like all the normal customers do) he stands at the counter and spensd 30 minutes browsing the catalog and compiling his order. He only orders off the wall stuff that he can't find on Ebay dirt cheap six months down the road.

One summer the air conditoner broke down. On the same day he came in 5 minutes before close and made me sit there in 100 degree heat and wait 30 minutes for him to browse the catalog! Sweat was pouring off his 50+ year old face. But hey, he saved $3. I guess it was worth it.

There's thrifty and then there's just plain cheap. It's $1.70. Get over it.

If you guys have found a reliable media and a trustworthy retailer that isn't selling fakes like Meritline your'e in good shape
    Do you really think I care about $1.70!!! That was not my point. Obviously someone who buys 1st class media instead of Princos or Riteks is not cheap. I just don't like the fact that NewEgg increased their prices at all. I was honestly hoping for a price decrease from them so I could buy another 50 pack cheaper. I don't think stores should be rewarded for raising their prices while others (like RIMA) have recently lowered their TY's prices so much.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Why so bitter? Do you two have coinciding PMS or what?

@defoe

It's the first time we've seen dvd prices go up, but that's typical Newegg. Dollar or two up/down everyday. They must have some calculation based on supply/demand.

It's not as much about the price as it is about the ethics. Maxell media prices have steadily gone down....Newegg sees their popularity and puts it to their customers...It may be subtle, but they do it.

@Chas0039

We're not talking about non-printable TY's here......we're talking printable Maxell's....which I feel are as good if not better than TY printables (non-printables are a different story). Please read posts a little better before responding.

@888888

I'm not sure about the color difference...but those are Maxell retail bulk stickers. I have never looked at mine very close. I check the media ID first.

A couple notes about Shopperwiz:
    They are a pain-in-da-azz about shipping to an address that's not your billing address.
    Their packaging is just about bulletproof. I thought they sent me a laserjet printer, but after opening 2 boxes with packing material I found the factory box that had the spindle packed nicely. The box had Japanese writing all over it, so when they say direct from factory, they mean it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hawseman
    Their packaging is just about bulletproof. I thought they sent me a laserjet printer, but after opening 2 boxes with packing material I found the factory box that had the spindle packed nicely. The box had Japanese writing all over it, so when they say direct from factory, they mean it.
    Cool. Japanese writing is always a plus. Since you say that these Maxell discs from ShopperWiz were good, I may order them next week.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use Maxell MADE IN JAPAN 4x DVD-R discs but only when I need a small quantity fast.

In that case I buy the 10 packs at Walmart. The price is $16.84 and they even come in full size CD style jewel cases.

But if you are buying DVD-R discs in bulk then do it right and stick with Taiyo Yuden and as mentioned RIMA.COM has them at the best price.

In fact the last 10-pack of MADE IN JAPAN Maxell 4x DVD-R discs I bought at Walmart were guess what ... Media code TYG01 aka Taiyo Yuden.

Apparently if Maxell can't keep up with production they use Taiyo Yuden instead.

What does THAT tell you

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  10. Higher gas prices might have an effect on prices?

Staples this week has a 25 pack of Sony's + or - for $25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    I use Maxell MADE IN JAPAN 4x DVD-R discs but only when I need a small quantity fast.

In that case I buy the 10 packs at Walmart. The price is $16.84 and they even come in full size CD style jewel cases.
    This quote just reminded me that this weekend I noticed that Wal-Mart had the 15-disk spindle of Maxell DVD-R for around $28 (I don't remember the exact price), and the 10-pack in jewel cases for $16.84. That makes the jewel-case disks $1.68 per disk and the spindles around $1.86 per disk. I thought spindles were supposed to be cheaper. Go figure.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ebenton
    Originally Posted by FulciLives

This quote just reminded me that this weekend I noticed that Wal-Mart had the 15-disk spindle of Maxell DVD-R for around $28 (I don't remember the exact price), and the 10-pack in jewel cases for $16.84. That makes the jewel-case disks $1.68 per disk and the spindles around $1.86 per disk. I thought spindles were supposed to be cheaper. Go figure.
    Last time I was at Walmart to buy some was about a week or so ago. Same thing. The 10-pack was cheaper per disc than the 15-pack.

I bought 2 of the 10-packs

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chas0039
    Why don't you skip the middleman mark-up and get TY direct from Rima at $1.15 each in 100s? I am always amazed at all the trouble people go through to verify a brand name (repackaged) to determine if it is TY when, in fact it costs more!

I've had nothing but issues with the Taiyo Yuden printable DVDs. They like to over glue the edges, which causes the glue to seep out on to the bottom of the disc and attach fuzzies from the printable side of the disc. I've purchased 150 silver printable from Rima, 150 white printable from Rima, 150 from cddeminsions, and 200 from mediasupply, every single disc was unusable past the 4.1gb mark because of these fuzzies. I even sent 75 discs to a Taiyo Yuden rep. which, out of my surprise, never contacted me back after I sent the discs to him.

TY printables suck in my oppinion.

I too, only order Maxel Printables from www.shopperwiz.com , thanks 100% to Hawseman. After reading his comments a few months back, I started ordering from them. BUT, shopperwiz also raised their prices on the Maxell too, but it was less than a $1 per 100.

I think I might order some of the 8x Verbatim hub printables this week, along with my usuall maxells.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Dude, Newegg has to jack up prices from time to time. They always sell shit cheaper than everyone else mana dn they have the best service and an awesome site. Be patient and prices will go down again. Trust me. But you have to keep your eyes open for deals. Stalling as much as a few hours can lose you a deal with newegg.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DUDES!
    Supply and demand! Business is supposed to make profit! If you don't like the price then don't buy! You can find a substitute or do without or shop elsewhere. I don't think that you will die with out DVD blanks. I don't know why this thread struck me so hard I am as poor as the next guy but still think that people in business are allowed to turn as much proffit as the market can bear. I had to vent and got to go befor I get political!
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    > One summer the air conditoner broke down. On the same day he came in 5 minutes before close and made me sit there in 100 degree heat and wait 30 minutes for him to browse the catalog! Sweat was pouring off his 50+ year old face. But hey, he saved $3. I guess it was worth it.

You could have just given him the catalog. Even if you sell it at cost it's only $3. But hey- you saved $3 so I guess it was worth sitting in the heat for 30 minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by disturbed1

I've had nothing but issues with the Taiyo Yuden printable DVDs. They like to over glue the edges, which causes the glue to seep out on to the bottom of the disc and attach fuzzies from the printable side of the disc.

I think I might order some of the 8x Verbatim hub printables this week, along with my usuall maxells.
    Brodda from anodda modda...

Quality printables are hard to come by (especially white matte)...but those Verb Hub printables have been calling to me too.

D1, if you get some of those puppies, could you post your opinions. I'll be interested in your findings.

@ZAPPER

I don't have an issue with it. I have 4 PC's built from Newegg. I understand and support capitalism. That's why I suggested another couple of resellers. And that's how it works, dick with the price, buy somewhere else. I think we're in total agreement.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could have just given him the catalog. Even if you sell it at cost it's only $3. But hey- you saved $3 so I guess it was worth sitting in the heat for 30 minutes.[/quote]

That's an interesting take on the situation but a rather simplistic one.

1) Simply giving him the catalog would have cost me much more than $3. He would have expected to get the catalog for free every month. This would also be unfair to all the customers who pay for the catalog.

2) $3 is well below the cost of the catalog and the shipping charges. He's not even willing to meet me halfway. The retail price is printed right on the catalog and it's well above $3. I charge $3 so that I don't completely lose my shirt. Most customers appreciate that I'm not trying to gouge them and gladly pay

3) I don't make a dime off this guy. If I make a profit of $10 in a month on him I'm lucky. More importantly, he is constantly pulling crap like this.

I would be very happy if I never saw him again he's an irritating pain in the ass. Nonetheless, I am courteous and polite to him, I engage him in conversation and treat him with respect every time he enters my store.

It really irritates me that he is willing to go to those lengths to save $3. If he is, I'll be dammned if I'm going to let him off the hook. If that 3 bucks is that important to him let pay for it in sweat.

That's that difference between us. For him it's about $3. For me it's a matter of principal- it's got nothing to do with the money. I'm tired of his crap.

I don't know why, but cheap people just irritate the hell out of me. Not the normal ones. I'm talking about the people you see on a talk show that split thier 2 ply toilet paer in half to extend the life of the roll. WTF?!

Anyway, I would like to apologize to the original posters. There was no point for me to come in here and jump on you. I'm not really a troublemaker, it just struck a nerve. You guys were just looking for a place to vent. I still don't agree with you but I should have let it be. Sorry guys.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by dafoe
    Anyway, I would like to apologize to the original posters. There was no point for me to come in here and jump on you. I'm not really a troublemaker, it just struck a nerve. You guys were just looking for a place to vent. I still don't agree with you but I should have let it be. Sorry guys.
    NP, forums are good therapy.

I've taken the hard road to dvd burning and I'm a forum member because of it. I've delivered and received my tongue lashes, but my bitterness has subsided. I'm just here to offer some help now, albeit crappy sometimes.
    Quote Quote  
  20. 8888888888:

I've shopped at NewEgg occassionally and noticed their prices do fluctuate a few bucks here and there from day to day. I've come to expect that from most online retailers. If the price of what you're looking at goes up a few bucks, it'll probably go back down sometime soon... maybe moreso at NewEgg than others. I've noticed that for the Ritek DVD-R's, among other things...
    Quote Quote  
  21. Dude, Newegg has to jack up prices from time to time. They always sell shit cheaper than everyone else
    I call Bullshit on you. NewEgg doesn't sell 'shit' cheaper than everyone else.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I usually buy almost all my pc components from newegg not only because if their very competitive prices but because of their world class customer service.

Their prices may not always be the lowest and may fluctuate a dollar or two up or down but that's their prerogative as a merchant. If I find a lower price for dvd media at another online merchant, then I buy it from there and not newegg. They even have a disclaimer on their site that they will not match any lower prices on other sites. I have the option of buying from them or I can go somerwhere else.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    888888 AND ALL
    Looks like I may have jumped the gun a wee bit on this one. (oops sorry)
    At first I thought you where really bitching about the prices for no reason. After some thought I realize that it is your prerogative. But what I really missed was the "spirit" or the "thrill of the hunt" for all you bargan hunters. You guys help out alot of others by keeping them posted on the best deals around. Keep up the fight and I will try not to slow you down.
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Agree with Aglips. At first the no price matching threw me off, but they do have top-notch CS.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Two and a half months and the price is $64!!! Sorry NewEgg but I am taking my business to PageComputers.
    Quote Quote