VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Thread
  1. USB doesn't capture as good as a Firewire or an Analog card. If you only want a inexpensive and easy way to set up and capture VHS tapes, it's not too bad. I was using my DV Cam as a bridge to capture with to make VCD's. I purchased a Pinnacle LINK USB converter which came with Studio 7 SE capture editing software. Cost $49.00. Capture 320X240 avi files(was able to force 720X640 results choppy). LINX will also work with Virtual Dub And Huffy codec. The included software will render to avi, mpg, wmf, realvideo8 and VCD formats. Quality is ok. Not quite as good as the DV bridge, but hey, inexpensive way to get into Non lineniar editing and be able to learn how. Be sure and turn off all the programs you don't need running.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Inexpensive - yes, if you don't already have a DV camcorder. Most of those run at least several hundred dollars. It seems that a <$200 box that captures MPEG/MPEG2 directly without need for tremendous hard drive useage and 8 hours to encode is worth it, IMHO of course.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Check out the Pinnacle Bungee - works great in RT MPEG2 encoding off the USB 1.1, it also has a TV tuner and both S-video and compsite in. Make terriffic SVCD and full DVD MPEG2 files with no dropped frames/choppiness/lost audio video sync so this USB as an issue is a Red Herring. Product works out of the box and aftger having struggled with both ATI and Hauppauge devices, it was a blessing. Also has a burner function that will take the captures and burn them to the DVD or CD burner.

T H I S P R O D U C T R O C K S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    one mans opinion
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Rich927
    USB doesn't capture as good as a Firewire or an Analog card. If you only want a inexpensive and easy way to set up and capture VHS tapes, it's not too bad. I was using my DV Cam as a bridge to capture with to make VCD's. I purchased a Pinnacle LINK USB converter which came with Studio 7 SE capture editing software. Cost $49.00. Capture 320X240 avi files(was able to force 720X640 results choppy). LINX will also work with Virtual Dub And Huffy codec. The included software will render to avi, mpg, wmf, realvideo8 and VCD formats. Quality is ok. Not quite as good as the DV bridge, but hey, inexpensive way to get into Non lineniar editing and be able to learn how. Be sure and turn off all the programs you don't need running.
    LOTS of old/misinformation - my Pinnacle Bungee which runs off USB has a maximum capture rate of 9.5 mb/s at 720x480 [with no chop] last I checked can't get much higher and it works - which is way more than I can say about any other product I tried Dazzle, Hauppauge, ATI. Cost was $249 after mail-in rebate. I think this issue of USB was a way for manufacturers to deflect criticism but, to me, I see USB as no longer a issue.

BOTTOM LINE don't believe everything (anything) you read - stuff is changing constantly.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm using a FusionMPEG USB model (up to 6Mbs MPEG1/2) (www.dvico.com) and am extremely happy with it. It runs on my Armada E500 laptop, and I've had absolutely no problems capturing MPEG1 (VCD) or MPEG2 (SVCD, DVD up to 6Mbs)
    Quote Quote